Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My blood pressure
RE: My blood pressure
I was told by a cardiologist whom I respect to donate a wrist cuff I had. I was told they are especially useless on an old geezer like me.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, they are, Mongo - near useless- good to have in a pinch, I keep one in my emergency bag, along with a single lead 30 second and continuous EKG device and other sundries. The reason I keep a wrist cuff in my bag? Smaller, and way more robust - the readings are often crap, but I know that going in and know how to eyeball the readings and glean what I need. I used to carry a full arm cuff, but they kept getting broken - too large and too delicate (it's the bloody hose and connector that break) in comparison with the wrist cuff I have (Sanitas is the maker). I do not recommend them for non medicos, and they are useless for old buggers and infants. I have my tricks to deal with such situations. Still waiting on my new, ultra small heart resuscitation device (a cardio stimulator the size of my fist, real neat toy). Someone sent me a new stethoscope that had a battery operated amplifier last week for my kit - I asked him if the thought I was going deaf or something. It ended up with a hear-off - same patient - who hears the most heart murmmers and lung weeps. I won hands down - yes, I have loss of hearing, considerable, in fact, but since I started out with far better than average hearing in the first place, and my loss is in frequencies not carried by stethos, I can still hear better for diagnostic purposes than doctors half my age (and so many of them are, now.....).

Don't even bother to donate the wrist cuff - toss it, buy a cheap arm cuff from Medisana - they cost very little and are as accurate as can be, when measured against my mercury and stetho I keep in my office or the reference device we use to calibrate sphygos here.
Post Reply Post Reply
went to my own Doctor and got blood work done today
He is also setting up appt with a Cardiologist just to be safe
He upped my Blood pressure med from 2.5mg to 5mg as he said the 165/95 was still too high and he wanted to get it down lower
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2014, 11:15 AM)kilbarchan1 Wrote: went to my own Doctor and got blood work done today
He upped my Blood pressure med from 2.5mg to 5mg as he said the 165/95 was still too high and he wanted to get it down lower

Very good. Did the doc prescribe a single 5mg dose or two, 2.5 mg doses AM and PM?

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
just single dose I take it in the evening
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2014, 11:44 AM)kilbarchan1 Wrote: just single dose I take it in the evening

Interesting given the short half-life of ramipril. I would think twice a day dosing would be better -- but he's the doctor.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2014, 11:15 AM)kilbarchan1 Wrote: went to my own Doctor and got blood work done today

Unless you are around 90, yes, that is way too high. You want to see, if you are in your 50's (I am sorry, I didn't notice if you mentioned your age) something in the region of 130/85 or lower, with 120/80 being just about text book. 165/95 is just plain up in the orange zone, not a place you want to be in. To be honest, I would want to see you lower your diastolic pressure even more than the systolic - 0nce your diastolic starts getting toward 100 there is real Trouble in River City. So, yeah, keep at it.

You did not mention if you have taken on any lifestyle changes as well, but I do suggest reconsidering your diet and exercise habits, but most especially your diet, moving yourself away from carbs and sugars. This will help regulate your pressure to a given extent as well, but I would guess you need a trip to the cardiologist tout de suite.
Post Reply Post Reply
Doc: He's 57 years. You continue to surprise me with your knowledge of English idioms like: "Trouble in River City"
How many languages do you speak?

-- Mongo
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2014, 12:57 PM)justMongo Wrote: Doc: He's 57 years. You continue to surprise me with your knowledge of English idioms like: "Trouble in River City"
How many languages do you speak?

-- Mongo

7 (if you include Latin and Ancient Greek), but I can swear in 16 or so.

When I was a young fellow, my father advised me that, since I would be travel a great deal and be a citizen of the world (as we Swiss tend to be) I should master certain phrases in as many languages as possible: "Hello" "How Are You?" "Give Me Something to Eat" and "That Girl Looks Good."

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2014, 12:43 PM)DocWils Wrote:

Unless you are around 90, yes, that is way too high. You want to see, if you are in your 50's (I am sorry, I didn't notice if you mentioned your age) something in the region of 130/85 or lower, with 120/80 being just about text book. 165/95 is just plain up in the orange zone, not a place you want to be in. To be honest, I would want to see you lower your diastolic pressure even more than the systolic - 0nce your diastolic starts getting toward 100 there is real Trouble in River City. So, yeah, keep at it.

You did not mention if you have taken on any lifestyle changes as well, but I do suggest reconsidering your diet and exercise habits, but most especially your diet, moving yourself away from carbs and sugars. This will help regulate your pressure to a given extent as well, but I would guess you need a trip to the cardiologist tout de suite.
yes my BP was always in the 130/80 range and they actually found it increased by accident as I went to the emergency with torn rotator issues and when they took my bp it was elevated
I will see cardio in 2 weeks then go from there but your right the last year I have stopped playing soccer ( used to play pro) and have just been very busy with our 8 yr old as well as work and dont get the exercise I used to
My diet has never been great so starting this week I have cut out sugars, and a lot of carbs, been eating green mostly including green smoothie in morning, and have started drinking beet juice, lots of Vit C and K2, multi vitamins as well as Omega 3's. Hoping that helps a bit
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 229 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,643 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 923 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Health] Dizziness and high blood pressure Okbutton 2 518 06-13-2023, 08:58 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,556 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Impact of blood pressure medication kemeky 16 1,489 01-15-2023, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.