Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My machine started having an odor!
Hi guys.

I've been using my own S9 for almost a month now. My humidifier arrived about two weeks ago. I haven't received my ClimateLine hose yet.

The last 4 days I've gotten lazy and haven't replaced the water in the humidifier tub. And the last couple of nights a strong annoying plasticky-oily smell started coming out when I switched on the machine.

At first I thought it might have been the humidifier. I removed, emptied and refilled the tank with fresh water and I washed the mask. The smell was still there.

Then I detached the humidifier from the main unit. I switched on the machine without connecting the hose and sniffed the output. The smell was coming from the inside of the machine.

Then I let my mother smell it and she said it's normal and that her machine smells funny as well.

Does anybody know what's causing this smell and why it has become so strong after 200 hours of use?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My machine started having an odor!
(11-25-2013, 11:26 AM)DOOM_NX Wrote: The last 4 days I've gotten lazy and haven't replaced the water in the humidifier tub. And the last couple of nights a strong annoying plasticky-oily smell started coming out when I switched on the machine.
Its common problem when the humidifier run with no water in the tank. Get yourself in a good habit of dumping the water, clean/dry and refiling before bedtime and for extra measure, remove the hose and hang to dry

Now you can wash the hose, mask and water tank and even soak the tank in a solution of water and vinegar
Change the air filter and run the machine without the humidifier in a clean dry place for some time to remove any bad smell sill lingering in the machine. Wipe surfaces in clean damp cloth and don,t forget to remove and wash the lid seal and wipe air filter outlet and put a new filter as well
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, the humidifier certainly didn't run without any water. I emptied half a cup in the morning. It just wasn't full.

Anyway, I washed everything with warm water and soap, except for the main unit and humidifier case. Then I let the machine run outdoors for about an hour after placing a cotton swab soaked in vinegar in front of the filter. It removed the awful odor. I can still smell some vinegar, but it doesn't bother me nearly as much as the other smell did. I just hope the bad odor doesn't return...

I'll let you know when I wake up. Gn Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Be sure there's nothing smelly near the air inlet.

Be careful with the vinegar. Vinegar fumes are corrosive, and there are some delicate sensors inside the CPAP machine.

See if there's any smell in just the mask with no hose. Then hook up the hose, etc.

Disassemble the mask and clean carefully. I dishwash the plastic parts on mine. I hook the hose up to the kitchen faucet and run hot water through it for a while.

This is another reason it's good to have spare water tanks, hoses, and masks. You can swap them out, figure out what smells, clean them, and let the stinky ones air out for a while.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2013, 04:38 PM)DOOM_NX Wrote: I can still smell some vinegar, but it doesn't bother me nearly as much as the other smell did. I just hope the bad odor doesn't return...

I'll let you know when I wake up. Gn Smile
Apology-2 should added ... wash the tank with soap and rinse with fresh fresh water after the vinegar bath
[ratio: 1 part vinegar to 10 parts of water]
Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning (or maybe evening for you)!

archangle: The mask was fine, it didn't smell. The humidifier tank was fine, too. I only detected a slight odor in the hose and a very strong one coming right out of the compressor outlet.

The good news is that the vinegar fumes successfully neutralized all odors. And now I can't even smell the vinegar itself, as well. Finally, I can enjoy my machine again Smile

I just hope I haven't corroded the sh*t out of it...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,593 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 235 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 324 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 356 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33
Question Started CPAP treatment - Would like advice on my sleep study and OSCAR information Mythique 27 2,796 01-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.