Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My view of Life and Sleep Apnea
My view of Life and Sleep Apnea
My neighbor has children 10 and 7 years old and it tires me at 64 years old to see their unlimited supply of energy,  when I was that old I can’t remember if I had that kink on energy or not, from my teen years through My  20’s still didn’t give Apnea a thought, but starting in my late 20’s and through my 30’s I started noticing something wasn’t right with me, the guys I worked with could do 8 hour shift and work overtime 4 hours and still have energy to play softball, with me there was no way I could do this and I couldn’t figure out why.
In my late 30’s I had become so depressed that I was diagnosed with Major Depression I was getting to where I could not function very well.
When I say my ability to function,in my late 40’s and 50’s I was getting to where reading as much as I written hear would make me so tired and now in my 60’s it has become so hard to do the research on Sleep Apnea, the terminology’s, trying to learn something new is mind boggling and nothing makes any sense to me, I know all of you that has been offering help to me can’t understand why I can’t get it through my thick head the information you are offering me, I think in my late 60’s my mind my not even work at all.
Is it possible that my Sleep Apnea My have a Major effect on the life I just described, I know that getting older has a lot do with it but, I think Apnea has its ugly hand in it.
Thanks for reading
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My view of Life and Sleep Apnea
Why is it my post has Headers and Footers when I post something?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2019, 06:53 AM)Apnearon Wrote: Why is it my post has Headers and Footers when I post something?

You are changing the font size which isn’t necessary.
I have edited your post so it is at default size.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think a lot of us feel that apnea has affected our brain to a greater or lesser extent. And of course getting older means we have fewer brain cells to process new information. We definitely do slow down and it's harder to learn new things. But the brain is a wonderful organ and it does respond to exercise. The thing is to keep it active and try new things. Just like in the gym we need to push our muscles to stop them wasting we need to push our brain as well.

The whole apnea thing can be confusing. A lot of it doesn't seem to make sense, and often we find the doctors don't always know as much as they should. Plus they haven't experienced the dreadful fatigue that can come from apnea, so it's hard for them to empathise.

Here on the forum we are all apneacs. We've all been through the same mill so we do understand. Please ask as many questions as you can and we will answer as best we can. Sometimes we'll get too technical, or assume you know something you don't - if that happens, pull us up and tell us we're not being clear. We'll try to answer as simply as possible. But keep working your brain, stretch it and learn as much as you can. It can be bloody hard at times, but it will be worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2019, 07:08 AM)OpalRose Wrote:
(06-17-2019, 06:53 AM)Apnearon Wrote: Why is it my post has Headers and Footers when I post something?

Thanks OpalRose
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2019, 07:24 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: I think a lot of us feel that apnea has affected our brain to a greater or lesser extent. And of course getting older means we have fewer brain cells to process new information. We definitely do slow down and it's harder to learn new things. But the brain is a wonderful organ and it does respond to exercise. The thing is to keep it active and try new things. Just like in the gym we need to push our muscles to stop them wasting we need to push our brain as well.

The whole apnea thing can be confusing. A lot of it doesn't seem to make sense, and often we find the doctors don't always know as much as they should. Plus they haven't experienced the dreadful fatigue that can come from apnea, so it's hard for them to empathise.

Here on the forum we are all apneacs. We've all been through the same mill so we do understand. Please ask as many questions as you can and we will answer as best we can. Sometimes we'll get too technical, or assume you know something you don't - if that happens, pull us up and tell us we're not being clear. We'll try to answer as simply as possible.  But keep working your brain, stretch it and learn as much as you can. It can be bloody hard at times, but it will be worth it.

Thanks DeepBreathing
If my OCD was as strong now as it use to be then I would have learned the terminology and all the basics other stuff I needed to learn but my OCD gets bored ? 
I still have enough left to keep pushing forward but not as strongly as before.
I really do appreciate everything you guys are doing for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Apnearon, your experience sounds rough, and I’m sorry. Could you tell us how long you’ve been using CPAP? And what is your AHI? (You can see it on the screen on the front of your machine.) Do you have the sense that you sleep well during the night, or do you wake up a lot? And finally, do you know whether any medications you take have side-effects like sleepiness or insomnia?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2019, 08:04 AM)Apnearon Wrote:
(06-17-2019, 07:08 AM)OpalRose Wrote:

Thanks OpalRose

You are very welcome! Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2019, 10:38 AM).Dormeo Wrote: Apnearon, your experience sounds rough, and I’m sorry. Could you tell us how long you’ve been using CPAP?  And what is your AHI?  (You can see it on the screen on the front of your machine.)  Do you have the sense that you sleep well during the night, or do you wake up a lot?  And finally, do you know whether any medications you take have side-effects like sleepiness or insomnia?

Thanks Dormeo
I did my sleep apnea test on 5-25- 19 I bought the cpap machine shortly after, AHI all over the place, sleep well, no, it a constant struggling with getting the FULL face mask to seal, most nights after fighting with the mask and not getting any sleep I remove the mask and quickly fall asleep, Meds, Blood Pressure in the morning and pill for type2 diabetics, at night insulin shot and that’s it for meds.
I’ve only tried a full face mask, with small, medium, and large mask inserts, I’m mainly a side sleeper and I think the full mask and my pillow can’t get along with each other.
I’m thinking maybe a nasal pillow mask is what I need from what I’m seeing on the web, it makes sense that the full mask is the losing the battle.
I figure with a nasal pillow mask it would sharply cut down the AREA of places that it is leaking from now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Apnearon, I read your other threads, and actually I think you are working on all of this as a smart problem-solver. You figured out how to get your DME to replace your brick with a great machine, and you figured out how to use Oscar and post charts.

Up next:mask! It takes many people several tries to find a workable mask, so your experience is not at all unusual.

I think you are right that the next kind of mask to try is a nasal pillow mask, and I recommend the ResMed Airfit P10. It is very minimalist and very quiet.

The headgear comes in two sizes, smaller (pink, For Her) and larger (blue). I hope you can try them on to see which works better for you. The pillows come in small, medium, and large. I hope you can take home a set of all three. Many people find they need to go up a size from where they start.

Mouth leaks are inevitable, especially at the beginning, so you might want to invest in a neck collar and/or chin strap while you’re at it.

If you go this route, please post information about how it works for you. There are lots of tips people could give you, depending on your experience.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 224 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 106 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Need help with RERAs in sleep apnea shedu1337 8 279 04-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 192 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 377 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 499 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 746 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.