Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My experience with UARS
I'm 43 and grew up as a mouth breather due to stuffy nose related to allergies.  I haven't slept well since my teens though it was a lot more subtle in the beginning.  Last year, following progressive bad nights over the years, went to an ENT.  Had sleep study done that showed an event every 9 minutes and oxygen level minimum at 82%.  Doctor recommended UPP but I felt that was way too drastic.  Instead, I opted to correct my deviated septum and reduce my turbinates on the first working day of this year.  Around 3 weeks after surgery, my sleep quality somewhat varied from excellent - dreaming sometimes.  Something that I haven't done consistently since my 20s - to same as before surgery.  On my last visit, the ENT told me about my tongue positioning and that it should rest on the palate (i always kept it on the bottom due to underbiting of top jaw which made the palate space area a bit smaller and it felt too crowded to keep my tongue up there).  He asked me to visit a dentist.  Before I got to that, I found out through googling about orthotropics.  Since last week, been trying to reeducate my tongue with instructions from orthotropics.  So far, my sleep has been a lot more consistent.  According to SnoreLab app, I no longer snore.  What is weird though is that I sometimes wake up because of my dreams.  They aren't nightmares, but since I have spent decades without dreaming, I think I've grown unacquainted with it and probably have to adapt.  Even though I wake up with dreams, I don't feel tired, my thinking is no longer fuzzy and I don't get easily irritated as before.

I also have GERD and prediabetes which my doc says are most likely side effects from UARS.  I'm having a new sleep study and prediabetes test done in April.

I hope this is of value to the forum members.  I know how awful it is to go without decent sleep.  Wish you all good health.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for posting. I'm sure it will be helpful to others.

Let us know the results of your sleep study.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi namealreadyregistered,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Thank you for sharing this information.
Good luck to you and let us know how things go for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oral Appliance for UARS modernsportscar 3 210 01-28-2017, 08:03 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  UARS - ENT Recommended Septoplasty/Turbinate Reduction....experience? LB1982 14 805 01-19-2017, 03:59 PM
Last Post: vader06
  Advantage of auto-BPAP over regular BPAP for UARS? rbwilli 1 172 01-10-2017, 05:40 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike
  Anybody has experience with the Provent system? Russatrice 10 491 12-15-2016, 08:45 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [CPAP] New to the CPAP experience - questions DynamicMaroonPenguin1961 11 652 10-18-2016, 08:32 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  My Experience and Some Questions Lourens1190 7 461 10-14-2016, 04:19 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Anyone with UARS here? JohnnyTenFingers 2 334 10-13-2016, 03:48 PM
Last Post: PaytonA