Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My numbers and Aerophagia (iBreeze)
Question 
My numbers and Aerophagia (iBreeze)

Hello,

I've been using my resvent ibreeze CPAP machine now for about 8 months.  My leak rate and AHI were all over 25 for quite some time until I switched to a nassal pillow mask and chin strap.  I've been very happy with my numbers - AHI and Leak rate are always under 5 now and sometimes <1.  

However, I'm confused as to why I'm experiencing aerophagia, especially the last few weeks.  Using the chin strap is what dropped my numbers to such low levels.  Prior to that, with any mask I tried, numbers were over 25 to as high as 45.

I lowered my pressure from 15, to 12 to now 10.  I lowered it to 10 to see if that would help curb the aerophagia.  It may have helped a little but its still there.  I'm just surprised being my mouth is staying closed now due to the chin strap.  I am thinking that if my mouth was opening, my leak rate would be higher. 

Any ideas on where to go from here?

Numbers: 

Leakage - 3.5L/min
AHI - .3/h
OAI - .3/h
AI - .3/h
CAI - 0
HI - 0
SNI - 0.0
iPR - 3
p Ramp - 7
Max pressure - 10
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My numbers and Aerophagia
Your 95% pressure reading is 10.5cm. What do you have the maximum pressure set at?

To help with Aerophagia (the swallowing of air), either bring your max pressure down so that you have a narrower pressure range, something like 8 min - 12 max.

Or you can switch to Cpap mode set at 9 or 10cm. Keep IPR at 3.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2022, 10:42 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Your 95% pressure reading is 10.5cm.  What do you have the maximum pressure set at?

To help with Aerophagia (the swallowing of air), either bring your max pressure down so that you have a narrower pressure range, something like 8 min - 12 max.

Or you can switch to Cpap mode set at 9 or 10cm.  Keep IPR at 3.

Thanks, my max pressure is now set to 10.  It was originally 15 which was way too high for me so I dropped it to 12.  Still had some aerophagia so I am trying 10 now. 

I'll have to look for Cpap mode.  Not sure what that is.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2022, 10:50 AM)FriedRice Wrote: I'll have to look for Cpap mode.  Not sure what that is.

If your iBreeze is an Auto Cpap, then it has an Auto Mode and a Cpap Mode.  
I'm trying to pinpoint which mode you are using.  

Auto Mode is where you set a minimum and maximum pressure, where Cpap mode is one static or constant pressure.  

Do you use software?  Supplier #40 has software available for download for the iBreeze.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tips. I only see E-Comp, Auto Start, Auto Ramp.

I am not currently using any software but will look into it. Just going with numbers off the machine as is.

I'm doing mostly all of this on my own and with help from people like you on this board. My doctor didn't care about the numbers. He only looked at that fact that I was wearing it at least 4 hours a night, which I thought was kind of odd. Maybe next visit?

Ah ok so it is an auto cpap or what they call APAP:

Search Supplier #38 for machine review. (Please refer to suppliers by their # as DME links are not allowed.)
Post Reply Post Reply
I found these directions from Mr. Google.  Smile  

This will help you get access to the "secret menu" and take charge of your therapy.

Also, download the software from #Supplier 40 while it's available.

Below are the steps needed to access the provider menu:
Make sure that your iBreeze CPAP is plugged in.
Press and hold the Ramp button on the top of the CPAP.
While holding that ramp button down also press and hold the round knob on the front of the iBreeze for about 5 seconds.
You will see the Prescription and Mode settings appear on the left side of the screen. You are now in the Provider Menu.
To Exit the Provider Menu simply repeat the steps to get in, by holding the Ramp Button and front round knob for about 5 seconds.

Below is a list of the Settings that you will find in the Provider Menu:

Mode Selection– This is found with one click to the left at the top of the screen. It will read APAP or CPAP. You can click and change that setting from Fixed Pressure “CPAP” to Auto CPAP “APAP”.
Therapy Settings– Below the Mode Selection will be your APAP or CPAP settings. Highlight and select the setting to change it to the desired setting.
R-Care Setting– This setting can be enabled or disabled. It will adjust the aggression of the iBreeze Auto CPAP algorithm.
E-Comp Setting– This setting is only seen when in the CPAP mode. It can also be enabled or disabled to help with CPAP comfort.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My numbers and Aerophagia (iBreeze)
Thank you. That I have accessed this mode before; (Doctor's Mode) it's called on this machine and I keep it in that mode. I didn't realize i could change it from CPAP to APAP.

I just changed it to APAP and the p Max i set to 10 and P Min 4. R Care is off.

OpalRose thank you so much for all your help. I appreciate it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a thought.... pressure of 4 minimum is fairly low and could cause you to feel
"air starved." I would at least use a minimum of 6cm. Keep your max at 10.

See how it goes for a day or two. We can always adjust.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, that is a good idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2022, 12:34 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Just a thought....  pressure of 4 minimum is fairly low and could cause you to feel
"air starved."  I would at least use a minimum  of  6cm.  Keep your max at 10.  

See how it goes for a day or two.  We can always adjust.

Hi Opal, here are my numbers from last night using APAP.  I had much less aerophagia, which I'm very happy about, but want to continue to test further in this mode.

Leakage - 5.0L/min
AHI - 3.4/hr
OAI - 2.2/hr
AI 2.2/hr
RERA - .7/hr
CAI - 0.0/hr
HI - 1.2.hr
SNI - 0.1/hr

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 115 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  [CPAP] New User w/ ResVent iBreeze 20A rstark13 5 129 03-26-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 593 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,644 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 352 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 11 523 02-19-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] UARS with Aerophagia and a High Leak Rate, what next? Adam0410 9 407 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.