Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My mask has left a mark in my face
My mask has left a mark in my face
Hi all.

I started my CPAP treatment 2 months ago. I use a Resmed Quattro Mirage full face mask. This mask seems to have left what looks like a permanent mark on both sides of my face where the mask sits (maybe because I tighten it but if I don't, it leaks). Anyway, is the dent/mark in my face permanent or not? I have a line going down each side of my face where the mask sits. What do I do?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My mask has left a mark in my face
Phadrius, you must have it very tight, I used to get the marks but they went after showering, try to loosen it a bit, have you tried mask liners and do you have the hose coming from above your head not by your side, those two things helped me with the Mirage Quattro.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Tez62

As you know, the hose swivels and isn't fixed in one position. I have ordered a gel-type liner that is supposed to prevent that and stop leakage. Will let you know how that works when I receive it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately, I think it has to do with age. Marks on my face when I was kid went away right away but now that I am one year away from Medicare, I've found that it takes most of the day to go away.

As for leaks, it took 4 masks that fit the shape of my face and sometimes when my cushion is more than a month old, it leaks more. Are you familiar with cpap wipes for the morning to clean off facial oils? That will help keep the cushion flexible.
Post Reply Post Reply
Although after trying 7 or 8 FF masks the Mirage Quattro is the only mask I can get close to working for me, I still consider it a medieval torture device. I sometimes get the marks on the side of my face, but the upper bridge of my nose is the spot that really takes a beating. And that stuff about not being supposed to keep it tight didn't work at all for me, unless you like LL numbers in the 80-93% range with correspondingly poor AHIs.

And yes I've tried Remszees, Gecko gelpads, band aids, 3M hospital tape, you name it. My DME RRT actually told me he had a client who had taped a feminine hygiene product to the bridge of his nose in an effort to get relief. I did it as a joke to see what my wife would say and the result isn't printable here.

So yes it's miserable but it's the best I can do for the time being. My DME has a FitLife ordered for me to try (covers your eyes too like a diver's mask) but I have low expectations. That's the only thing I haven't tried.

I will say it does help some to wash your face with soap and water just before retiring, and also completely disassembling the mask every morning and washing the seal with baby shampoo-but it's a PITA!
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the mirage quattro and the pad a cheek liner works well with it.She started that company just because of the strap mark problems.
Mine keeps the mask clean from my very oily skin, wicks away the mask moisture and makes the mask feel soft . It doesn't slide around my face with the liner. They are washable and I usually go 4 days between washings. I hand wash it and air dry it it the morning so its ready to go in the evening. I have a second one for backup . It has a nose protector tab at the top .
My leak rate went down ,and you should still wash your face before bed to help.
You can sew your own out of old t-shirts but hers are real nice and soft. No way would I try to make one.
I don't have the mask real tight but I have the head board support on the hose ,that helps with the hose weight and keeps it over my head so I can turn from side to side. I have a 18 inch hose extension off the mask to a swivel coupling then to a 6 foot hose- another swivel coupling and 12 inch hose to humidifier. That helps stop rainout and gives me lots of freedom of movement.
I clean the mask ,18 inch hose and liner every 4 days . Then every 2 weeks I clean the headgear,tank and the other hoses. Soak in Capful of bleach to a gallon of water after I wash everything in dawn . Then a good rinsing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2013, 05:39 AM)Phadrius Wrote: Hi Tez62

As you know, the hose swivels and isn't fixed in one position. I have ordered a gel-type liner that is supposed to prevent that and stop leakage. Will let you know how that works when I receive it.

I make my own liners which are much cheaper, they are not the gel type just linen, some people make them out of old t-shirts. I can give you the instructions if you want to try them. I use the off cuts to wrap around the straps where they leave marks.
On the hose coming from above my head, the is a product called a hose lift or you can do what I did and made my own or some people have the hose coming over their bed head. They way the hose doesn't get tangled in you arms and gravity pulls the hose up rather than down so there are less leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I ordered a CPAP Seal Gel Liner from ebay. It's expensive for something so simple but I am desperate so when I use it I will keep you posted. Haqs anyone heard of this or used it? Any comments would help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2013, 02:43 AM)Phadrius Wrote: Hi all.

I started my CPAP treatment 2 months ago. I use a Resmed Quattro Mirage full face mask. This mask seems to have left what looks like a permanent mark on both sides of my face where the mask sits (maybe because I tighten it but if I don't, it leaks). Anyway, is the dent/mark in my face permanent or not? I have a line going down each side of my face where the mask sits. What do I do?

Hello Phadrius,

I use the same mask as you do.
I think that I've solved the leak problem and the marks on my face. I now have the mask tensioned rather loose, just snug enough to keep it on my face while sitting on the edge of my bed. If I move my head it will leak due to the hose dragging it out of position. However, when I lay down on my back and run the tubing under my arm there is not any pressure from the hose to move the mask around and I usually get a leak free fitting.

During the night I don't have an felling of wearing the mask. It's like it's not there.

Cheers, VegasPier

Post Reply Post Reply
When I had my sleep study to go from a nasal to a full face mask we tried the mask that covered my entire face - not an option - couldn't even get it to start to seal. I find my face mask works fine with a little bit of leakage.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 596 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Low o2 with full face mask Eabhainn 2 264 02-09-2024, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ItsComplicated
  Full face mask tightness pushing jaw back and leaks wickedsleepy 11 748 02-07-2024, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.