Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My latesr study into O2 ratios and CPAP
RE: My latesr study into O2 ratios and CPAP
This video has great advice to help avoid fatigue

https://youtu.be/uAvs_0Nctek
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2020, 02:33 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: OK!  Everybody please take a step back and relax.  Blaming something or someone NEVER corrected anything.  If it did, we would have a perfect operating government.  After all, the intent of Apnea Board is to help one another.   Please consider that if you are receiving replies that don't match your request, you might need to refine the detail of your request to be understood.  On the other side, if someone isn't going to listen to your advice, why bother posting to the thread?

I agree, when someone is off the mark I either explain farther (which is way I did a second report lower down) or pay them no mind.

BUT two of these members are down right mean....insulting and miss the points completely and then blame me for not kissing their rings...

IF you look over my posts of some seven years you will see I am a polite person, and will politely explain and politely disagree...if I feel I need to.

I do not talk down to anyone nor insult them....

Check these two out and I have ran into them before and they are trouble.

They seem to skim read my post, jump to a wrong conclusion and then pass THEIR judgement, make a snap post and dare anyone to disagree and if you do blast them.

I got sick and tired of this behavior so spoke out.

Thanks for stepping in...

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
To answer a question, does <95 cause brain fog?  I am on O2 24/7 and the best I get is 93 resting.  No it does not cause brain fog.  I do have problems when I get less than 80 for a period of time - several minutes but never in the low 90s or upper 80s.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
The first question was about blood oxygen...does anyone know about how or if lower than 95% cause weakness and brain fog?
Low O2 sat  is hypoxia. (% is a normal level for males 70+. The brain responds to elevated levels of CO2  with shortness of breath but is resistant to low levels of O2. You should not experience "weakness" or "brain fog" with these levels. CO poisoning literally provides no oxygen (the CO binds it) and you are lucid until you pass out- the same with pilots who forget to put on their masks. 

The second part was about my idea that the machines can train us to breathe shallowly and thus cause low blood oxygen ratios when off them.
The breathing response is a brainstem function and the brain does not "learn" or is"trained" to breathe shallowly because of a nighttime cpap machine. The depth of your inspiration is a complex mechanism and interaction which- simply put- responds to levels of CO, lactate, and many other factors.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to staceyburke and [b]goodn [/b]for your replies.

I searched a number of times and could not find ANY thing concerning this subject, only that a normal person will/should show from 95 to 98% blood oxygen ratios....

And my doctor also was not able to answer the question as they never considered the question.

I have a friend whom swore when his ratios drop below 95% he crashes.

And he was sure that was/is my problem.

Your answers are clean and read as well informed and are from your own personal living it.

So my final answer then is Chronic Fatigue...I had hoped for a different answer, something that I could do something with as Chronic Fatigue there seemly is no treatment or cure.

Thanks again, I can stop testing for minor ratios changes.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
I could not see the questions posed earlier, as they were buried in the post.

OK let's discuss oxygen and percentages then. I notice fatigue and feelings of becoming faint at 92% or less. If your oxygen level is tested by medical professionals for over 5 minutes at 88%, you will be scripted supplemental oxygen. Various health conditions affect the oxygen level, such as heart conditions, sleep apnea, COPD, asthma, other lung disease, and various other illnesses such as the flu, pneumonia, bronchitis, and other circumstances like altitude can affect it too.

Normally, my ASV follows my breathing and does not shape breath patterns except to jump start breaths in CA situations. However, certain diseases and other illnesses may need timing controls to adjust the machine responses to our breath patterns and other requirements.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2020, 08:31 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I could not see the questions posed earlier, as they were buried in the post.

OK let's discuss oxygen and percentages then. I notice fatigue and feelings of becoming faint at 92% or less. If your oxygen level is tested by medical professionals for over 5 minutes at 88%, you will be scripted supplemental oxygen. Various health conditions affect the oxygen level, such as heart conditions, sleep apnea, COPD, asthma, other lung disease, and various other illnesses such as the flu, pneumonia, bronchitis, and other circumstances like altitude can affect it too.

Normally, my ASV follows my breathing and does not shape breath patterns except to jump start breaths in CA situations. However, certain diseases and other illnesses may need timing controls to adjust the machine responses to our breath patterns and other requirements.

Thanks for a nice replay.

"I notice fatigue and feelings of becoming faint at 92% or less." Interesting seems it depends on the person.

Found the report function for my old Pulse oximeter and see that my avg is 94.7/5/4 and my heart rate sleeping is 48.9 to 50.9 and day time is 64.7.My lowest AVG. is 93.0/93.1/93.3/93.9

BP is around 114/58 to 168/70. In the smallest 2.5 PB med.

So again I think I can put to rest my slumping to low Blood Oxygen and move on.

Again thanks.

Rich

Also the only reason I had a problem with my ASV was it was suggested by my Dr. to SET it at 12, so when I began doing slow long deep breaths I was dropping below that number, once reset to auto it was no longer a problem.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
If there's issues with a frequent oxygen drop, I'd consider getting doc to check it out. Or at least discuss it. Personally with my own health issues, I'd put it in the need to talk it over with doc to exercise caution.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Talk to your doc about blood pressure. 60 on the bottom number is pretty much a red line for too low. low blood pressure can cause some of what you are experiencing. Low B-12 can also be very bad. It's good to have that checked. I'm your age and experience some of the same stuff and know how  important some of these  lab results are. It would be a good idea to have a complete physical and all the blood tests that go with it. my wife and i see the doc every 3 months and have all the blood work done.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2020, 10:38 PM)greatunclebill Wrote: Talk to your doc about blood pressure. 60 on the bottom number is pretty much a red line for too low. low blood pressure can cause some of what you are experiencing. Low B-12 can also be very bad. It's good to have that checked. I'm your age and experience some of the same stuff and know how  important some of these  lab results are. It would be a good idea to have a complete physical and all the blood tests that go with it. my wife and i see the doc every 3 months and have all the blood work done.

Oh I have, I was bumped up to AZ Hypertension Lab and had a deep talk with a  Dr. Lee. He said the low diastolic I see is normal for my age and it is more a matter of harden veins that no longer cause resistance to my blood pressure low side.

Most of the time I run in the Low 120s and 60/70s. Peeking around supper time.

And I was also informed by three Dr.s that again in my age group that Systolic reading up to 150 is allowed, and 130/140 is fine for short times. I used to worry when I would have some peeks n those ranges which would only happen every once in a while and only last for less than an hour.

Overall my Dr.s are very happy with my low ranges.

I take a good amount of very health supplements including B-12.

I started having problems with Chronic Fatigue in my mid 30s in 1980s...it was a seasonal problem bad falls (hay fever time) and bad springs (again hay fever) and good summers and winters.

Seems it is back.  It disappeared, as in the past, this winter as soon as we had our first major cold snap.

I spent three years once I was on medicare and access seeing EVERY DR. anyone could suggest with 1000% NO help, and few set me to the Emergency Room with life threatening reactions to drugs given me.

And even now over the past couple of years same reports NOTHING is wrong, I will live to 125 IF I can stand being tired  most of the time.

I did fix part of my problems when it seemed to become year round: Check out http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-A-deep-report-on-sleep-treatment

I use ResMed Sleep Score Max: Nov 22, 2020 - Nov 28, 2020
[Image: spacer.gif]
This week, you got an average SleepScore of 95—your SleepScore is much better than the typical SleepScore of 78. Excellent!

I have been using it for the past couple of years and get these kinds of scores all the time:

So my sleep cycles and AHIs are well under control.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 247 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 78 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 68 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.