Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

After 10 months, still over 5 AHI.
After 10 months, still over 5 AHI.
I've been using my CPAP for over 10 months now and I just can't seem to get my AHI under 5-6.  My sleep study showed an AHI over 30.  After all that time, nothing much has changed in my energy levels or tiredness.

I know that one of my problems is obstructive, so I've tried a couple different products to try and keep my airway open, such a cervical collar and "The Eliminator" pillow.  Didn't seem to matter. Anyway, I'd love some suggestions.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: After 10 months, still over 5 AHI.
This will not help wot the central. Many times they reduce over time as your body become more accustomed to pap therapy. There are others here that may be able to help with centrals.

You do have some positional apnea. You can see it when there are grouped O or H events. It is a blockage of your airway that you are causing by the position you sleep.

We call it chin tucking where your chin drops to your sternum cutting off your airway. There are no settings on the pap machine that can help.

Sometimes it is as simple as sleeping on your back or a pillow that is to high. Those are easy to fix but if not you need a collar. Please read the link I have on collars in my signature
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Stacey. It appears you are chin tucking. You mentioned a cervical collar. Is it a soft cervical collar and were you wearing it on the night of the 23rd? If yes to both it may be you are wearing it too loose soe your chin can tuck behind it. I wear one and occasionally get it too loose. You don't want it ti tight either. You should ne able to get at leas one finger easily between it and your neck.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
You also have in this OSCAR chart an AHI 2.2x CA that needs to be considered. Maybe once the Positional Apnea is addressed, pressures won't fluctuate as much, which can influence the CA. If this doesn't help the CA, things like lowering EPR may be needed. The problem is with this CA and OA needing addressed is you'll probably have a teeter-totter dilemma where addressing CA increases the Obstructive and vice versa.

So first step address Positional. Then let's see what you have.

PS is it normal for you to log over 10 hours per night?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New car smell months later dkmk 4 279 04-15-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 14 868 03-30-2024, 08:09 AM
Last Post: redking2436
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 407 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,762 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Going nowhere with ASV after 3 months CaliforniaDreamer 20 580 03-08-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 356 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Has anyone ever received a refund on cpap after 3 months. Mwilson123 0 220 02-10-2024, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Mwilson123

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.