Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My husband only has one concern if end up needing a machine.
My husband only has one concern if end up needing a machine.
Last night was the last night of my 3 night home sleep study. The device will be picked up on monday and the results should get to my doctor within a week. I slept for about 12 hours and it was dead when I woke up, so hopefully that won't be a problem. I had no problems sleeping with it, so I'm sure they have lots of useful data.

Anyway. My husband's only personal experience with someone using a CPAP was when he was in the Navy. One of his buddies on the ship took an evening watch most of the time, and didn't go to bed until several hours after a lot of the day time people. (Just trying to explain it in the simplest way possible) But when he turned on his machine it was so noisy it would wake them up. That was probably around 2008 ish.

I've read here that some types are quieter than other types. And 2008 was a long time ago, as far as medical devices go anyway, I would hope there have been some advances. So I'm hoping someone can tell me something to put my husband at ease. I don't know what sort of stuff my insurance will cover. So I know it's going to largely be luck of the draw what kind of options I have. I just really hope they're not that noisy still. I mean he's not a light sleeper.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My husband only has one concern if end up needing a machine.
Welcome to the forum SephixT,
Most new machines today are very quite. Your husband should not hear the machine at all.

It would be a good idea to contact your insurance and find out what coverage you have and what if any part you would have to pay. Then there are no surprises.

This is a machine you will be using for quite awhile and you do have choices.
Make sure the cpap is a fully data capable Auto CPAP.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
His one concern should be your health. [full stop]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
SephixT, 2001 to around 2006 I used a "Brick" CPAP that I couldn't get access to whatever data it tracked. And it sounded alittle like a vacuum cleaner while running. Now I'm using an ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset. Fully data capable, and so quiet wifey can't hear when it's running. It's the only modern machine I have any experience with. But, I read that other manufacturers have machines that are very quiet also. Tell hubby thanks for his service.

Regards,
otrpu
Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2015, 06:58 PM)justMongo Wrote: His one concern should be your health. [full stop]

I have to say, I find this a little rude and unhelpful. Just because he is concerned about my health doesn't mean that he's not allowed to worry about if he will be able to sleep if I'm using a machine. He is also completely aware that there's a good chance it will interfere with my own sleep as I get used to it. It's not like he's going to forbid me to use a CPAP even if it sounds like a jet engine. We do not "one up" each other's concerns and feelings. Just because I'm the one who might have a medical condition, doesn't mean he's not allowed to worry about how my medical condition might impact him. Just because I might have a medical condition, doesn't mean I don't need to be sympathetic to how my medical condition might impact my husband.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2015, 06:42 PM)OpalRose Wrote: It would be a good idea to contact your insurance and find out what coverage you have and what if any part you would have to pay. Then there are no surprises.

That's a good idea! I did try to find the info on my insurance provider's website. Standard procedure for me when I decide to find out if and what my coverage is for this or that. But I couldn't seem to find the appropriate information, it didn't ever occur to me to actually contact them and ask. I was just going to wait and see. Oh-jeez

And thanks for the info everyone! I'm glad they're not that loud anymore. Both for my husband and mine's sake, but also for the sake of everyone who's had to use them over the past decade. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Machines today are very quiet. Your mask may or may not make noise. In addition, it really helps to have some kind of white noise, be it a fan or something off an app. I have tinnitus that tends to make it hard to get to sleep and someone here suggested white noise. I go to sleep with either ocean waves or crickets. It's great!

Another issue you could have is with the mask. My cat detests the Wisp nasal pillow mask because the flow from the mask goes right where she wants to sleep (about 6-12 inches below my head). She does not have a problem with either the Airfit P10 or the Circadian Sleepweaver masks. Yeah, I know, it sounds ridiculous accommodating a pet, but she wants what she wants and if I can make it easier for her, great. The only other problem I have with her is occasionally stepping on the button and turning the machine off (I have Smart Start on so it starts again). Happens less since I went from a Resmed S9 to an Airsense For Her. However, the Sleepweaver mask is loud (for me) although leaking is very minimal and would certainly annoy a partner, so again, the white noise generator helps here.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I'm on like my 5th machine, and they've all been pretty quiet. No complaints from SWMBO, who sleeps right next to me. However, when I was first searching for a mask that fit, some of the masks were pretty noisy. Once I discovered the Optilife mask, my noise level went down to a whisper.
Post Reply Post Reply
Air jets out of the mask, and blows on your bed partner. That's probably a bigger concern than the noise. Machines are pretty quiet now, and there have been a lot of other advances in recent years, too.

Make sure you don't get screwed by the equipment provider. Have your doctor write a prescription for the machine you want, after you read this:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2015, 05:53 PM)SephixT Wrote: I've read here that some types are quieter than other types. And 2008 was a long time ago, as far as medical devices go anyway, I would hope there have been some advances. So I'm hoping someone can tell me something to put my husband at ease. I don't know what sort of stuff my insurance will cover. So I know it's going to largely be luck of the draw what kind of options I have. I just really hope they're not that noisy still. I mean he's not a light sleeper.
Most machine make some kind of noise, some people are more noise sensitive than others. My machine can be so quiet at times and other times a bit noisy. If get noisy during the might, I move with my PAP (first, separate the water tank) to the spare bedroom leaving the power supply behind, there is a spare one plugged in the next room ... YMMV

I think, insurance coverage for CPAP goes by billing code 0E601 which is the same for a basic machine or top end machine
Don't chance it, insurance cover a new machine every 5 years, be informed about machines choices http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

As for justMongo comment, he means well with good intentions

Good luck

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 154 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Another new user needing guidance Unathletico 1 165 02-26-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: grubsztyl
  New and Needing Help... ranvanman 12 738 02-17-2024, 01:32 PM
Last Post: SnoozeBest
  First Time Oscar User - Needing Help Interpreting Data justinjj 2 322 02-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Needing some advice.. SleepyWeasel 16 1,539 12-08-2023, 12:32 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,128 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Health] seemingly needing way less sleep lately Nintendogeek7065 2 315 10-21-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: Old Steve

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.