Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

90 compliance report
RE: 90 compliance report
I understand you're having difficulty getting used to therapy. I'm wondering if they would let you try a different mask? Was it determined in your study that you really need a full-face? If they will let you try a less intrusive mask, like a nasal pillow or even a nasal cushion, I bet that would help.

Unless they observed that you chronically mouth-breathe in your sleep study, I don't see why you couldn't try a lower profile mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Echoing Sleeprider's comments and to add that with leak rates as high as the ones reported your resulting data may not be accurate.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
For what its worth, aintsleeping, I recently completed a sleep study, took an auto CPAP for a week and, like you, returned the machine feeling awful. Just as tired (maybe more tired), bloody nose every morning and just feeling like death warmed up.

I asked to try a full face mask and wham! Everything changed, from the first night I noticed I was actually awake, sleeping was restful, the nose bleeds subsided and, most importantly, I felt it was "controlled" - my licence is safe!

Still having problems, tonight I will be trying out mask liners to help the sores across the bridge of my nose, hook up an SPo2 meter tonight and check oxy levels (which I know will be okay).

Maybe I'm lucky, the combination of CPAP, mask and condition seems to have worked very quickly, hang on in there - I'm sure its just a question of finding what suits you. It would be a sad place if we were all the same (and even sadder if everyone was like me!)

Good luck in your quest for the solution that suits you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Aintsleeping,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I’m sorry you are having such a rough time with CPAP; getting used to it does take time though.
Good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a bit of facial reconstruction after an accident that has left my nose very sensitive. They tried fitting me with nose pillow typesand after the 3rd try decided it was a waste of time. Even with the full face mask my nose gets to itching and I pry a finger under the mask to itch it or move the mask liner off my nose. I also think I have a problem with he air pressure forcing mucus from my nasal cavity to my left eye because every morning my left eye feels like it is covered in vasoline. I am currently looking for a new mask tho. The stupid one I have rides on my cheek bones and closes my nostrils. Using a quattro air, lrg. Which btw leaks horribly where the hose plugs into it. Dont know if thats because the pressure is set to 11 or this $60 mask is just a cheap pos.

Anyway, on I trudge or the family dont eat
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Aintsleeping.

The Quattro Air is a pretty good mask, but it doesn't suit everybody - in fact no mask does. Every face is different, which is why there are so many makes, models and sizes of mask out there. There's really no way of knowing which one will suit you without trying them out. All masks have a vent to release the air you exhale - on the Quattro Air the vent surrounds the hose connection. So while it seems to be leaking that's the way it's meant to be. (I thought mine was broken when I first got it, too).

The problem with your eyes is more likely because of the leaks - a lot of masks don't fit well over the bridge of the nose and air squirts up from there into your eyes. It can cause a condition called "dry eye" which is possibly what you're experiencing. A well-fitting mask shouldn't do that, but it is a common problem. I use a strip of flannel fabric as a kind of liner over my nose to prevent the leakage. You can also get a gadget called a Gecko Strip which sticks to your nose and does much the same.

One mask which you might find worth a try is the Fisher & Paykel Simplus. It has a quite bulky seal which fits the nose better than the Quattro Air. It also has a much bigger body so that there's little chance of the inside of the mask rubbing against your nose to make it itch.

I know this is a royal pain in the proverbial, but sometimes we just gotta do what The Man says. Not a lot we can do about that, but the people here at Apnea Board will do our best to help you to make the process as painless as possible.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have high levels of facial reconstruction, and CPAP pressure causes ejection of pressure through the tear ducts, there is a solution, but you may not like it. The Fitlife total face mask seals along the forehead, cheeks and chin and thereby, your whole face is under the same pressure. This avoids any sensation of air coming through the tear ducts and can put the mask in areas much easier to seal. It is obtrusive and large and those are big drawbacks, but for those that need it, the mask provides very good therapy and is one of the easiest to seal.

With facial reconstruction surgery, you would probably qualify for this mask at no cost, as medically necessary. I would sure give it a try before quitting.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, I cant quite.If I do I lose my medical qualification and my job. This is the barrel they have me over. I didnt have a problem before I was forced into this but I cant get anyone to understand this. This therapy, for a condition I never complained about or had, has made my life miserable.

What ever happened to freedom?
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote: I didnt have a problem before I was forced into this

Can you ask for a re-test? Or arrange one privately (they're very expensive)? Mistakes do happen, and it's possible you were mis-diagnosed. Though in all likelihood you probably did meet the clinical definition and would have been suffering some sleep deprivation without realising it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Abnormal report - me or machine Anthony2L 1 170 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 205 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  excessive snore on report jentlesoal 0 175 02-06-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: jentlesoal
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,449 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 478 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 431 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.