Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My husband only has one concern if end up needing a machine.
RE: My husband only has one concern if end up needing a machine.
(11-14-2015, 08:15 PM)SephixT Wrote: I have to say, I find this a little rude and unhelpful. Just because he is concerned about my health doesn't mean that he's not allowed to worry about if he will be able to sleep

I bought an Airsense 10 Autoset. While I think I hear it at night, it may be more mask noise than anything else. Carol seems to find the white noise of the mask and machine comforting. In my case I'm more inclined to be awakened by her and change rooms rather than she by me or my machine.

Best wishes on your road to a good nights sleep and a great day thereafter...
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used CPAP for 10 years. I just recently got a new machine, the Resmed Airsense 10 Auto that others have mentioned. My wife ALWAYS knows when I doze off without my mask; she hears me gasping and choking (I can't hear it, of course), so she nudged me in the ribs. My new CPAP machine is so quiet, and physiologically compatible with me, that she now hears NOTHING from me when I'm hooked up and asleep. I am not kidding here: the first couple of nights with my new machine, it was so quiet and I was so quiet that she thought I was dead. She told me I should have gotten a new machine sooner than I did. With a good, new machine and a good fitted mask, your husband won't hear a thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2015, 08:36 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: Another issue you could have is with the mask. My cat detests the Wisp nasal pillow mask because the flow from the mask goes right where she wants to sleep (about 6-12 inches below my head). She does not have a problem with either the Airfit P10 or the Circadian Sleepweaver masks. Yeah, I know, it sounds ridiculous accommodating a pet, but she wants what she wants and if I can make it easier for her, great. The only other problem I have with her is occasionally stepping on the button and turning the machine off (I have Smart Start on so it starts again). Happens less since I went from a Resmed S9 to an Airsense For Her. However, the Sleepweaver mask is loud (for me) although leaking is very minimal and would certainly annoy a partner, so again, the white noise generator helps here.

Ah! I do have cats (as you may have noticed, lol) and one does often sleep right next to my head. I've been more considering the problem of a hose + cats. If they scratch at it or bite it and create a puncture that will probably not be optimal. If I need one it will be an adjustment for everyone.

We do sleep with a fan on because my husband has tinnitus, so that should help.
Post Reply Post Reply
One good thing, I guess you can call it good, is the standard hose is pretty cheap. Anywhere from 10 to 30 USD. My cats have never played with the CPAP hoses or headgear. Though my chin strap has found its way onto the floor/under the bed a few times.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
SephixT,
I also run a fan in our bedroom at night. It seems I need that white noise to sleep, but as everyone else states, the machines today are very quiet.

It's that some masks can be quite noisy especially if they don't fit well and leak air.

Be sure to check out the link posted above. Look at the different machines available.
DME's will tend to give you what we call a "brick" (a machine that gives no useful data.)

Talk to your doctor and ask him to write a script for a fully data capable Auto CPAP with heated hose.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another way to further reduce noise is to use a bedside table with large drawers. I keep my unit in the drawer with the hose and power cord routed through a hole in the back. I can access the machine and humidifier by opening the drawer, but when I close it, there is virtually no noise. It keeps the room looking a lot less "medical" and it's impossible to pull the CPAP off a table.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
From personal real live usage experience -

Resmed S-8 Autoset II, Resmed S-9 Autoset, Respironics 560, Devillbiss Intellipap Auto - not likely to even be audibly perceptible in any real sense.

Resmed S-8 Elite (first generation, not the "II") - nice (IMHO), quiet soothing white noise.

HDM Z-1 Travel CPAP (without the disposable muffler) - well .....

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I can echo the sentiments of others expressed here on the relative quietness of the A10 especially when the integrated humidifier is inserted properly so that the gasket\seal connections are mated properly. The machine is a foot or so from my head on the night stand and i can barely hear it. Regarding the cats and your tubing you might consider purchasing a hose cover- they are relatively cheap and readily available on the internet in various styles and colors. Just google hose covers. It should provide at least a first layer of protection against a scratching cat and it makes your set up look less medical. Best of luck with your therapy. Lets us know which device you end up with.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
My machine is real quiet (3 year old Phillips Respironics) and it is quiet. The only noise my wife complains about is a little puffing if I don't tighten my straps enough. Also, neither of my two cats will bother it. One has looked at it and then walked away.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 154 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Another new user needing guidance Unathletico 1 165 02-26-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: grubsztyl
  New and Needing Help... ranvanman 12 738 02-17-2024, 01:32 PM
Last Post: SnoozeBest
  First Time Oscar User - Needing Help Interpreting Data justinjj 2 322 02-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Needing some advice.. SleepyWeasel 16 1,539 12-08-2023, 12:32 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,128 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Health] seemingly needing way less sleep lately Nintendogeek7065 2 315 10-21-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: Old Steve

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.