Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My battery backup setup
RE: My battery backup setup
As Dude said, only one bridge (of 4 diodes) are required.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The reason I suggested the 10 amp fuse was because the ResMed converter pdf says it uses a 20 amp fast-blow fuse. In our case, operating at 24 volts requires half the current (10 amps).

Well, for some reason I decided to look at the pdf again and I noticed that the converter will run on 24 volts too. That certainly adds some versatility.

Just something to keep in mind.
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2016, 11:27 PM)verbatim1 Wrote: I will google for a freeware schematic program (if they exist), which would make things far simpler to draw (and better looking).

Check out DipTrace. It's what I use and there's a freeware version.
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2016, 11:59 PM)sdb7802 Wrote: The reason I suggested the 10 amp fuse was because the ResMed converter pdf says it uses a 20 amp fast-blow fuse. In our case, operating at 24 volts requires half the current (10 amps).
Thanks for explaining that we only need to worry about half the current, so, we'll stick with a 10A fuse.

In addition, it would be nice to see if ResMed offers a BATTERY 24V supply, because they'll specify the voltage range.

For example, in this "ResMed Power Station (RPS) II" factsheet PDF, they say their Lithium Ion battery (which has a different range than SLA batteries), is 24 to 26VDC plus or minus 1/2 volt so that's 23.5 to 26.5 volts for that one supply.

http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/p...er_eng.pdf
[Image: m6Ilj3.gif]
(06-12-2016, 11:59 PM)sdb7802 Wrote: Well, for some reason I decided to look at the pdf again and I noticed that the converter will run on 24 volts too. That certainly adds some versatility.

I searched for that PDF and I think I found a 16-page user guide for the 12/24VDC DC-to-DC converter for the S9 here:
[link to commercial DME website removed per rules]
(I presume the A10 is the same as the S9?)

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2016, 12:08 AM)sdb7802 Wrote: Check out DipTrace. It's what I use and there's a freeware version.

Thanks Steve for suggesting Diptrace.
I found the Windows freeware here: http://diptrace.com/download-diptrace/
32-bit http://diptrace.com/downloads/dipfree_en.exe
64-bit http://diptrace.com/downloads/dipfree_en64.exe
Post Reply Post Reply
Steve,
Just to be on the safe side, what do you think about us considering adding a 24VDC voltage regulator?

Googling for 10 amp 24VDC linear IC voltage regulators, I found this, for example:
Linear Technology LT1038 10A Positive Adjustable Voltage Regulator
http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/1038fa.pdf

The datasheet says it can handle inputs up to 35 volts and it can output transient amperage of 24 amps for 500μs.
[Image: UJy4p7.gif]

Googling further, I found this Texas Instruments LM138 & LM338 series 5 amp voltage regulators (12 amps max) which can be set to regulate at 24 volts:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm338.pdf
[Image: Hjg8aQ.gif]
I also found the ST L4970A which is a 10Amp switching voltage regulator, but at 15 pins, it was more complicated than the other two 3-pin devices for me to understand whether it fits our needs.
http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/t...000080.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2016, 06:41 PM)verbatim1 Wrote:
(06-12-2016, 11:59 PM)sdb7802 Wrote: Well, for some reason I decided to look at the pdf again and I noticed that the converter will run on 24 volts too. That certainly adds some versatility.
(I presume the A10 is the same as the S9?)

The S9 is different from the A10. It has a different input connector and requires a different dc converter.

You can find the A10 dc converter pdf here: google "directhomemedical airsense-cpap-dc-cord-instructions-for-use.pdf"
Post Reply Post Reply
Is the discussion past the point, in terms of required effort, of making the expensive resmed power box look attractive?

As a dedicated tinkerer, I can't believe I just said that.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2016, 07:17 PM)verbatim1 Wrote: Steve,
Just to be on the safe side, what do you think about us considering adding a 24VDC voltage regulator?

Googling for 10 amp 24VDC linear IC voltage regulators, I found this, for example:
Linear Technology LT1038 10A Positive Adjustable Voltage Regulator

The LT1038/LM338 are linear series pass regulators which means the output voltage is always lower than the input voltage. The L4970A is switching buck (step-down) regulator which has the same limitation.

A buck-boost regulator will output the correct voltage whether the input voltage is lower or higher than the input voltage (within limits). The ResMed converter will do this for either a 12V or 24V battery input.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2016, 08:16 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Is the discussion past the point, in terms of required effort, of making the expensive resmed power box look attractive?

As a dedicated tinkerer, I can't believe I just said that.

OMMOHY

Really attractive. I'll run my battery test and if it works; I recommend we post the simple circuit for those who want to tinker.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 73 8 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,672 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,326 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,815 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 197 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 1,937 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 248 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.