Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My husband finally got his new machine
My husband finally got his new machine
My husband's been on Cpap for years, and for a while it was working wonderfully.  

However for the last year and a half he's had more and more mornings where he's waking up feeling fuzzy brained again.  He went back to his doctor, and they did an at home test, and announced that he was fine and needed no changes.

Then I got diagnosed, started doing research, and found this forum and Sleepyhead.  

However when I attempted to look at his data we discovered that his Resmed S9 Elite was corrupting the SD cards.  I was able to load some summary data for a few days, and a couple days worth of full data, into SH, but that was it.  I did notice however, that while his AHI was always under 5, he had a few days, here and there, with AHI's in the 3-4 range.  But wasn't able to get full data for those days.  The few days I was able to get data for were all good days.

This past week he has finally managed to get his new machine, a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset.  However his DME just set it to the same settings as his old machine.  I've loaded up the few days worth of data he has on this machine so far, and I'm looking for input on what I should be setting his machine for, to take advantage of the auto features.  Of course the few days so far have been good days, but hopefully you all will have ideas!  His mask is the ResMed Swift FX.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My husband finally got his new machine
Ruth,

Try 6-10 EPR 2 That brackets the fixed 8 by 2. as soon as the ramp ends (you may want to see if turning the ramp off works for him) EPR 2 will have him start at EPAP 4 IPAP 6 with EPR2.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
And be sure to set the write protect thing on the SD card before you put it in a Windows computer.  Windows writes some weird indexing file to removable memory that screws up the card for use in an S9.  S10's can handle it, S9's can't.  Be sure to set it back before you put it back in the machine, too.
Post Reply Post Reply
yup, that at least wasn't the original problem, but I've been write protecting them SD cards anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
I get perfect scores on 8-10 EPR 3, but i feel awful, I get perfect scores on 12-17 and feel much better, anything in between CA's in the 30-40.

I can't imagine him being on baby pressures of 4-8 solves anything but his ahi. Before I was diagnosed i had to sleep close to an open window,even in winter, i suspect your husbands therapy works exactly like that, it gives him a sense of getting air and also keeps him from rebreathing some CO2 that he exhales. Unless medically contraindicated, he could benefit more from higher pressures.

For me to get from doctors 8-10 to my 12-17, each night I raised epap by 1 until I couldn't tolerate anymore, then settled in the middle of that, I did this during the day and kept the settings overnight. fast forward 2-3 weeks and I ended up with 12-15 EPR 3.

When I moved to VAuto I fine tuned it the same way. Now its either 10-15 or 12-17, depending whether it's full face mask or pillows. Trigger and cycle for comfort, and TiControl, well that's another story.
Post Reply Post Reply
I won't be surprised at all if he needs to go higher, but This gives us a starting spot. For what its worth he says he feels better this morning, though I've not checked his data yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, so here's his data from last night.  Kinda looks like he's hitting that top pressure several times, should I increase it a step?

Post Reply Post Reply
The numbers are great. Based on that I wouldn't change anything.

How does he feel? This is FAR more important. Anything with the CPAP or Mask bothering him?
Post Reply Post Reply
He's been waking up fuzzy, and even a bit headachy recently, but says he feels much more normal today. He says night before last the mask felt "odd" (couldn't get him to define that) and he swapped it out for a new one he had in a drawer for last night after I responded that he had a higher leak % that night. It is a nasal only mask, and he does have periodic issues with mouth breathing, but also has a full beard/mustache and is reluctant to switch to a full face mask. I've been debating talking him into trying a chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,024 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,144 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  My Husband's August Therapy Deborah K. 2 401 08-26-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: jwest
  Took 6 months but finally got 100 on myAir app. Any way to improve my treatment? 1978 0 457 08-22-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: 1978
  Finally found through DISE why cpap/bipap/ASV was never going to work for me. logart89 9 1,371 08-01-2023, 09:36 AM
Last Post: logart89
  Finally a decent nights rest but swallowing air sfgiants123 2 526 05-13-2023, 10:26 AM
Last Post: sfgiants123
  QAL finally got an AirSense 10, completely new but smells like bubblegum. quiescence at last 0 440 04-23-2023, 06:42 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.