Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My old sleep study data WOW!
My old sleep study data WOW!
Well it has been 6 years since I have looked at my sleep study. I had actually lost it and had to request it from my doctor. I looking back through it and WOW. I had forgotten it was that bad. I remeber the technician telling me that I was not too far away from just not waking up one morning.Sad

Here is the summary. I posted the whole thing under the success stories thread.

1. Sleep Architecture: Total recording time was 163.6 minules. with a total sleep time of 139.5
minutes and a sleep efficiency of 88.0%. The patient's sleep latency was 3.5. Latency to REM was
112.5 minutes. There was 8.2% of Stage 1 sleep, 72.0% Stage 2 sleep, 0.0% Stage 3 sleep, 0.0% Stage
4 sleep and 19.7% Rem sleep. Total number of arousals was 225. Arousal index was 3.9.
2. Respiratory Data: During the study the palient had 236 episodes of apnealhypopnea with 2 percent
oxygen desaturation or greater making respiratory index 101.5 events per sleep hour. Mean length of the
apnea/hypopnea was 23.3 seconds and the longest was 26.8 seconds. Respiratory disturb<lnce index
during sleeping in the supine position was 103.0 events per sleep hour and the patient slept 92.0 minutes
in the supine position. Respiratory disturbance index while sleeping on both sides was 98.5 events per
sleep hour and the patient slept for 47.5 minutes on both sides.
Total respiratory disturbance index was 101.9 episodes per sleep hour. The events Included 28 episodes
of hypopnea, 9 episodes of mixed apnea, 0 episodes of central apnea, 199 episodes of obstructive apnea
and 1 episodes of hypopnea with arousal but not necessarily oxygen desaturation. During non Rem
sleep 105.5 events per sleep hour, and during REM sleep 87.3 events per sleep hour. Respiratory
arousal index was 101.9.
3. Oxygen Data: The patient spent 26.9 percent of sleep time with oxygen saturation above 90
percent, the patient spent 69.4 percent of sleep time with oxygen saturation less than 89 percent and the
lowest oxygen saturation was 63%.
4, EKG Data: Frequent unifocal PVG"s were noted during the sleep study.
5. Other Data: No periodic leg movements were noted.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My old sleep study data WOW!
Bige94, thanks for posting. How are things looking now? I probably have an opposite story having barely qualified for CPAP with an AHI of five with lots of arousals from chronic pain. My psychiatrist put me on Provigil while waiting for the diagnosis my daytime sleepiness was so bad I was miserable. I couldn't drive, go to appointments, the corner mall. The sleep doctor gave me a choice of CPAP or... and I didn't even wait for the options I was so sleepy. In the past four years my apnea has gotten worse going to a six month average AHI of 28 prompting a change to an ASV machine two months ago where now I average 11 AHI for 60 days (very few centrals or apneas, mostly hypopneas. I go in next week hopefully for some tweaking. I have never reached that magic number of an AHI of five, though during numerous pulse ox tests I have never desaturated and mostly have hypopneas.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My old sleep study data WOW!
(05-12-2012, 09:32 AM)zimlich Wrote: Bige94, thanks for posting. How are things looking now? I probably have an opposite story having barely qualified for CPAP with an AHI of five with lots of arousals from chronic pain. My psychiatrist put me on Provigil while waiting for the diagnosis my daytime sleepiness was so bad I was miserable. I couldn't drive, go to appointments, the corner mall. The sleep doctor gave me a choice of CPAP or... and I didn't even wait for the options I was so sleepy. In the past four years my apnea has gotten worse going to a six month average AHI of 28 prompting a change to an ASV machine two months ago where now I average 11 AHI for 60 days (very few centrals or apneas, mostly hypopneas. I go in next week hopefully for some tweaking. I have never reached that magic number of an AHI of five, though during numerous pulse ox tests I have never desaturated and mostly have hypopneas.

Sorry to hear that you have had so many issues and that its gotten worse. Thats crazy. I hope they get you dialed in where you should be.

I am lucky. CPAP was the magic bullet for me. My life changed overnight. It has been 6 years and all has been well. It just works for me. I never really thought about the science or bothered to learn about the therapy itself. I am just now starting to educate myself about cpap. Very cool to find that there is a whole community devoted to CPAP.

I also had daytime sleepiness. I couldnt sit in a meeting or in a quiet space for more than a few mins without dozing. I was the jerk in the back of the plane snoring horribly. I drove my car off the road twice and used to fall asleep holding my baby son. I thought everyone felt that way.

Some people say they are exhausted. Those of us with OSA know exhaustion well. For me it feels like a hole in my chest. The mountain dew and candy bars were endless. Just my body's way of trying to keep itself awake.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 156 Yesterday, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,365 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
  [CPAP] Help with OSCAR data to help improve sleep Akaharu 6 213 04-06-2024, 11:35 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 358 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Do I not need a CPAP anymore? In-Lab Study Results brehski 6 209 04-03-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 68 6,260 04-02-2024, 04:13 PM
Last Post: ArcherNeedsSleep
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 381 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.