Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My short story, starting out with a CPAP machine.
My short story, starting out with a CPAP machine.
Hi there
Had been mentioned about me waking up gasping for air for years then in the past 6 months has been waking up with headaches and feeling constantly tired, there was something more to it which is when I found out I was type 2 diabetic that seems all under control and they questioned sleep apnea, finally after months had the at home study done and heading to the sleep clinic this Friday to get the results from that.

I guess I jumped the gun a bit and purchased an Auto CPAP and think I'm sleeping better although still do tend to snore I gather I open my mouth which allows for some leakage but I'm sure that will all come out.

Been using my CPAP for 6 months I and imported it into OSCAR however no idea where to even start, I'm sure after Friday it might make more sense.

Not sure what I have myself in for, what needs altering etc but attached is a couple of images which I hope I got correctly out of OSCAR.

In the mean time I'm off to do more reading so I can understand everything a little more, certainly a well of knowledge out there.

Cheers
Darren

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My short story, starting out with a CPAP machine.
I think you are doing surprisingly well considering you are using the machine at default 4.0-20 pressure. Some people can get away with that with the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset which is more proactive with pressure increases to prevent events, but the Philips is notorious for being reactive and leaving a lot of events at this pressure. If you will take the minimum pressure to 8.0 and set Flex to 2, I think you might have nearly perfect results. Your current median pressure is over 9.0 and the 95% is nearly 11.0, so this higher minimum should not be uncomfortable, and will stabilize the pressure reducing any sleep disruption. Try to get away from Ramp as soon as you comfortably can. Your starting pressure of 5.0 actually helped with the default settings, but is too low for your needs, and you can see some flow limits and RERA events just as your therapy begins with Ramp. A higher starting pressure and Auto might make ramp better, but my preference is off.

Welcome to Apnea Board and good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks, will give minimum pressure of 8 and changing Flex to 2 a go tonight and see how it goes.

I certainly think sleeping with it has improved the quality of sleep that's for sure and haven't woken up with a headache in some 6 months which really says something.
Post Reply Post Reply
Been happily working away with the Dreamstation Go but with the recall dragging on have requested a refund and just ordered the ResMed AirSense 10 Auto.

As far as settings go considering I never received a script what settings would I be best going with to get started with the ResMed unit?
Post Reply Post Reply
Lacking current settings or charts, Match the settings for your DS Go then post the results for your AutoSet from OSCAR.
That would be a good start. Adjustments can start from there.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am glad that you just bought a CPAP and already feeling the benefit! Lots of us here struggle with mask fit, pressure, leaks.. and won’t feel a difference after 3 to 4 months.

Happy to hear your successful story!
Post Reply Post Reply
Just uploaded last nights CPAP data after setting up OSCAR again.

I think going alright but open to any suggestions, I do get the odd night where the mask fit isn't great but soon get a belting from the other side of the bed which apparently sorts that out by getting me to roll over.

Many thanks in advance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Well I got the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet and got through the first night with seemed to go fairly well I think, didn't want to get out of bed which has been normal of late for some reason.

Attached is last nights data.

Post Reply Post Reply
I would make EPR Full Time instead of just during Ramp. Then you benefit from EPR at all times. And I would cancel the Ramp itself. It tends to bother most when it cancels and transitions to regular therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with dave. You have flow limits that drive up pressure. Use EPR full time.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 95 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 626,269 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 313 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 634 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 204 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,750 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 476 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.