Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My c-pap is paid for
My c-pap is paid for
I am doing fine with my AHIs and as well as can be possible. Why would I need a follow up visit? As I said, my machine is paid for I just got a new headgear from another supplier? Am I obligated due to Medicare to have a waste of time boring follow up visit? because my sleep doc no longer contracts with Resmed. I so hate to go there. Borrrrriiiinnnngggggg!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My c-pap is paid for
(09-20-2012, 10:56 PM)Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Wrote: Why would I need a follow up visit?
I suppose you don,t if everything is satisfactory but I do see my sleep doctor at least once a year and more if needed

Post Reply Post Reply
I would never go to a sleep doc that also sells equipment.

It is a good idea to see the sleep doc once a year for the first several years. After that, you can monitor your data and how you feel. As soon as you feel wonky or the pressure or AHI start going up, then it is time to see a doc. Also watch your blood pressure if you do not already. Any climb in that [i]could]/i] mean your treatment is not as good.

Even if your doc doesn't "do" Resmed anymore, it shouldn't matter to him. His job is taking care of the patient, not the manufacturer. And if he won't see you because you have a Resmed, well, then you know his priorities.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I do not buy from my sleep doc. My headgear etc is Resmed but machine is respironics and Medicare paid for most of it a few yrs ago. I had a sleep study a little over a yr ago and have seen this doc every 6 unnecessary boring months. My B/P depends on how much salt I consume. I have never found any sleep doc to be of much benefit. They say so little and tell you nothing. I have back up new never opened headgear and many pillows. I don't need anything right now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Then you just answered your own question.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
If your machine is paid for and you are trending your data in ResScan and/or SleepyHead and you are satisfied with your results, I personally don't think you need to see the sleep doc again.

If you are not satisfied with your XPAP data trend, you might consider seeing the doc.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2012, 07:15 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Then you just answered your own question.

I don't do sleephead or read any datascan whatever you said. I feel ok, and can tell when I need a new set of supplies. I just wonder if I am obligated to keep seeing this doc because Medicare requires it.that is really what I meant to ask. Do I have to go because Medicare says I do? BTW the supplier I have now because they have a contract w/ResMed supplies me with more than I need and is generous with new pillows etc. My doc used to supply me and lost the contract and they were always very hard to get new supplies from. I did however get refused my Auto titrating machine from current supplier but the doctor did get me what I wanted at the time,and claimed they absorbed the loss of money. I think they got paid plenty and didn't loose any profit according to what I have read here before. Is that confusing? What I just said? YES, DMEs lie and don't want you to change anything, or know anything. The girl today said I might need a different pressure. I told her it is auto titrating. I did not tell her that I also know I could change it if I wanted to cuz I know how from this forum. Teeee Heeee.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, I don't think I fully understand what you are asking.

If Medicare says you have to see him, then you do. That's one group you do not want to make angry.

I have Medicare and Medicaid. They have never made me go see any doctor on a regular basis for any of my conditions. I saw my sleep doc twice in the three months after I got my first machine. I did not see him again for another four years. It's been 3 yrs since then. Neither insurances told me I had to go.

Unless you used sleep apnea as your diagnosis (or one of them) to get disability (and therefore Medicare), I don't see why they would tell you to go. If you did use it as part of a disability application, the only time they would require you to go to the sleep doc would be for reviews.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Until late last year, I had not seen a sleep doc since I first got my machine 5 years earlier, and he had told me then there were no required return visits (I'm also Medicare). Whenever I decided it was time for a replacement mask, I contacted my DME and received one. Then, last year I wanted to try a different model mask. When I contacted the DME, I learned that there was now a new Medicare requirement in place about patients needing to see a sleep doc at least once each year to qualify for changes including a change in mask model. So, I concluded that it's a good idea for me to do so.
Sleeping Beauty, shifting subjects slightly to what you wrote about your DME refusing to give you an auto machine, my understanding is that a DME had no choice but to turn you down. What they apparently did not tell you when they said no is that a DME cannot change a patient's machine without having a script from a doc to do so. The DME's actions must be in response to doctor's orders.
Also, I am not aware of any requirement that would stop you from switching to a different sleep doc whenever you want to do so. So, why not make a change if your current one doesn't work well with you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would just do what they want. You may not need supplies now, but it would be nice to have them pay for them when you do. Boring? I always take a book with me to any doc appt, actually I take one of my electronic readers so I have several books!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has anyone had travel CPAP paid for by Medicare? DelawareTim 0 773 04-16-2023, 08:05 PM
Last Post: DelawareTim
  When is your machine paid for? Mark Sadler 17 2,892 10-23-2018, 04:03 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Compliance question. Do I need to have a follow up if I paid out of pocket? Piggles 7 1,864 02-06-2017, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Joe Fox
  Have you paid your sleep debt yet? zonk 17 13,831 10-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Last Post: zonk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.