Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My first week on CPAP
Grin 
My first week on CPAP
I've used my new machine for about 10 days now. I really thank everyone in the forum for the discussions, because, right after dx, I was looking around at the options for machines, and wanted to see how people felt about their equipment, how they adapted, etc. Because of what I read here, I realized I wanted an S9 Autoset, and your info helped me realize that if that's what I wanted, I was going to have to ask my doctor for a precise prescription. My doctor also has an affiliated CME dispensary, but they said they don't supply ResMed. Without me even asking, they said they would refer me to someone who did supply the brand, and gave me no trouble when I asked for that precise prescription.

Within a few days, the DME RT arrived at my home with all my new equipment. When first diagnosed, I was so depressed. Hubby has CPAP, it's Respironics (same Dr. group) is a bit noisy, and I had nightmares about all the headgear. I'd found the Bella Loops and wanted to try them. I really was wondering if I would actually receive what I asked for, and whether there would be any hanky panky trying to get me to settle for something else. I also worried they might try to upcharge me since I'm on Medicare. None of that happened. Everything very straightforward. The RT demonstrated the equipment, had me sign the relevant forms and all went well.

I wanted the Bella loops because I have hair that goes in every direction as it is during sleep - several cowlicks and fine hair just add to the fun. In addition, I have severe arthritis in both my shoulders and can't reach the top of my head with my left arm, making it impossible for me to even put my hair in a ponytail or use clips to pull it up, much less be able to affix a chinstrap or headgear. I was so glad to see the Bella Loops!

I've used them about 9 days so far with very few problems. Still getting the hang of fitting them, but most nights no leak at all. Have never had my machine report a night of poor mask fit. My AHI's are always below 2, and mostly below .55. I've had some very minor nasal irritation but have only once or twice even bothered using Ayr on my nostrils. My worst problem was my ears had some soreness that I was able to put up with since I was so motivated, but it was a problem. So I ordered the SnuggleCover set for the Bella, which give you four covers, two for the headgear and two for the loops.

Had some problem installing, LOL. First tried the longer set, since they were the length of the loops, but they did not have the same circumference as the shorter ones. After putting one on, I realized it would be nearly impossible to easily adjust the straps with it on. So I decided to try the shorter covers. They were much larger and easier to apply using the paper clip to help guide the Bella Loops through the fabric. I found they fit perfectly across the part of the loops that go behind the ear. Then I put the original covers which pad the cheek area back on, and they both fit together well, covering all needed areas with no overlap. Last night I used them for the first time and they were like heaven - I felt no discomfort at all!

I noticed some people felt the Snuggies were too thick and/or bulky, but I find that even though they are loose on the loops, it has no effect for me putting them on my ears. I just feel a nice soft fabric against my skin. Perhaps they changed the material - mine are made from soft jersey like my jersey sheets, and the fabric itself is not too thick. I think they used the exact material as in my sheets, because the color looks like my sheets did when they were new, LOL.

I did notice that ResMed states people who have ears which are not detached at the lobe will often have trouble with the loops because their design depends on circling behind the ear. If there is no detachment of the lobe, there is nowhere for the loop to go except across the lower part of the lobe. They also stated that if it did not feel comfortable first trying on, that was a sign they were not suited for the user.

In the same vein with the fact I would have problems using headgear, was the fact that I probably would never be able to fasten a chin strap correctly. So I tried something I found online, "Chin Ups" which are a sort of bandaid type affair. Using instructions I found on YouTube, I found them a lot easier to apply, even for a klutz like me, than I ever dreamed. Wash face, put on a little Vaseline, wipe off excess, apply strip under lower lip, lift up on tabs and fasten them on cheek. Not uncomfortable at all, doesn't mess up my hair, and miracle of miracles -t hey actually work! My snore barely registers on Sleepyhead and I used to be a terrific snorer.Perturbed Not any more. Best of all, my leak levels and AHI are great, as mentioned before.

I have the S9 for Her - what's not to like? LOL. It's beautiful! I love the pinky-orchid color and it looks so beautiful on my nightstand. I was afraid I might not be able to get the pink and I hate gray. Something I found in my online searches - Skin It for ResMed! If you're not familiar with "skins," they are adhesive backed vinyl custom cut to fit devices from phones to laptops to --- ResMed! They come in a plethora of designs - floral, wood look, sports logos, just about anything you can imagine. You can also design your own.

Call me shallow, but the ability to have a nice looking device lifted my spirits considerably when I learned of my diagnosis. But, best of all, I love it because it's quiet and it does the job. I am reasonably comfortable at night, I'm getting used to hearing myself breathe, and I am beginning to actually have some energy!

Thank you all for helping me find my way through this maze. I may not be the therapy flop that I once feared thanks to you all.

I-love-Apnea-Board
To sleep; perchance to dream...
[Image: resmedforher.gif]
[Image: Sleepwellpink1_zps36e39dba.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My first week on CPAP
Congrats on coming to love your therapy - from one "used to be" terrific snorer to another! Keep up the good work....I'd be interested in the skins tho, I hate my plain old grey! Will check em out. Thanks for the heads up!
Post Reply Post Reply
You have a good attitude toward cpap therapy which I feel goes a long way in helping adjust to it. I bought the S9 as well, in the boring grey though, like you I wanted a machine that not only performed well but looked great too and the S9 does both. Now if only ResMed had a pale green one I'd buy it in a flash. I'll check out the skins in case they have something I like.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm so glad to hear that you're not just doing well, you're doing great! Obviously, we get a lot more posts here from people having problems and seeking advice, as you'd expect. I want to thank you for sharing your story so other new xPAP users can see that some people do adapt quickly.

Best of luck with your therapy. I glad you found this forum and I hope to keep hearing from you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Consider doing a review of the mask and the Bella loops.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...iews-Forum

If in the future the mask you have no longer works, try the Breeze. It's hard headgear means it can be put on one-handed.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi renatae, I wanted to say thank you, for your post and I'm glad you are doing so well with CPAP therapy. Your great attitude will go a long ways and will help others that might have more trouble getting used to it.
As far as color of machine goes, you do whatever works for you.
I look forward to more of your posts,..
CONTINUED SUCCESS.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2012, 09:07 AM)Allen Wrote: You have a good attitude toward cpap therapy which I feel goes a long way in helping adjust to it.

Agreed. Having used CPAP for 14 years it is a dull routine and my habits became so sloppy. At times I wondered if it helped or not and frankly I could take it or leave it. My wife had to often remind me to "wear your snore mask." With the S8 and S9 machines, now that I have something modern I'm trying to make use all the time. But it wasn't always easy.

Quote:I bought the S9 as well, in the boring grey though, like you I wanted a machine that not only performed well but looked great too and the S9 does both. Now if only ResMed had a pale green one I'd buy it in a flash. I'll check out the skins in case they have something I like.

I'll consider skins later. The respiratory therapist told me that the S9 Escape I have is now what I am stuck with unless my Otolaryngologist decides that it would be in my best interest to have the S9 Auto machine. And since I've used the Tranquility Quest for so long, the S9 is actually a fresh new colour and I don't really mind.
While I'm borrowing an S8 for the next few weeks I appreciate its additional functions. It's adequate but I'll have to give it back in early December.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all for your responses and encouragement!

Allen, I saw celery, celadon and sage, to name a few. Also some muted designs featuring pale greens. Some not so muted, such as houndstooth. Weeble, I see you share my feelings about grey! I find it pretty depressing. Unfortunately, the skins are a bit pricey, but they are good quality. I've used them for my phones and for my laptop.

Thanks, Paula, for letting me know the Breeze can be put on one-handed! And congrats on your new AutoSet! i find it sort of amazing when a DME will swap out a machine like that. Of course, IMO, there shouldn't be bricks in the first place. Even if the user is indifferent, one would think the doctor would care to keep as close tabs on efficacy as possible.

Trish6hundred, thanks for your encouragement as well. I've always appreciated all your encouraging posts so much.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2012, 01:44 AM)renatae Wrote: Allen, I saw celery, celadon and sage, to name a few. Also some muted designs featuring pale greens. Some not so muted, such as houndstooth. Weeble, I see you share my feelings about grey! I find it pretty depressing. Unfortunately, the skins are a bit pricey, but they are good quality. I've used them for my phones and for my laptop.

I did do a search and found the skins you are referring to and liked the celery color, but because I live in Australia it becomes a bit expensive with air freight added. Hopefully I will be able to find someone who supplies them locally.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry to hear that, Allan - postage rates can be so problematic internationally.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 103 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 484 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 202 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 222 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  My Mother did an In-Lab sleep study last week. Phaleronic 4 503 11-22-2023, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  First week CPAP. Had such high hopes...advice tuumi2000 2 563 09-16-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: tuumi2000

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.