Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My silly question for today.
My silly question for today.
This is going to have nothing to do with sleep or apnea. 
I have a pretty good assortment of masks...over the nose FFM, hybrid FFM, over the nose nasal, under the nose cushion, pillows...
I tend to get nasal congestion fairly frequently. Has anyone taken some Vicks and put it by the air intake of their machine and put on a nasal pillows mask..not to sleep but to maybe help relieve their congestion? 
I've seen comments where people have said the pressure overcomes the congestion while they're trying to sleep so it just made me wonder if you could use it to help out even when you're not trying to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My silly question for today.
This was popular a few years ago here. I had forgotten about the aroma therapy some members were using. If you take a cotton ball or pad laced with the aromatic oil, or in your case the Vicks salve, then place it near the CPAP's intake.

Some DMEs used to sell a little block of wood with a groove in it that would hold an air filter, gauze pad, or cotton pad. I found it far cheaper to use a binder clip, when I tried it.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
David this is right up there with connecting the CPAP to a bong (please don't try this at home). Have you ever looked at Flonase (fluticasone propionate) as a possible solution?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2022, 06:22 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: David this is right up there with connecting the CPAP to a bong (please don't try this at home).   Have you ever looked at Flonase (fluticasone propionate) as a possible solution?

Nah, the bong sounds WAY more fun than Flonase! Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, I have tried a few OTC sprays, pills etc but I don't believe I've tried Flonase yet...and....a bong you say... Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
True confession...I use flonase. I takes a few days to have full effect, but you won't develop a dependency, rebound or a bad case of falling on the floor and saying "Wow man!"
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Flonase works quite well for both the wife and I. Have used it for quite a few years. We both use the F20 FFM and we are both moth breathers.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Chiming in with another vote for Flonase. I use the Sensimist version. Also an F20 mouth breather.
Post Reply Post Reply
I actually tried taking a cotton ball with Vicks and then put it in the water chamber of my AS11. I don't use humidity so that compartment is always empty. I have heat and humidity off. It smelled really good for one or two nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes I have sinus issues. Not often thankfully. But when I do, I can get relief by using the NeilMed sinus rinse system - with the squirt bottle, not the Neti Pot. The other thing that works nearly instantly for me is to take a timed release Sudafed. Beware, Sudafed may keep you awake. For me, it has no such affect and I sleep like a baby. Fortunately, I only seem to need to take a Sudafed a few days out of the year.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 16 819 02-08-2024, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Am I silly? I use my ResMed AirMini all the time now lyndon5 10 1,421 09-16-2023, 06:48 PM
Last Post: barney999
  Silly question perhaps, but I'm wondering Windswell 2 579 09-16-2022, 03:08 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  Getting New Aircurve 10 Bilevel today slam7241 13 1,175 09-11-2022, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Diagnosis] Home test came back negative. Would I be silly to buy a CPAP anyway? kenzonagasaki 7 916 01-19-2022, 03:33 AM
Last Post: desaturator
  Got a Luna cpap today and don’t know why ? Makai1959 10 4,109 12-03-2021, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Just got a new machine today, Airsense 11 ! jellojeep 2 953 10-09-2021, 09:00 PM
Last Post: jellojeep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.