Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My wife first day on the CPAP - Any feedback welcome
My wife first day on the CPAP - Any feedback welcome
I have been on one for a month and overall I think it is working well.

Denise started last night and this is here chart for the first night.  It is not easy on her for sure but telling her to be patient.

Diagnosed with Severe Apnea with AHI > 30.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My wife first day on the CPAP - Any feedback welcome
I would dial her EPR back to 2 and see what happens to her Central Apneas.
Min pressure should be no lower than 4 + EPR = 4 + 2 = 6
Post Reply Post Reply
And please be very specific with how she feels.

Have her read a book, watch TV, Play games on her phone while using her CPAP at pressure, something she enjoys really doesn't matter what it is. This is just to help he get used to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Curious but from looking at the chart what indicates that she has central apnea?
Post Reply Post Reply
Clear Airway is Central Apnea.  It is called "Clear" because of no obstruction as determined by FOT, Forced Oscillation Technique, basically a 'sonar' pulse that looks for obstruction.  
A determiner of Central Apnea is no 'electrical' signal is sent to initiate a breath, and no chest or belly expansion occurs, neither of which is measured by any CPAP.  The FOT is an accepted method of determining that the apnea is central apnea.  Because these are not measured, ResMed decided to call this event a "Clear Airway" event.  Somewhat confusing isn't it.
Post Reply Post Reply
CA events are very common in new users, and can result from changing position in bed, changes in sleep stage and reduced CO2 from improved ventilation. That is why a reduction in the EPR is recommended. A minimum pressure of 6 and EPR 2 will ensure she receives consistent EPR or pressure support through the night. I notice she is using ramp and there are numerous spikes in the respiration rate during that period that suggest arousal or perhaps an event. The machine does not record events during ramp, and when pressure is this low, we recommend you turn ramp off if it is tolerated. This will give her more air as she tries to go to sleep and should be more comfortable than the fixed pressure of 4.0 without EPR. She is going to do better with the settings suggested by bonjour, and should see fewer pressure fluctuations and events.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's a great advice.  She did not do well at all last night. She ended up stopping it at 1:30.  Everyting based on charts went awire and end up with AHI around 20!

Here is the 4th chart and her current settings:

I am going to call her doctor and get the sleep study records and charts today.

it looks like she had a mask leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
That cluster at the end is positional apnea. Read the positional apnea wiki and soft cervical collar. It this pattern continues, you will need that information. It did not show up on the first night, so we can wait and see. The settings you posted seem to be from yesterday. If ramp is on, please change to Auto instead of 45 minutes. As I said, ramp off is the preferred option.

https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsen...setup-info
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
She is a slide sleeper.  Will make the changes on ramp tonight .

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
Note how pressure went to max. No amount of pressure will correct this Positional Apnea / Chin Tucking

Waking and restarting will normally clear this type of event, at least temporarily. Not using the CPAP does no good at all for this type of event.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Sleep HQ Chart Feedback RobertGeorge 9 239 03-21-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Leaks/Flow Rate Issues - Feedback Greatly Appreciated CavemanDoctor 1 350 01-22-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 934 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feedback and Help on OSCAR Data, I am a new user of a CPAP machine and feel tired! fdm1990 3 537 11-29-2023, 01:39 AM
Last Post: fdm1990
  Feedback on OSCAR data Jobaaayyy 13 770 11-27-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.