Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My mask is whistling
Angry 
My mask is whistling
I've been on cpap therapy for 16 months. The first 8 months I used a full face mask and then moved on to a Resmed Mirage Micro nasal mask. For almost 8 months, things were fine. Then about 2 or 3 weeks ago, my mask started to whistle. Someone else on this form said they returned theirs because it whistled. At that time I didn't know what they meant. Now I do.

A few weeks ago my mask started making a whistling sound. I needed to either readjust the mask or move the hose a bit and the sound went away. Not last night. No matter what I did the whistle was there. My hubby told me it was an air leak. I switched hoses and the whistling continued. I ended up sleeping with my old FFM and it felt huge and heavy. It also leaked a lot. Sad But it didn't whistle.

So now I'm on the hunt for a new mask. I can't believe this has happened after 7-8 months of use.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My mask is whistling
(04-22-2013, 06:00 PM)iSnooze Wrote: I've been on cpap therapy for 16 months. The first 8 months I used a full face mask and then moved on to a Resmed Mirage Micro nasal mask. For almost 8 months, things were fine. Then about 2 or 3 weeks ago, my mask started to whistle. Someone else on this form said they returned theirs because it whistled. At that time I didn't know what they meant. Now I do.

A few weeks ago my mask started making a whistling sound. I needed to either readjust the mask or move the hose a bit and the sound went away. Not last night. No matter what I did the whistle was there. My hubby told me it was an air leak. I switched hoses and the whistling continued. I ended up sleeping with my old FFM and it felt huge and heavy. It also leaked a lot. Sad But it didn't whistle.

So now I'm on the hunt for a new mask. I can't believe this has happened after 7-8 months of use.

Maybe if you ask it real nice it might hum for you if it doesn't know the words.Laugh-a-lot
Seriously, I don't know what the problem might be. I had that mask for a while, it didn't whistle, but it was too uncomfortable for me. I have Rosacea, therefor a very large nose.
I never have kept a mask that long, only about 3 - 4 months tops.

Anyway, hang in there and I'm sure someone will have an answer for you.

I just couldn't resist my attempt at humour.
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Make sure mask assembled correctly and vents cleaned by toothbrush and not blocked
Sometimes the whistle due to moisture collecting at the vents holes

I use Activa LT nasal mask and doesn't whistle
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/mirage...s&sec=true

Activa LT and SoftGel cushions fit on the same frame
ResMed fitting templates: http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/html/mas...clinicians

Edit: As with any mask, you cannot tell without trying if going to work for you or not

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi iSnooze,
I don't know if this will work but you could try to wash the vent holes with a small brush, such as a toothbrush.
I hope you can get this straightened out, I know it's maddening to say the least.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2013, 06:11 PM)Bompa Wrote: Maybe if you ask it real nice it might hum for you if it doesn't know the words.Laugh-a-lot

I never have kept a mask that long, only about 3 - 4 months tops.

Humming would be an improvement over the whistling. Some people (or cpap masks) just can't whistle a tune. :grin:

I know that we should replace the cushion every few months but is there a reason besides a broken mask that I should replace my mask every 3-4 months?

(04-22-2013, 06:30 PM)zonk Wrote: Make sure mask assembled correctly and vents cleaned by toothbrush and not blocked
Sometimes the whistle due to moisture collecting at the vents holes

(04-22-2013, 06:40 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: I don't know if this will work but you could try to wash the vent holes with a small brush, such as a toothbrush.

Zonk and Trish, Thanks. I'm off to grab a toothbrush and some vinegar to clean the holes. Looking at them with the naked eye doesn't show any clogged holes but they probably are. I hope this is the solution. I don't want to go through the hassle, time and cost of trying to find another mask.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2013, 06:00 PM)iSnooze Wrote: I've been on cpap therapy for 16 months. The first 8 months I used a full face mask and then moved on to a Resmed Mirage Micro nasal mask. For almost 8 months, things were fine. Then about 2 or 3 weeks ago, my mask started to whistle. Someone else on this form said they returned theirs because it whistled. At that time I didn't know what they meant. Now I do.

According to this link on the ResMed website, Medicare allows replacement of a nasal mask once every 3 months if I am reading this table correctly. Click HERE

Best of luck to you on your hunt for a replacement mask. Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2013, 08:22 PM)cbramsey Wrote: According to this link on the ResMed website, Medicare allows replacement of a nasal mask once every 3 months if I am reading this table correctly. Click HERE

My insurance also allows for a new mask every 3 months (minus deductible of course). I was just wondering if the mask doesn't have any broken parts and is still working well with the replacement cushions, is there are a reason why a mask should be replaced every 3 months?
Post Reply Post Reply
I scrubbed the exhale port with a toothbrush dipped in vinegar and then rinsed the mask extremely well to get rid of the vinegar smell. It worked!!!!! Big Grin Thanks for the help with this problem. I will add a toothbrush scrub to my cleaning ritual once in a while so that I won't be serenaded again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2013, 04:38 AM)iSnooze Wrote: I scrubbed the exhale port with a toothbrush dipped in vinegar and then rinsed the mask extremely well to get rid of the vinegar smell. It worked!!!!! Big Grin Thanks for the help with this problem. I will add a toothbrush scrub to my cleaning ritual once in a while so that I won't be serenaded again.

I wash my stuff weekly with baby Shampoo and won't harm any parts.Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2013, 09:28 AM)Bompa Wrote: I wash my stuff weekly with baby Shampoo and won't harm any parts.

I clean my items with an extremely gentle soap. I can't think of the name of it at the moment. I don't know if that was the problem or that the water I use to clean everything in is our treated well water. Regardless, if it happens again, I now have a solution but I'm going to be proactive so it doesn't happen again.

I like the idea of baby shampoo. My bottle of gentle soap is almost gone. I'll add baby shampoo to my shopping list.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed 10 whistling Jim Logan 2 411 11-19-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Jim Logan
  [Equipment] Phillips Dreamwear mask is whistling melody 2 618 09-26-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,631 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,311 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,873 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question Whistling CPAP NannyRobina 14 1,788 06-07-2021, 09:27 AM
Last Post: NannyRobina
  Whistling Airsense 10 - Not the humidifier Sugarvenom 3 1,280 02-25-2021, 08:35 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.