Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My results so far
My results so far
So I have been on CPAP since early January including my trial. My sleep study showed and AHI of 22 or thereabouts which I think was actually one of my good nights! I was recommended a pressure of 13.3 and I chose to get a Resmed Airsense Autoset 10 and Resmed Airfit P10.

I started off with a minimum pressure of 6, and maximum of 13. My AHI was down to an average of 9-10 but didn't improve after 4 weeks at those settings.

I have since adjusted my settings after every 2 weeks or so and I am now getting mostly AHI of 4.5-5.5 with the odd 9-10 thrown in! My pressure settings are minimum of 9, maximum of 15. No ramp and an EPR of 1.

I found changing to constant pressure made no improvement it only made me dry mouthed in the morning so I changed it back to Auto.

I have since day one had high leak levels of between 25-45 and my average over 5 months is 35l/min. I can not improve this with my current nasal pillows. Do you think the leak level would affect my AHI's?

On my trial I tested a nasal mask and it gave me bad sores so I cannot use a mask that touches my face.

I have found the Airfit P10 to be great. I get a full night sleep every night, I never wake up gasping for air or any other issues. I have even slept for over 12 hours after a big night on the turps Cool

Oh and my sleep doctor is less knowledgeable than me so there is no guidance to be had from her Rolleyes

Any hints, thoughts, or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Shaun
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My results so far
What is the approximate distribution of OA, CA, H? Are they random, or clustered?

If you want to post data, this tutorial explains how. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2015, 07:51 AM)Veilsd Wrote: So I have been on CPAP since early January including my trial. My sleep study showed and AHI of 22 or thereabouts which I think was actually one of my good nights! I was recommended a pressure of 13.3 and I chose to get a Resmed Airsense Autoset 10 and Resmed Airfit P10.

I started off with a minimum pressure of 6, and maximum of 13. My AHI was down to an average of 9-10 but didn't improve after 4 weeks at those settings.

I have since adjusted my settings after every 2 weeks or so and I am now getting mostly AHI of 4.5-5.5 with the odd 9-10 thrown in! My pressure settings are minimum of 9, maximum of 15. No ramp and an EPR of 1.

I found changing to constant pressure made no improvement it only made me dry mouthed in the morning so I changed it back to Auto.

I have since day one had high leak levels of between 25-45 and my average over 5 months is 35l/min. I can not improve this with my current nasal pillows. Do you think the leak level would affect my AHI's?

On my trial I tested a nasal mask and it gave me bad sores so I cannot use a mask that touches my face.

I have found the Airfit P10 to be great. I get a full night sleep every night, I never wake up gasping for air or any other issues. I have even slept for over 12 hours after a big night on the turps Cool

Oh and my sleep doctor is less knowledgeable than me so there is no guidance to be had from her Rolleyes

Any hints, thoughts, or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Shaun

I have seen many anecdotally report that unless their AHI for a given night is <1.0, they don't feel particularly great. I'd say there's some truth to that in my case. One wants consistent 5.0 or less, in any event.

Post Reply Post Reply
I usually have events in clusters yes but its not always the case. Some nights I have a consistent amount of events throughout the night and not just in one or two clusters.
I find for the first few hours of use there are no events but then hells gates open.

The distribution between OA,CA, and H for the last 30 days are as follows;

Obstructive- 5.7
Central- 1.4
Unknown- 0.4
Hypopnea- 0.3

I might try to upload some data
Post Reply Post Reply
Two nights data, last night and one of my better nights of 4.8 AHI (2nd June). Let me know if you wanted to see some of the data that I haven't shown in the screen grabs.

The 1hr+ break in last night was me getting up to watch F1 Qualifying..

[Image: fIPq6dcl.png?1]

[Image: dMsQ2pEl.png?1]
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Shaun. Yeah, big leak trouble there. As you are using a pillows mask, the leaks may be coming from the mask itself or from your mouth. The mask might not be sealing properly against your nostrils or might be getting dislodged when you move around. Alternatively it might be leaking from your mouth, in which case you need to train yourself to seal off your mouth using your tongue and/or use a chin strap to help keep the mouth closed. Your bed partner might be able to advise on the nature of the leaks.

Any AHI measurement during periods of large leaks is suspect. The main priority is to get the leaks under control. If you can't do this with the P10, you might need to try a full face mask and use a liner to prevent direct contact between the mask and your skin.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah bugger, I did suspect the high leaks could be an issue. I have always had them but at first I knew it was bad fitment because I would wake up, now I don't wake up. My Wife left me so I have no bed partner so I'm on my own there lol. I will try a chin strap but a larger mask is pretty much out of the question as I sleep with my face in the pillow, and there is huge pressure even on a nasal mask against my face, causing bruising and sores.
Post Reply Post Reply
Veilsd,
Look at the high leaks above the red line and compare to the events chart, and you can see most of those events occur during that time of high leaks. This is the number one thing you must work on to fix.

Now if you like the P10 mask, be sure you are using the correct pillow size. Try one size larger or one size smaller. Experiment. Use a nasal gel or a lanolin cream. It helps seal the pillows.
You can also use a Hose Buddy and route the hose up over your head so you don't bump it in the middle of the night. Other than that, try a chin strap.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The structure and timing of my leaks/AHI graph was similar to yours (different numbers) and an effective chin strap totally solved the problem.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2015, 06:23 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Veilsd,
Look at the high leaks above the red line and compare to the events chart, and you can see most of those events occur during that time of high leaks. This is the number one thing you must work on to fix.

Now if you like the P10 mask, be sure you are using the correct pillow size. Try one size larger or one size smaller. Experiment. Use a nasal gel or a lanolin cream. It helps seal the pillows.
You can also use a Hose Buddy and route the hose up over your head so you don't bump it in the middle of the night. Other than that, try a chin strap.

The small pillow doesn't allow enough air through and I struggle to breathe, and the large leaks very easily as it is just too big. I use the medium and it seems very good. I have my hose wrapped around my metal bed head and it can slide back and forth as I move. I will definitely try a chin strap.

(06-07-2015, 07:15 AM)MobileBasset Wrote: The structure and timing of my leaks/AHI graph was similar to yours (different numbers) and an effective chin strap totally solved the problem.

Thanks, I will try a chin strap first and if it doesn't help I will try a nasal mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar CPAP Optimization Results-Awesome!? SeePak 17 320 2 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Help with interpreting OSCAR results 6bez8dF5lf 7 179 Yesterday, 10:13 AM
Last Post: 6bez8dF5lf
  Test results Kmzizzle 18 1,520 04-12-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Treatment] New to CPAP but keen to learn - Please could you help with results and Q's? JustinWoods 19 1,948 04-10-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Help interpreting my results (and hello!) mluck94 4 144 04-08-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: mluck94
  Having fluctuating results 3rd week in. Data attached Jscott321 5 204 04-03-2024, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Jscott321
  Do I not need a CPAP anymore? In-Lab Study Results brehski 6 203 04-03-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.