Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My machine tried to kill me on Halloween!
Gross 
My machine tried to kill me on Halloween!
Ok, a bit of an over exaggeration.  Four hours into the night, with the unit set on 4-20 and normally running at 9 or so, the unit jumped up to 16. I woke up and it wouldn't stop.  I pressed the mask against my face to see if that would help.  No luck.  I took it off and it kept going at the 16 level until I turned it off.  Ghosts?  Any idea what could have caused this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My machine tried to kill me on Halloween!
I had this problem with apap. runaway pressure, presumably rising against flow limitations. in my case most fl's are my response to periodic limb movement that (I believe) pressure can't resolve. the only solution I know is to turn the machine off & back on.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're usually running around the 9 range, perhaps it would help to nudge up the lower pressure setting....make it less likely to get caught in the loop as it is constantly stepping up and down with the pressure? With an open range, it will try to go back down to 4, then you have a series of events and it jumps the pressure again...back and forth, back and forth...makes it more likely it gets a hiccup and decides to stay at 16 (and doesn't get you the best results as you have to keep having events to hold it at that 9).

Just something to consider. Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd go with what PsychoMike mentions on editing the pressure. I'd bet against the ghosts of CPAP past haunting your machine.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,151 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,790 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,753 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Mark's excellent adventure with a sleep doc or how I am going to kill myself ... Mark Douglas 17 4,029 10-18-2017, 07:34 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Sleep Apnea can kill you (or at least contribute) PsychoMike 3 1,589 06-20-2017, 06:38 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Time kill the fatted calf 0rangebear 18 4,018 02-15-2017, 08:55 PM
Last Post: yenobstev

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.