Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My battery backup setup
RE: My battery backup setup
Hi, I have a very similar S9 set-up and it works great. I have made mine more user friendly and bit safer by permanently bolting the cables at the battery terminals (rather than using the crocodile clips provided by Resmed) and using 2 x Anderson plug connectors between the battery and the 12volt socket/transformer to enable quick connect and disconnect. I also cover the positive and negative battery terminals with rubber covers to avoid a potential safety issue : if something metallic falls on the exposed battery terminal and shorts, it will arc, spark & could start a fire - not good if you are asleep!!
Also I keep the humidifier attached with water in it (to reduce noise as well as provide some humidification) but I switch off power to the humidifier because it saps a relatively huge amount of power from the battery when off-grid. Hope this helps, Cheers, Ian
Post Reply Post Reply
What is this connector called? I have resmed power pack for s9 but only used once since i bought it. Thinking of adding USB port in it to make more use out of it. 6 pin female outlet on power pack have 5v on one pin, i am thing to buy this 6 pin connector and make adapter to USB charging port. 

Sorry not allowed to add picture yet, here is link : 
http(remove me) s:// dropbox.com/s/kk8e2rlgawuhid1/IMG_20200129_123117.jpg
Post Reply Post Reply
There are heaps of 12v to 24v boost converters available for around $2 to $5. 12v (from your 12v battery) goes in one end, 24v out the other. They are rated at 5 Amps. Send me a PM and I'll send you a link.

I have a couple of small solar panels on the house wall, and a solar charge regulator that charges a 12v battery bank. Almost always ready for emergency lighting, 12v power tools etc. Running a 12v to 24v converter is simple.

If you're concerned about shorting the battery, just duct-tape a piece of foam board cut to the width and depth of your battery. If you sleep walk while wielding a steel screwdriver your battery should be quite safe Smile
You can't go back and you can't stand still, if the thunder don't get ya the lightnin' will.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 12v to 24v converter
This is what they look like:

You can't go back and you can't stand still, if the thunder don't get ya the lightnin' will.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2020, 03:53 PM)braindead Wrote: There are heaps of 12v to 24v boost converters available for around $2 to $5. 12v (from your 12v battery) goes in one end, 24v out the other.

Yes, but they will not work on a ResMed machine because ResMed has a third conductor in their converter that sends a proprietary signal.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That doesn't surprise me.  Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's an old thread around here somewhere about how to build a circuit that will supply the necessary current to that third conductor.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Would you see if you can find the post showing the circuit? I looked but found nothing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Using the search terms, "resmed"+"connector" and "resistor", yielded these threads:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid240849
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ckup-setup
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...pid=297245
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid297626

To help in the future; The Search feature's default search is for thread titles, change this option to "Posts".  It's good think of other items that may be relevant when searching.  Also, look at the bottom of the thread that you are currently viewing for possible related threads.

Good luck.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
I had built a ResMed 12V to 24V using the small PCB converter and a voltage regulator for the third pin and it works well.
Today I would just buy a compatible converter for $32.85.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 167 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 5 1,905 04-02-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 10 298 04-02-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 54 4,731 04-01-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Charliejoe
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 2,028 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 231 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 2,016 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.