Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My sleep thread "Jstuts5797"
Exclaimation 
My sleep thread "Jstuts5797"
Hello everyone! I posted in another thread here on Friday asking about which machine to choose, but after reading the wiki (which is awesome btw) I decided to go ahead and make a thread here to discuss my journey through all of this so it is all in one place as I progress and have questions. Since its the weekend I haven't heard from my DME yet so no machine yet. I'm having trouble sleeping so I figured now was a good time to introduce myself and give some specifics on my study. I apologize if this is long winded... but I have a lot of factors that need to be considered.

I'm 36 years old, male and I live in Indiana. Going on 4 years ago I suffered a cerebellar stroke. Of course its caused me several issues and lots I'm still working on.. but at least I can walk, talk, and I'm alive. On day one after my stroke I could not walk.  I'm currently going through the disability process (I was told to wait for a couple years after the stroke to see how far my recovery would go before applying because sometimes stoke patients can recover enough to return to work). I have several health issues almost all starting/stemming from the stroke. I have depression, anxiety, GERD, high blood pressure, restless leg syndrome, chronic vertigo and dizziness, sinus issues, I'm now over weight (I was almost UNDER weight before stroke), and I haven't sleep right or well since the stroke.  After focusing the past two years on more pressing health issues (stroke prevention, rehabilitation, ect) It was finally time for my doctor and I to tackle the sleep issue. Last month I did my sleep study. It was a horrible night. My anxiety got the best of me and I had all sorts of trouble sleeping.  When they told me the study was over and they received enough data I was actually surprised. I didn't think I really slept much at all and certainly not enough for them to get any meaningful data from me, but I guess I was wrong.  I'll post the summary of my study below for you guys to take a peak at. 

Compared to most of you it seems my AHI is actually pretty low... combined with my weird results it makes me wonder if my sleep doc isn't missing a larger or just a completly different issue here. I was recommended for CPAP and I choose my health provider as my DME (before I had done much research) My sleep doc told me I'd get a ResMed matchine (but did not mention what model or what kind) and that the DME would contact me within 7-10 days to get an appointment for a fitting. I'm kinda baffled at why it would take so long, but I"m guessing that has a lot to do with insurance? Does anyone know? Does it usually take that long between getting your results and getting a fitting?

Anyway after doing some research on here and on the internet in general of different machines and which does what I settled on wanting the ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet. I sent my sleep doc a message telling me thats what I wanted but it was Friday evening so I won't get a response until Monday. I just want to make sure I get something that will help me and I'll actually be compliant with. 

Like I said this is just a basic intro post I'm making to introduce myself and kind of get into the community a bit before I actually get my machine and get started. For once I'm actually EXCITED to get this medical equipment and go through this in hopes that I can finally get some good sleep again. I'm all for any comments, suggestions, questions, ect any of you may have on what I've posted and my sleep study summary as posted below. I'm all about learning as much as I can and taking a hands on role in my health care and recovery. Thanks again for all the help you guys have given my thus far, and thanks in advance for anything you guys can tell me in the future!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My sleep thread "Jstuts5797"
http://imgur.com/RnMNuFZ
Post Reply Post Reply
If the stroke caused you do do your homework on cpap you are way ahead of lots of people. Good for you on meeting the bumps in your road and trying to stay out of the ditch.

We will look for your post and wish you well. Keep reading Okay 

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jstuts5797,
Yes, your AHI is mild at 5.5, but with the RERA's of 5.0, that gives you an RDI reading of
10.5 events per hour, plus you didn't sleep that well (which is not unusual) in a sleep study setting, so the reading may be higher.

Please confirm which machine you are getting "before" you pick it up.  Be sure you request a fully data capable Auto machine, (APAP)

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...re-success
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The stroke did cause me to do my homework.. when you have a stroke you almost have to do some homework... or well at least I did. I knew so little about stroke and things before hand. You all here are wizards of sleep though, lol. I hope someday I can become as knowledgeable!

OpalRose - Thanks so much for the tips! I do have some concerns that my insurance may keep me from getting the machine I want, specifically the humidifier. My insurance does state that humidifiers have to be specifically prescribed by the doctor in order for it to be covered.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great news everyone! Just talked with the sleep doc, they are going to write the prescription specifically for the ResMed airsense 10 autoset so that I'm sure to get that machine! I'm still going to be cautious and make sure that that is the machine I will be receiving once the DME calls me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did he also order the heated hose ? It get cold and dry where you are at.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes he did!
Post Reply Post Reply
Question as I wait for my appointment for fitting and picking up my machine: would it benefit me at all if I went ahead and installed sleepyhead and the ResMed software and just kind of learn how to use it and stuff before I have my machine? Or is that even possible without having data to load into it?
Post Reply Post Reply
I would read old topics, you can follow then from start to finish and see the charts and outcomes. I found it the best way to learn
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 36 1,011 9 hours ago
Last Post: MaggieL
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 490 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 808 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,963 358,975 04-12-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: btreger
  [Treatment] Valtor Therapy Thread - from Autoset to Vauto Valtor 50 1,343 04-12-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 34 2,746 04-08-2024, 03:26 PM
Last Post: IanD
  mallar's therapy thread mallar 11 261 04-06-2024, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.