Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My life has become living hell [nose blockage]
RE: My life has become living hell [nose blockage]
I'm dying to know too. Been watching this post for a couple days now.
Please respond. =)
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2019, 02:01 PM)lynneat Wrote: What is the technique please? Thanks. Lynneat

As long as you are using a nose mask or nasal pillows, not a full face mask, then it is a simple matter of opening your mouth and letting the machine pump air in a constant flow through your nose for a minute or so. 

With a little practice you will learn to breathe in and out through your mouth while the air is flowing through your nose.
Sometimes it clears easily, but if my nose is heavily clogged because I didn't notice the blockage building up then it doesn't always work. 

Keep in mind that doing this may throw your numbers off regarding mask leaks or other aspects of CPAP treatment ( the experts here will be able to comment on how much the technique upsets the figures based on the individual machine brand/model )
Post Reply Post Reply
I do what lynneat wrote for a few seconds most nights when first turning on the air after settling the mask in place fully. Just flow the air through your nose and out your mouth -- you only need to be minimally open to get this STARTED.

I have never done it for "minutes" but it's worth a try.

If blockage is bad, I use a saltwater lavage.  Nothing special is required.  Proper mixture of salt and very WARM water, baking soda is optional but may improve the experience.

ENOUGH salt is needed to prevent burning, but not too much, there are internet available recipes to measure it out but I just through some in a cup, fill with warm water and mix.

'Drink' through the nose by placing the cup on upper lip almost as if you are drinking normally.

For best lavage, the Neilmed Sinugator can't be beat, but a simple cup works well enough most of the time. 

Flonase helps prevent it.  The best nasal spray for opening is Nostrilla.  Even though Nostrilla seems to have the same active agent as other sprays, it simply works MUCH, MUCH better (I don't know why.)

"Control pause" breathing works well also.  I'll use an or all of the above as necessary on the rare occasions my nose is fully blocked.  This was common when I started, thus the reason I worked all this out, but I seldom if ever need more than simply flowing the air now.

Nice thing about a nasal-only (nasal pillow) mask is that it will splint your nasal passages open almost as well as your throat etc.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
You're really making me want to try a nasal pillow. This reminded me that I have some Dortz anti-snoring inserts. I am going to try using those with my nasal mask. 
Maybe it'll give me a feeling of what it would be like to use a nasal pillow.

As far as not screwing up the data. Do you think the Mask Fit Test is long enough to perform your technique?
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP life for me 7 or 8 years ago was hellish at first. I was stuffed up every single night and I hated CPAP. Tried all the solutions such as NetiPots and nothing worked.
My AHI numbers were sky high.

One day I decided to quit smoking. In hindsight its now shocking to me to understand that I never once considered smoking an issue with my CPAP but it was.
I don't know if that is your problem, or someone else's but it made the world of difference to my CPAP therapy.

The past 5 years since I stopped smoking, my AHIs have generally been 0.00 every night and I am never stuffed up.

I am a mouth breather as well and have always used a full face mask. I have tried the nasal masks and I feel as if I am suffocating with those.
Everyone is different.
Post Reply Post Reply
About the data part. Not trying to mess up your data when you use the breathing technique to clear your nasal passages.

I am wondering if you remove the SD Card before you do your technique and then after a few moments of being done, then insert the card back in.
You think that would work or would the data get written from memory anyhows?
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe a turbinate reduction is in your future?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2019, 02:25 PM)SleepFoo Wrote: You're really making me want to try a nasal pillow. This reminded me that I have some Dortz anti-snoring inserts. I am going to try using those with my nasal mask. 
Maybe it'll give me a feeling of what it would be like to use a nasal pillow.

As far as not screwing up the data. Do you think the Mask Fit Test is long enough to perform your technique?

I liked my nasal pillows (not the first one I tried, which hurt the inside of my nose and I can't remember what kind it was).  But they won't stay on.  I recently tried a Fisher Paykel nasal pillow for my titer test. it was either the Brevida or the Pilairo, but both seem to have a similar design in that they have kind of a protective cover that keeps things in place over your nose better than others.  Kind of a halfway between a nasal mask and nasal pillows. The higher security of a nasal mask with the comfort of a nasal pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My life has become living hell...
(07-26-2018, 05:34 PM)mesenteria Wrote: I go through short periods where one or both nostril tissues swell while I am attempting to sleep, or while sleeping.  When I absolutely must get a good night (i.e., relief), I use an allergy nasal decongestant spray.  Claritin makes one, there are others, including cheaper no-name or Big Store Brand versions.  Perhaps, if you don't have any health issues that would preclude the safe use of such over-the-counter decongestants, you could give one a try every other night until your physician can deal with it constructively.

On seriously bad days, i use a nasal decongestant with the trade name Otrivin. It gives instant relief and a good night sleep. but the issue is that using it in continuation for more than 3 days straight can cause rebound nasal congestion.

So its not really a permanent solution.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My life has become living hell...
(07-26-2018, 08:41 PM)SteveMac Wrote: +1 to Walla Walla recommendation to try pillow mask.  

One of my nasal passages swells shut while the other opens (barely sometimes) and they alternate.  I think this is somewhat normal sinus behavior by the way, if not as extreme as it is for some of us.  The pillow masks actually open my sinuses after a few minutes of use.  It is counter-intuitive, but it does.    Just have to lay in bed with it a few minutes, relax, and focus breathing in and out and they open up (or at least one sinus passage fully opens).

I was always a "mouth breather" while sleeping pre-PAP therapy with horrible snoring mostly from my mouth (like hearing it two rooms away with doors closed).   I was prescribed originally with a FFM (Simplus).  I tried probably 8-9 different FFMs, Nasal, Pillow, hybrid type masks and settled on Resmed P10 pillow.   The Dreamwear with pillows also works almost as good for me.   Note that the cushion version of the Dreamwear (and the FFM Dreamwear as it also is nasal cushion) and all cushions I tried didn't work well for me.  The P10 with Large pillows is my sweet spot.  I don't have what I consider large nostrils, but nonetheless it is what works.   FWIW, the same P10 with small and medium DO NOT work, so if you try pillow masks .. MAKE SURE TO TRY ALL SIZE PILLOWs.

Are you saying that nasal pillows fixed your congestion issues??? 

Mind you that my congestion is anytime i lie down on the bed in any position other than supine position. Its immaterial if i have my mask on or not...any position other than supine=instant nasal blockage... Got checked by doctor twice... No medical issue at all..
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hybrid Masks more comfortable than over the nose FF mask? sleepingbetterinFl 3 76 2 hours ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 243 4 hours ago
Last Post: jake79
  Dripping Nose Lesley19 3 119 04-10-2024, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Lesley19
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,932 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 300 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 7,299 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 453 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.