Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My spouse is in denial
RE: My spouse is in denial
(08-17-2017, 10:18 AM)readyforsleep Wrote: I have been using nasal pillows for about 7 years.  My husband has been very good about it until now. 2 things are going on: 
1)  I am mouth breathing and have tried the chin strap route, cervical collar, tongue trick, even taping.  Still have large leaks.  I can't seem to explain to him that leaks are bad and that they defeat the effectiveness of cpap.  I am journeying into full face mask territory and he won't accept it.

I just asked my wife, and she says to tell you that if he loves you he will accept that this is something you need to do for your own health and well being.

Quote:2)  Because he has seen me fall asleep in the car and I had no apnea he does not think I need cpap anymore.

But you can't tell by watching someone sleep. If you could we would just watch people sleep instead of doing a polysomnography. You need the data! (More on this below).

Quote:He also feels like when I sleep at nite with the machine he doesn't hear me stop breathing etc or gasping for air thus I do not need cpap.

Well then he doesn't understand how CPAP therapy works. Its purpose is not to treat the effects caused by the gasping and the breath-stopping. Its purpose is to prevent or drastically reduce the occurrence of the gasping and breath-stopping. So the fact that he doesn't observe you gasping could instead be evidence that you do indeed need CPAP.

Here's something that might convince him. Look at one of those models they use in biology classes to show how the diaphragm works, like the one in the drawing I've attached at the bottom of this message. You pull down on the rubber sheet that's stretched across the bottom of the glass jar, which lowers the pressure in the cavity around the lungs. Atmospheric pressure then pushes air through the neck of the bottle and into the lungs. Now suppose that the neck of that bottle were too small to let the air into the lungs. You'd need to expand the neck of the bottle, and that is exactly what the CPAP machine does. It expands that neck so that the diaphragm's motion can cause air to flow into the lungs. In a polysomnography they monitor both diaphragm motion and air flow. If the diaphragm moves but the air doesn't flow, then the bottle neck is restricting the flow. Tell hubby that if he wants he can sit there with one hand on your diaphragm and the other near your nose, and do the monitoring himself. Basically he's now trusting his own judgment over the judgment of the medical technicians who used equipment to measure the very same thing.

And here's the thing. If your airway collapses or restricts in any way as you fall from one level of sleep into a deeper level of sleep, your brain can elevate your sleep level back up to that higher level so you can move the throat muscles that allow you to start breathing again, an entirely autonomic process, someone watching and monitoring you will never detect it, but a polysomnography will. And you could be doing it dozens of times per hour or more. Without those deeper levels of sleep that you're deprived of you not only don't get the sleep you need to function properly, you raise the risk of mental illness, cardiovascular disease, and stroke.

And it depletes your sex drive, too! That's a clinical fact. You did say he's an engineer, right?

Quote:You guys know what a journey trying to get the right full face mask is.  

When I made the transition to a full face mask I was thinking it would be a journey, too. But it wasn't. I grabbed one that I had in my supplies. This sounds gross, but it was used. It came with the CPAP machine I bought on craigslist. It sat in a box under my bed for a year before I took it out, cleaned it, and tried it. No problems whatsoever. And I had trouble with a nasal mask when I was a newbie and had to switch to pillows! I then had my DME supply me with a different full face mask, and again no problems. I even tried yet another different design and again no significant problems.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am overwhelmed with all your responses.  Thank you so much.  You guys got me laughing, hey even my husband is chuckling...you gave me technical info to educate my engineer.  I am in a much better frame of mind to go forward.  I pick up 2 masks today that i've ordered online - 30 day trial.  I am more than ready...I love this forum!
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2017, 05:36 AM)readyforsleep Wrote: I am overwhelmed with all your responses.  Thank you so much.  You guys got me laughing, hey even my husband is chuckling...you gave me technical info to educate my engineer.  I am in a much better frame of mind to go forward.  I pick up 2 masks today that i've ordered online - 30 day trial.  I am more than ready...I love this forum!

That's awesome. like

I notice that your untreated AHI is 63. That's well into the severe category. And your 2014 AHI is 3.0. I wonder what that means? You had another sleep study done in 2014 and your AHI is 3.0 while hooked up to a CPAP machine?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepster,  only had one sleeps study  in 2010.  2014 ahi of 3.0 is using  my cpap machine.  I got alot of tweaking help from the forum at that time - especially from Retired Guy...
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spouse not want to sleep with you because of the cpap? dorlow 6 758 03-18-2023, 06:46 AM
Last Post: fishfinderG
  Review and help with spouse's cpap settings Motorheadrulz 4 547 12-04-2022, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Compliance too good? Insurance Company denial letter Gideon 12 2,050 04-02-2021, 02:03 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  spouse goes for sleep study soon...what to expect after? mavericktx 21 3,745 01-30-2018, 10:10 AM
Last Post: ghstudio
  Medicare Denial Kidnap 91 17,974 03-15-2017, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Kidnap
  Effects of SA non-compliance on spouse legibleink 13 3,760 03-08-2016, 01:08 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  [Treatment] Spouse has very high AHI and congestion when trying CPAP snowboardjoe 8 3,750 03-05-2015, 03:39 PM
Last Post: retired_guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.