Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My blood pressure
RE: My blood pressure
ok thank for the replies

I noticed this morning my BP when I got up was 179/98
2 hours later its 160/92
Looks like its trying to regulate itself but have read a lot that the high BP readings in the morning are very common with untreated apnea because your body through the nite is oxygen deprived
Post Reply Post Reply
bp is higher in the morning at waking and then lowers after the first hour.
Post Reply Post Reply
my bp is lower in the morning and then raises when i drink coffee -- sometimes a lot -- but until finding out that my coffee need was really apnea I haven't been willing to entertain the idea of ditching it. now, I feel as if I really could, and people that know me will be shocked to hear it (if I tell them) but the BP isn't going up after coffee the way it had been either. a nice 134/87 after coffee this morning! (medicated, tho)
Post Reply Post Reply
A short treatise on how the body regulates BP:

One system is a fast response system that uses baroreceptors in the carotid arteries in the neck.
When we rise from a sitting or supine position, the pressure to the brain needs to remain nearly the same or we would get dizzy or even pass out. These receptors directly impact vascular tone and cardiac output to keep stable pressure to the brain.

The primary regulation is a closed loop feedback system that involves the kidneys, liver and adrenals. The kidneys are the "flow meters." They secrete Renin in proportion to the need for more flow -- which requires a change in vascular tone, and cardiac output -- which translates to increased BP. Renin is metabolized in the liver to angiotensin 1. Next pass, it is metabolized to angiotensin 2. Angiotensin 2 in a potent vasoconstrictor -- along with other effects on the kidney and heart. ACE inhibitors reduce Angiotension 2. (The first generation such as captopril worked on angiotension 1.) Angiotension 2 promotes the secretion of Aldosterone -- which signals the kidneys to retain sodium and water. It's a closed loop system. Many BP meds act by shifting this feedback loop. (Diuretics reduce sodium and water retention, calcium channel blockers dilate the vascular system [some have negative inotropic effects on the heart, reducing output], beta blockers reduce cardiac rate and stroke volume, et cetera. Some people require multiple BP meds to achieve control.

Then we have the direct adrenal response. Part of our fright or fight system. Norepinephrine and epinephrine quickly increase cardiac output, stroke volume and rate.

Now, a BP that is episodically high is somewhat unusual; and warrants further investigation.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2014, 05:08 PM)justMongo Wrote: A short treatise on how the body regulates BP:

One system is a fast response system that uses baroreceptors in the carotid arteries in the neck.
When we rise from a sitting of supine position, the pressure to the brain needs to remain nearly the same or we would get dizzy or even pass out. These receptors directly impact vascular tone and cardiac output to keep stable pressure to the brain.

The primary regulation is a closed loop feedback system that involves the kidneys, liver and adrenals. The kidneys are the "flow meters." They secrete Renin in proportion to the need for more flow -- which requires a change in vascular tone, and cardiac output -- which translates to increased BP. Renin is metabolized in the liver to angiotensin 1. Next pass, it is metabolized to angiotensin 2. Angiotensin 2 in a potent vasoconstrictor -- along with other effects on the kidney and heart. ACE inhibitors reduce Angiotension 2. (The first generation such as captopril worked on angiotension 1.) Angiotension 2 promotes the secretion of Aldosterone -- which signals the kidneys to retain sodium and water. It's a closed loop system. Many BP meds act by shifting this feedback loop. (Diuretics reduce sodium and water retention, calcium channel blockers dilate the vascular system [some have negative inotropic effects on the heart, reducing output], beta blockers reduce cardiac rate and stroke volume, et cetera. Some people require multiple BP meds to achieve control.

Then we have the direct adrenal response. Part of our fright or fight system. Norepinephrin and epinephrin quickly increase cardiac output, stroke volume and rate.

Now, a BP that is episodically high is somewhat unusual; and warrants further investigation.

Just took my BP now its 140 over 85/John
Post Reply Post Reply
So I still think I see some evidence of the BP lowering, attached is 2 weeks data. Is it lowering?

slow but sure.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Kilbarchan - just go see your doc, and that is advice FROM a doc, okay? And don't monitor it constantly, either - if you have your own cuff, as you seem to, just spot check every now and again (and I mean every couple of days) - your bp moves around a lot, and unless your doc puts a 24 hour holter bp device on you, there is little meaningful data you can collect if you don't know how to interpret the results. Your bp is high and needs treatment - CPAP will not bring it down rapidly. If there is greater than 10% difference between arms, when measured over three tries on each arm alternatingly (go for the last figures, the first tries on each arm as just you settling down), then there may be an indication of a circulatory problem, and a cardiologist may be the next step after your doc.

I am not supposed to give out medical advice directly on the forum in my professional capacity, but this one I give happily, in the hopes that I am not contravening the rules here - GO TO YOUR DOC AND LET HIM/HER DECIDE WHAT'S WHAT. Constant self-monitoring only gives you Med Student Syndrome. Feel free to take a graph of your readings to your doc and what you were doing just before each reading, and your posture at the reading. BTW, if you use a wrist cuff, they are very inaccurate compared to an arm cuff. They pick up all sorts of noise that messes up the the readings. End of professional advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks doc - sorry I sort of hijacked the thread from kilbarchan1 talking up my bp checks. I do think I might have come down with med stu syndrome as you suggest (warn against). I am using a wrist cuff and have noticed wide variation. I try to maintain the same posture for each reading, and take 4 measures on each arm (but do all 4 before switching to the other arm).

kilbarchan1 - are you still wondering if you have apnea? When is your sleep study scheduled?
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2014, 08:50 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: thanks doc - sorry I sort of hijacked the thread from kilbarchan1 talking up my bp checks. I do think I might have come down with med stu syndrome as you suggest (warn against). I am using a wrist cuff and have noticed wide variation. I try to maintain the same posture for each reading, and take 4 measures on each arm (but do all 4 before switching to the other arm).

kilbarchan1 - are you still wondering if you have apnea? When is your sleep study scheduled?
Yes still having issues my test is mid January and between them I have various tests to get as well
Post Reply Post Reply
QAL - wrist cuffs pick up a lot of noise just from arm movement and any ambient movement, so they don't always do a good job. An arm cuff is less given to noise pick up and give a better and more consistent result.

Repeated testing on one arm, then the other is not very useful if you are looking for variance between arms. Also, three times is more than enough - first measure is settle down, second and third should show some consistency between measurements - if not, then examine if you are changing posture or otherwise causing a pressure change.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 229 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,639 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Health] Dizziness and high blood pressure Okbutton 2 518 06-13-2023, 08:58 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,556 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Impact of blood pressure medication kemeky 16 1,483 01-15-2023, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.