Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My c-pap is paid for
RE: My c-pap is paid for
Thanks folks. No, I am far from qualifying for any disability related to sleep apnea. I never applied for that. My current sleep doc was my DME I guess and where everything came from, from machine to its related supplies. Then they lost ResMed and I now get supplies only from a big monopoly here that brings them to my door. I can go in mid November and take a book. I bet nothing will be different but I hope my weight will be down some. My sleep doc is a good as any I figure. I have no major or even minor issues so I am fine. I guess I need to keep Medicare happy. I am always compliant because I actually like my machine and have used one since I got it. BTW I did not know any sleep apnea qualified for disabiliity but I think in some if not most cases it should. Especially where my 40 yr old friend died when she fell asleep and never woke up. If she was not on disability she should have been. She actually did not use a wheelchair or cane but quite obese, and it killed her. She was a client, but I liked her.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep apnea would not qualify for a disability according to the US Social Security disability. The only way it could is if the person could not be adequately treated via machine or surgery and the sleepiness was preventing them from having 'gainful employment'. SSA disability is a work thing. Persons who receive disability income from the SSA are eligible for Medicare.

Sleep apnea does, however, qualify a person for protection under the US Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). This is even if the xPAP is working well for them. The ADA is a public accommodation and work thing (unless you work for a state or the federal gov't). A person can qualify for protection under the ADA and not be disabled according to the SSA.

It would be possible for sleep apnea to be included in with a person's application to add to the accumulative effect. In that case, Medicare and/or the SSA would require the person to be checked whenever they (the agencies) feel a review is necessary.

This is why I don't understand why Medicare is 'making' you see your sleep doc. Maybe the difference is that I am 'on disability' and you are not? /shrug Who the heck knows how these groups think?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2012, 10:56 PM)Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Wrote: I am doing fine with my AHIs and as well as can be possible. Why would I need a follow up visit? As I said, my machine is paid for I just got a new headgear from another supplier? Am I obligated due to Medicare to have a waste of time boring follow up visit? because my sleep doc no longer contracts with Resmed. I so hate to go there. Borrrrriiiinnnngggggg!

If it is just your Sleep Doctor who wants to see you on a recurring follow-up basis, that has nothing to do with Medicare requiring it.
It is just your Sleep Doctor who wants to do recurring follow-ups with you.
Even though Medicare would be paying for the appointment (or a portion thereof) if you kept the appointment, Medicare does not care that you do not keep the appointment.

You have NO obligation to keep these appointments.
Just cancel the appointment & tell them you will reschedule it later.
Don't even tell them you will reschedule it if you ever feel you need to meet with them. They do not need to know why you cancelled it.

When I got my most recent prescription for my ResMed S9 AutoSet in January, 2012, the Sleep Doctor scheduled me for a 3 month follow-up.
It was my intention to cancel that appointment at a later date.
But, I received a call about a month before the appointment telling me the Sleep Doctor would be out of town on the date of my appointment.
They wanted to reschedule it for a later date.
I just told them I would call them when I knew when I could be available.
It is now October & I have never called them back. Nor have they called me.

Unless you have a standing appointment, they really have no real system for following up with you.
Just cancel your appointment & you will probably never hear from them again.

Then YOU can call them for an appointment when you feel you need one.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has anyone had travel CPAP paid for by Medicare? DelawareTim 0 827 04-16-2023, 08:05 PM
Last Post: DelawareTim
  When is your machine paid for? Mark Sadler 17 2,946 10-23-2018, 04:03 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Compliance question. Do I need to have a follow up if I paid out of pocket? Piggles 7 1,880 02-06-2017, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Joe Fox
  Have you paid your sleep debt yet? zonk 17 13,882 10-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Last Post: zonk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.