Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My life has become living hell [nose blockage]
RE: My life has become living hell... [nose blockage]
I have same problem.  Found nasocort helps some.  And little "Vicks" menthol inhaler helps temporarily unblock.  But I finally had to go FF mask.  I wake up with very dry mouth because mouth breathe when nose blocked.  Get hypoallergenic filters for machine or change regular ones more often.
Everyone has a bad hair day once in a while.  Same with a night on xPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2018, 10:55 AM)Stom Wrote:
(07-29-2018, 05:48 AM)arc0509 Wrote: Also I have dreamwear nasal mask right now. Is nasal pillows gonna be better really??

Seems to be a personal choice. But it really seems like pillows are better at opening my nasal passages than my dreamwear cushion. I say seems because I'm not sure if it's really true or not. But if you have the dreamwear frame and headgear you can just buy a nasal pillows cushion to try them.

(I use a medium frame for my nasal cushions but I wound up buying large frame for the pillows because the pillows make the cushion a little taller. I don't know if others use different frame sizes though.)

I'd use the pillows all the time if it weren't for the large being a little too small and the soft frame not being quite as stiff as I'd like to keep the pillows in place.

What I read here on AB is that what you perceive may actually be true. Nasal masks and then even more on the nasal pillow type masks, they concentrate more air direct to the nose, so they more forcefully keep nasal passages open.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately I cannot use nasal pillows. My nostrils are too small for the smallest available . I use an extral small AirFit F10 fot her. Very few masks come in extra small size.
Everyone has a bad hair day once in a while.  Same with a night on xPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
I, too, suffered from such bad nasal blockage when I started using my machine in late April that I thought I'd have to abandon the therapy.  I set my humidity at 4 or 5 and the temp at 81.  I was assuming that more humidity meant happier nasal passages... wrong.  I was urged to try lowering both the humidity level and the temp.  Played with both for a few nights and ended with humidity at 1 (yes, 1!) and temp at 80.  The result? No more clogging and no more being awakened gasping for air!  Now that it's winter and the air is very dry, I might try raising the humidity to 2, but only if my nasal passages begin to clog.  Last night, I had a temporary issue with one nostril, so I'll see what happens over the next few nights before making any changes.  I know that reducing humidity seems odd, but it has worked for me.  Best.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you seen an ENT (ear, nose, throat) doctor?  Sounds like allergies or a blockage to me.  ENT docs are usually associated in a group with an allergist.  I'd check reviews, find good docs.  Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel your pain... I have year round allergies and some nights are better than others.. On some nights, my sinuses are wide open with no issues, and other nights I can barely get any air in... I have the Brevida nose pillows and I find that, while still a struggle, the CPAP manages to make it a bit easier to breathe... For the first few minutes, while pressure is low, it's harder, but when the pressure ramps up to 14 or 16, it is a bit easier to breathe.. Eventually I got used to having labored breathing and I have only had to forgo my machine once in a year because I had to mouth breathe to get some sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had this problem for years. As soon as i laid down to rest my nose would block up though mostly on my right side. Over the course of the night it would shift from one side to the other but most of the night it was the right side. I went to an ENT last month and he noticed a deviated septum. I am recovering from surgery now and i can already notice that i no longer block up at night, was one of the best things i have ever done. Also, septoplasty nowadays is fairly painless. Was pretty much a breeze.
Post Reply Post Reply
FYI I've read about the deviated septum surgery and a risk is 'dry nose syndrome' which has some not so nice risks. My daughter has that but after reading about dry nose syndrome we decided against it.  Not saying don't do it....just saying know all the risks and decide for yourself.  Just one woman's opinion.  My best to all with breathing issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suffer some similarities (and I will state right here that I have not read through all the comments to date, I'm rather time poor due to work and other commitments these days, the joys of having become self employed again.. aging sucks when people won't employ you because you are over 60   Dont-know )

But I have found no humidity works better for me than more humidity, Eclipse breath mints help clear the nostrils just before bed, and Polaramine antihistamine tablets help reduce the allergies and issues that cause excess mucus or runny nose and sneezing for me ( check with you GP regarding the Polaramine, it can cause drowsiness, which is not good if you are a driver or operate heavy machinery.. I'm a professional driver and have tested to ensure it doesn't affect me )

I'm a side sleeper, I use a home made firm flat pillow that works well for me, and even if the lower nostril ends up blocked the upper one clears enough for me to breathe.. also the fact that I use a nasal mask ( as opposed to nasal pillows or full face mask ) has seen me learn a technique that I can use to let the air blow in a constant flow to help clear the blockages if they have not become fully clogged.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My life has become living hell [nose blockage]
What is the technique please? Thanks. Lynneat
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 145 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,964 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 394 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,101 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.