Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Long time reader..first time poster
Long time reader..first time poster
Hello everyone,

I've been reading posts on this forum for years. The information provided has always helped a great deal in dealing with my sleep apnea. Thank you!

Today I have a question.

I use a Mandibular Advancement Device instead of CPAP. It has worked quite well for a number of years, but lately I'm starting to wake up not feeling well rested again, and kind of tired throughout the day.

I recently bought a pulse oximeter and have been wearing it at night to see what my pulse and 02 levels are doing in my sleep. If I am reading these correctly, I think I still have an issue.

My request is...It would be great if people could look at the attached reports from the last 2 nights and help me interpret the results.

Early 50's male. Approx. 165 lbs. 5' 8

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Long time reader..first time poster
Hi 48th!

I think you are showing some problems on those charts. Not too bad yet, but enough to be concerned
since you say you are waking up not feeling rested.
Just to be on the conservative side, collect 7 to 10 days worth of data and then spread all the printouts on a big table.
Look for the days where you fall below 88% and count the number of events.
Also check the category on the report that shows total amount of time spent below 88%.
You *are* showing a significant number of events with saturation falling below 88% (this is not good)
Just to be sure one should look at more days. (larger sample if you will)
I started out the same way, with a wrist mounted pulse oximeter. I would be ok for a few days but then cave in on bad days sometimes
bottoming out at 70%.
Once I got on CPAP I was consistantly staying well up in the green.. (90% or better)

I saved my *bad* report days and took them to my Dr and got my CPAP prescription written that way.

It's a good thing that you are making these checks on yourself and being your own advocate.

Good-work

See if you can collect more O2 data and see what it looks like.

Then you may have a case built to take to a pulmonary doctor for further investigation / possible sleep study etc.

Cheers & good luck!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I would agree that you should continue to collect data, but also make an appointment to see the doctor. Given the long time periods involved, you might not want to delay especially if you have to be referred by your primary.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi 49thparallel,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might re consider CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome
Regards;
Lex Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses and the welcomes. Very much appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
if it has been a while since your mandibular device has been advanced or the bands are wearing out, you might just need another adjustment. Then watch to see if there is a change. A lot of us would just say to jump the fence and get on our side. That might be a great idea, but talk to your doc, and take data to show.

Hope all works out well.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-04-2015, 08:33 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: if it has been a while since your mandibular device has been advanced or the bands are wearing out, you might just need another adjustment. Then watch to see if there is a change. A lot of us would just say to jump the fence and get on our side. That might be a great idea, but talk to your doc, and take data to show.

Hope all works out well.

QAL

Thanks for the reply. I've been trying advancements for the past few nights, but it doesn't seem to be making any difference. (except for the jaw being a whole lot stiffer in the morning). Guess it is time to get to the doc's. Perhaps I am experiencing more central apneas now.

I also take Trazadone every night as well. When I last did an overnight sleep lab study about 7 years ago, they told me that I was experiencing an unhealthly high Spontaneous Arousal Index, so the Trazadone was prescribed to calm the brain at night.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I used a mandibular advancement device also, and got the device for snoring not apnea since that was not diagnosed yet. I've been told that when wearing it for apnea, that using the device will lower your AHI about 20 +/- points. It helped my apnea as a secondary result, and the snoring for a while. However, with the advancement needed for me (34) for me to stop snoring it has made changes to my bite.

The most important issue is that for people that have severe apnea mandibular devices are not recommended. I strongly suggest that you get a professional lab sleep study done.

Good luck.

(08-01-2015, 03:00 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi 49thparallel,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might re consider CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 0 92 03-13-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: cathyf
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 549 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 228 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,017 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 144 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 756 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 219 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.