Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My own overnight testing for OSA
My own overnight testing for OSA
Hi all,

I have been diagnosed properly with some very mild OSA a couple of years ago (home sleep study, followed by clinic sleep study).

I have used CPAP intermittently since then, always getting a very low AHI when used (less than 2). I have also lost quite a lot of weight changing my diet and exercise.

Using a wrist SpO2 monitor with finger sensor (Contec CMS50F), I measured last night the actual SpO2 trend over 4 hours (not using CPAP).

Average SpO2 was about 94% and it never really dropped below 92% (apart from one event).

My understanding is that OSA is determined by SpO2 dropping below 88%.

The report created by the device software shows 28 events during the 4 hours period, but I can't really see any massive drops of SpO2 during that time below 92%. Please see screenshot of report attached, as well as the full report (PDF).

How should I interpret those results??? When I use CPAP, I tend to wake up after 3 or 4 hours, so I think CPAP is disturbing my sleep possibly more than helping.

Thanks!

.pdf   Full Report - 02 Mar 2021.pdf (Size: 334.73 KB / Downloads: 7)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My own overnight testing for OSA
88% on the oxygen is not directly going to give an answer whether or not there's Apnea. It can indicate a possibility either way however. The 88% oxygen level is more useful if you have frequent oxygen level drops from a breathing issue and when determining the need for supplemental oxygen.

If you're trying to determine the need to continue CPAP or not, contact the doctor. You'll need to do an overnight sleep study. Using what data you have isn't a clear definite indicator of no Apnea. Further, the use of OSCAR data when using a CPAP isn't going to definitely rule out necessity or not either.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My own overnight testing for OSA
Thanks. Unfortunately, my private insurance will not pay for another sleep study. As far as they are concerned, mild OSA was diagnosed and CPAP machine was suggested. End of story.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Alternatives to Vitacom and Contec for Overnight Oximeter Giantmushroom 2 514 10-22-2023, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Giantmushroom
Sad [CPAP] Airsense 10 Shuts off by itself for MANY hours overnight, I am suffering please help pavinscpaps 5 940 11-20-2022, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  Renting / Testing Out CPAP Machine? sowo123 4 645 10-15-2022, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
Question The form associated with sleep apena testing dlnewhouse 1 448 08-31-2022, 01:04 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  [Diagnosis] Sleep Testing - Skewed Results? Doogmeister 9 1,261 06-14-2022, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Doogmeister
  [Equipment] CPAP circuit board testing with voltmeter? MAchine died and 4 month wait to be seen! agunslinger 2 685 04-16-2022, 12:13 PM
Last Post: agunslinger
  oxygen levels drop overnight oldstyle 3 812 03-27-2022, 07:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.