Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tips for Increasing Compliance
Tips for Increasing Compliance
Hi all, been on CPAP a few months now. Like everyone else it took some messing with settings and mask types, but I've found keeping the ERP setting at 3 and the nasal pillows work best for me. Generally I can do 4-5 hours a night with the mask on and a AHI around 2-4. 

However, I still have trouble falling asleep with it sometimes unless I'm quite tired. I was using Unisom to help but apparently it messes with your REM sleep, so I'd like to not rely on that so much. I also find that most nights I'll wake up after 4-5 hours and in order to go back to sleep I'll have to take the mask off and then spend the rest of my sleeping hours without it. 

So just curious, does anyone know of any good ways to increase my ability to be compliant and hopefully get 7-8 hours with mask on? Does watching TV and stuff with it on really help? I guess I don't see it being able to assist much.

Any tips appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tips for Increasing Compliance
Such a good question! Using the machine while you watch TV or read can help get your brain used to the novel experience. There may be nothing you notice about this process of acclimation, but it will be at work anyhow.

Do you know what causes your wake-ups after 4-5 hours? For example, do you need to get up to urinate? Also, drinking alcohol in the evenings can cause wake-ups partway through the night. Could that be an issue for you?

Some people who find it hard to get back to sleep with the mask on get some help from using some relaxation techniques, e.g., tightening then relaxing various muscles starting with your head and working your way down your body.

How long do you lie there awake before you give up and take off the mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
GoliGoli,

Post a screenshot of your daily screen from around the time you initially wake up (after the 4-5 hours).  There may be a clue in your data.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2022, 02:32 PM)Jeff8356 Wrote: GoliGoli,

Post a screenshot of your daily screen from around the time you initially wake up (after the 4-5 hours).  There may be a clue in your data.

Ok I will do this! Sadly my SD card has been out for a few weeks but I'll put it back in now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2022, 02:23 PM)Dormeo Wrote: Do you know what causes your wake-ups after 4-5 hours?  For example, do you need to get up to urinate?  Also, drinking alcohol in the evenings can cause wake-ups partway through the night.  Could that be an issue for you?

Some people who find it hard to get back to sleep with the mask on get some help from using some relaxation techniques, e.g., tightening then relaxing various muscles starting with your head and working your way down your body.

How long do you lie there awake before you give up and take off the mask?

Hm often I do have to urinate around this time. I've experimented with not drinking much liquids past 7pmish but it's very hard to do! I don't drink alcohol but I do smoke marijuana (Also bad for REM sleep) so maybe that is part of it. 

Generally I will lie there awake for maybe 10-15 mins before giving up and taking it off. When I'm using Unisom it isn't a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
With time on CPAP, you will be less likely to need to urinate during the night. Apnea events can stimulate the production of a hormone that sets off the release of fluid from the body. (You can google this if you're interested in more details.) Fewer apnea events, eventually less night-time urination. While you are still at the outset of treatment, however, you might be smart to restrict fluids more carefully.

I'd say give 20 minutes to the effort to fall back asleep with the mask on. As I mentioned, don't just lie there hating on the mask; try some relaxation techniques instead. After 20 minutes, if you still can't fall back asleep, most sleep experts would tell you to get up and do something low-key until you feel sleepy, then try again. That takes a lot of self-discipline, but it can be done.

Once you get the hang of sleeping all night with the mask, you'll wonder what your problem was. But here at the outset, you will need to work on this.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may find some useful info regarding Sleep Hygiene here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Sleep_hygiene

Breaking a bad lifestyle habit we have developed over many years is never easy, but it is possible.  A positive attitude helps a great deal also.
I am typically a very stubborn person and never expected myself to be able to make these changes to get better sleep.  It happened slowly, so have patience and you should notice some changes.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2022, 09:16 PM)Dormeo Wrote: With time on CPAP, you will be less likely to need to urinate during the night.  Apnea events can stimulate the production of a hormone that sets off the release of fluid from the body.  (You can google this if you're interested in more details.)  Fewer apnea events, eventually less night-time urination.  While you are still at the outset of treatment, however, you might be smart to restrict fluids more carefully.  

I'd say give 20 minutes to the effort to fall back asleep with the mask on.  As I mentioned, don't just lie there hating on the mask; try some relaxation techniques instead.  After 20 minutes, if you still can't fall back asleep, most sleep experts would tell you to get up and do something low-key until you feel sleepy, then try again.  That takes a lot of self-discipline, but it can be done.

Once you get the hang of sleeping all night with the mask, you'll wonder what your problem was.  But here at the outset, you will need to work on this.

This actually rings quite true. Usually when I use to wake up in the middle of the night I'd need to go to the bathroom, but that seems to happen less these days.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 43 1,352 03-26-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 269 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,286 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Question [CPAP] New to CPAP/APAP looking for Adjustment tips jster71 2 305 02-16-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,540 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.