Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What are these numbers telling me?
Question 
What are these numbers telling me?
After 10 years on an old CPAP, I've changed to a BIPAP that provides a not of "numbers" that tells me a lot about the therapy and how I'm doing with the new machine.  But what are these numbers telling me?  Here's a quick review:

One day / 7 days / 30 days

Therapy hours: 9.1 / 8.2 / 8.4

AHI: 13.4 / 12.3 / 10.4  (non-therapy diagnosis is, Group 5 OSA, AHI 53.9)

Mask fit: 88% / 73% / 77%  (definitely wish this was better)

I don't really know what to expect from APNEA therapy.  Other than being 80 years old, I have other health issues that may limit what therapy can and can not do for me.  I'm diabetic (controlled), high blood pressure (controlled), congestive heart failure (medicated), and an irregular heart beat (afib), (medicated not but fully controlled). 

I know, I've got one foot in the grave and the other one on a banana peeling, but I'll be damned if I won't go down screaming!!

So what do these numbers tell me?  Huhsign
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What are these numbers telling me?
cobradoc,
What your numbers show me is that your AHI is too high.

In your other thread, http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ound-Forum
folk asked you to download OSCAR and post a chart of your data.

I know you said you didn’t see a reason to do so, and you could get all the information you needed from the machine display.  Here’s the thing...those numbers are for the current day, 7 day and 30 day averages.  It doesn’t give a breakdown of your AHI, which means: Are you experiencing mostly Obstructive, Central (Clear Airway) or Hypopneas?  It doesn’t show if you are having a problem with Flow Limitation or RERAs.

We have knowledgeable folk here that can look at your charts and be able to give you much better advice if they can see your data.  It may just be that your pressures are not setup optimally for you.

See the links below in my signature line.  Download OSCAR.  Then use your SD card to download the data from your machine to your computer.  The links below will guide you on how to setup the charts and use the attachment feature to post.

I believe you said you could get your daughter to help you with that.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2019, 06:46 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Here’s the thing...those numbers are for the current day, 7 day and 30 day averages.

You could have your head in the oven, your feet in the freezer, and on average you're doing okay! Too-funny
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your numbers tell me that your therapy needs to be looked at in greater detail and that your EPAP and IPAP need to be changed
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2019, 06:46 PM)OpalRose Wrote: cobradoc,
What your numbers show me is that your AHI is too high.

In your other thread, http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ound-Forum
folk asked you to download OSCAR and post a chart of your data.

We have knowledgeable folk here that can look at your charts and be able to give you much better advice if they can see your data.  It may just be that your pressures are not setup optimally for you.

See the links below in my signature line.  Download OSCAR.  Then use your SD card to download the data from your machine to your computer.  The links below will guide you on how to setup the charts and use the attachment feature to post.

I believe you said you could get your daughter to help you with that.

You refer to "my chart".  Is this the data collected on the chip or the chart created when I took my last APNEA evaluation?

If it's the chip, OSCAR will allow me (or someone) to read the data?

Sorry to sound so stupid (or stubborn), but that comes with the territory.

(06-29-2019, 07:08 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-29-2019, 06:46 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Here’s the thing...those numbers are for the current day, 7 day and 30 day averages.

You could have your head in the oven, your feet in the freezer, and on average you're doing okay!   Too-funny

I like that!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2019, 08:25 PM)bonjour Wrote: Your numbers tell me that your therapy needs to be looked at in greater detail and that your EPAP and IPAP need to be changed

I'm getting ahead of myself here, but who and how are these settings changed?  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2019, 07:04 AM)cobradoc Wrote: You refer to "my chart".  Is this the data collected on the chip or the chart created when I took my last APNEA evaluation?

The data is on the SD card. The free OSCAR software makes the chart using the data stored on the SD card.

(06-30-2019, 07:12 AM)cobradoc Wrote: I'm getting ahead of myself here, but who and how are these settings changed?  Dont-know

You can change them using the clinician's menu on your CPAP machine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2019, 07:04 AM)cobradoc Wrote: You refer to "my chart".  Is this the data collected on the chip or the chart created when I took my last APNEA evaluation?

You are not sounding stupid, but stubborn is ok. Smile  If you look through the forum threads, you will see many folk post their OSCAR data, referred to as graphs or charts.  Look at the ones posted and you will see the same examples where I suggested you use the tutorials in my signature line to help you organize and submit your OSCAR chart here.

Yes, the machine records to the SD card.  Once OSCAR is installed, remove the SD card and place it in the card reader in your computer.  NOTE: remember to put the card back in your Cpap when finished.

Don’t worry about changing any settings right now.  Enlist your daughter to help by following the links below and post your data here.  

Also, use this link to order the Clinicians manual for your machine.
https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2019, 08:25 AM)OpalRose Wrote:

You are not sounding stupid, but stubborn is ok.  Smile   If you look through the forum threads, you will see many folk post their OSCAR data, referred to as graphs or charts.  Look at the ones posted and you will see the same examples where I suggested you use the tutorials in my signature line to help you organize and submit your OSCAR chart here.

Yes, the machine records to the SD card.  Once OSCAR is installed, remove the SD card and place it in the card reader in your computer.  NOTE: remember to put the card back in your Cpap when finished.

Don’t worry about changing any settings right now.  Enlist your daughter to help by following the links below and post your data here.  

Also, use this link to order the Clinicians manual for your machine.
https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual

----------------------------------------------

Okay, that sounds like a plan.  Getting the clinicians manual sounds interesting.  Since my machine is new and I really don't own it yet - insurance (MEDICARE / TRICARE For Life) is paying for it, there may be some push-back on me changing the program if it needs changing.  I'll cross that bridge when I get too it.  Thanks for your responses.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 122 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 359 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 608 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  Central Sleep Apnea AHI numbers too high chathamite 12 1,022 11-19-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Numbers are better but I feel worse LikeaGlove90 2 512 09-24-2023, 12:10 AM
Last Post: LikeaGlove90
Sad Waking up around 4-5am every night. Occasional Aerophagia. Good numbers? jkang9080 3 540 08-22-2023, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] AM97 Therapy Thread: Help me interpret OSCAR and get my numbers right am97 6 779 07-14-2023, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.