Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My cpap journey
RE: My cpap journey
Thanks. As soon as we get a new printer I'll print that. I find print easier than viewing online lol. Perhaps I didn't we the pillow right. I could try one of my wife's nose masks, but I put one on years ago and it made me claustrophobic. I wear a respirat0for work so I'm used to that feeling. Maybe when I'm eligible for new stuff I should get a F20 mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2019, 06:10 AM)Lee Rilea Wrote: No idea what the mask fit function is or how he access it. I tried the travel pillow, it kept pushing my mask off my chin resulting in leaks.

This proves the chin-tucking theory. If you can get your chin under the travel pillow and knock off the mask that is exactly what is causing your positional apnea.  I think the sooner you can move to a comfortable soft cervical collar that supports your jaw, but that you can't defeat by getting your chin under, the sooner your problems will clear up.  A soft collar not only corrects the positional problem of chin tucking, but it supports the back and bottom of the jaw helping to keep your mouth closed so you breathe nasally. This supports proper mask position and prevents leaks.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are they available on Amazon or do I get them from my DME provider? What do I look or ask for?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2019, 11:43 AM)Lee Rilea Wrote: Are they available on Amazon or do I get them from my DME provider? What do I look or ask for?

Don’t buy from your DME as they are not covered by insurance, and even if they had them, you would pay a small fortune.

Any local pharmacy sells a one size fits all collar, but I feel you would do better looking on Amazon.  There are many different brands to choose from.

Search for soft cervical collars.  Before ordering, measure your neck circumference, then add a couple inches.  Also consider the height of collar.  3 inches is an average height.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks  This forum is a gem!
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are last night's results. I used this wedge shaped memory foam pillow we had gotten when we bought our new mattress, with the large part of the wedge facing my shoulders. It helped keep my head tilted back. I had less leakage, but still woke up a number of times. Still had the very dry mouth so I must be mouth breathing at some point. My AHI was below 10, barely at 9.9. Do you still think a cervical collar would improve things? Would that in combination with the pillow keep my mouth shut or should I get chin straps? Where do I get those?
Post Reply Post Reply
The right combination....cervical collar, comfortable pillow that supports your neck, etc.
This is just something only you can try and see what works best in your situation.  Comfort is important.

Look at your chart.  You can see the two main groupings of Obstructive events.  This points to a positional sleep problem...chin tucking.  

You won’t know if a collar works unless you try it. Same with a chin strap, which is covered by insurance, but probably won’t work as well as a collar.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could you explain how to read the charts? They might as well be in Spanish lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2019, 08:21 AM)Lee Rilea Wrote: Could you explain how to read the charts? They might as well be in Spanish lol.

The only thing I can suggest is to start reading and comparing charts and graphs to others and the advice given.  This link may help you, but don’t be overwhelmed by it all.  It takes time to understand the graphs when comparing to the statistics on your charts.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...rpretation
Click on OSCAR daily screen.

More information here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ailed_Data

In your case, as I and others have pointed out.  You have a positional sleep problem which is aggravated by chin tucking.  Look at the Obstructive events on your graph.  There are two groupings where the Obstructive events are very close together.  This is probably chin tucking, which cuts off your air supply.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. Tonight I'll try both the pillow I just mentioned and the travel neck pillow. I plan to order a cervical collar.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 3 819 11 hours ago
Last Post: gzaw
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 64 3,164 03-12-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,231 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Dr. Steven Park details his UARS journey gainerfull 3 609 12-18-2023, 12:01 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  Twobigwheels - CPAP Therapy Journey Twobigwheels 34 1,177 11-27-2023, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  The Journey Begins - clearairways Therapy Thread clearairways 76 4,336 11-04-2023, 06:48 AM
Last Post: clearairways
  A few questions whilst I navigate my journey (masks/flow rate) Rebdr 11 787 10-30-2023, 02:17 AM
Last Post: Rebdr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.