Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My first year as a hosehead
RE: My first year as a hosehead
(01-11-2014, 06:07 PM)Remo Wrote: Vinegar seems like a good idea, but the instructions say not to use it, or alcohol.
From memory the instruction not to use vinegar or alcohol to clean the mask silicone cushion not for the water tank
S9 water tank is made of steel

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Remo,

I've only had my current device less than a month, so this response is largely based on my previous S9 Autoset.

I found that using a small headed soft bristle toothbrush effective at getting into those areas where my water tub seemed to build up crud missed during my typical daily washing routine. Looking at my new PR System One water tub, I can see that it has many more areas that might potentially need attention. That said, i replaced my first S9 water tub at about 9 months due to a breakage (my fault) of the 2 smaller plastic nub things on one side of the lid that the clamping part needs to lock onto. I next replaced the tub around 12 months later when I got my new device and was packing away the Resmed device as a backup (since passed on to an in-law looking to get an S9 Autoset).

Machine filters are a relatively low cost item and were replaced monthly. I replaced the ClimateLine at around 12 months. The old one seemed fine but i figured 12 months was probably EOL for this type of component.

Mask parts were replaced as needed. Up until recently I used the Swift FX. I found that pillows lasted about 2 months, headgear about 4 months, and I changed the mask short tube at the same time as my devices ClimateLine tubing based on the same reasoning.

Im in Australia and everything apart from the APAP devices themselves are purchased out of pocket, although safety-net arrangements seem to exist for those in need. My own private insurance covers only $500 towards the purchase of an APAP device provided certain criteria are met, e.g. having undertaken sleep lab testing within the 18 months prior to purchase. On the other hand, my insurance covers 100% of the cost of things like sleep lab testing.

I buy the majority of my CPAP supplies online from the US where practically everything is at least half of the price being charged here. To minimise shipping costs I tend to make annual bulk purchases at only 1 or 2 suppliers. I'll typically get a heated hose, water tub, mask short tube, and at least enough device filters, mask headgear and cushions/pillows to last me through the next year. Due to a change in mask type and APAP device offering alternative hose routing possibilities, this year I've added the purchase of some 'comfort' type items to my purchase list which has meant sourcing from a couple of additional suppliers - Whether this will impact my purchasing strategy next year is still unknown.
Post Reply Post Reply
My insurance company replaces CPAP supplies as follows:

1 month: 2 disposable filters, 2 nasal cushions (or nasal pillows for those that use them) or 1 FFM cushion
3 months: climate line tubing, frame with cushion
6 months: water chamber, chin strap, head gear

Most insurance companies follow the medicare guidelines which I have listed above (this is for the US of course).
Post Reply Post Reply
Mold...scary. I hope you can get it clean or get a new one. I have one that I can take apart and wash every day.
Every morning I throw my nasal mask and small hose as well as humidifier tank into a plastic basin with warm water and Ivory dish washing soap. I hang it to dry and it is ready at night.
I replace mask cushion every month and hose every three months. Headgear every 6 months. I think we can get a whole new mask every three months.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2014, 10:13 PM)Lukie Wrote: Mold...scary. I hope you can get it clean or get a new one. I have one that I can take apart and wash every day.

Yeah, I was not thrilled with seeing it. The top comes off of mine, and most of it I can get into to clean, but there are a couple of small spaces in the back corners, I could not get into even with a... cotton tipped applicator. (had to think how to say that without mentioning a brand name. Rolleyes)

I spent a day trying to get it cleaned out and then decided to just replace it. It got me to wondering, what else should I be replacing, and how often....

Post Reply Post Reply
Once you get the tank clean make sure you empty and dry every day, I heard some people mention using the mask fit test to blow air through it. I just empty every last drop out and store upside down and has stayed clean. Mold can not grow in a dry environment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 46 3,090 04-16-2024, 05:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  1 Year of Therapy Still Dealing With Fatigue and Headaches Zzera 7 274 03-31-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] One year in, need a reality check BuzzaJim 2 160 03-30-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: BuzzaJim
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,727 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  It's Been Almost a Year With My aPAP, Still Need Help AP0011 2 332 01-20-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Last year, AHI <1. This year, AHI >5. WTF? srwilsn3 14 852 12-17-2023, 11:41 AM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  Medicare cpap 5 year replacement policy Sonno 4 595 09-11-2023, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Sonno

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.