Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My wife first day on the CPAP - Any feedback welcome
RE: My wife first day on the CPAP - Any feedback welcome
So the key is to help find solution on positional apnea.  She tends to bundle up in a ball when sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2020, 10:54 AM)ericmsilver Wrote: So the key is to help find solution on positional apnea.  She tends to bundle up in a ball when sleeping.

and that tends to tuck the chin!!!

Read the Positional Apnea Wiki, there is a simple demonstration test you can do, but I am certain that is the cause.
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife only managed to last 2 hours last night.  We bought a CPAP 2 Max oillow and she likes the comfort that it is giving her
From the chart all I could see was the pressure kept going up to the max which is 16.  She woke and on it and removed the mask.

She explained that she could not break and was choking

We are working on the issue of positional apnea but not easy to figure out the right solution.

Post Reply Post Reply
Pressure is being driven by flow limitation. Based on what we're seeing here I would increase EPR to 3, increase minimum pressure to 7.0 and limit maximum pressure at 12.0. At the beginning of the night much of the expiratory flow is missing on the chart, so the higher EPR should help, and I think limiting maximum pressure will be more comfortable as I see more indication of stress as pressure rises higher. Encourage her to stay with it and comfort will improve, especially with these setting changes. Good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
We did not do the suggested changes on the EPR back to 3 as this was the original setting when we moved it to 2 a week ago.

She enjoyed her night much better.  I am going to set minimum to 7 and lower maximum as well and see what happens.

She stayed on her back most of the night until about 4 when she switched to her side and the we had a big jump on the leak rate.  

Let's see what hapens tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife is also on CPAP. I'm similarly reluctant to move quickly on changes when things are actually okay from event and comfort standpoints.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I understand about doing too many changes but these are minor ones.
Post Reply Post Reply
No changes made but she is still major amount of CA and OA around three and 5 am.

We are pretty sure it is positional apnea so we will try some neck braces.

We bought on amazon these two

Velpeau Neck Brace -Foam Cervical Collar - Soft Neck Support Relieves Pain & Pressure in Spine - Wraps Aligns Stabilizes Vertebrae - Can Be Used During Sleep (Dual-use, Brown, Medium, 3″)
and 
Soft Foam Neck Brace Cervical Collar, Adjustable Neck Support Brace for Sleeping - Relieves Neck Pain and Spine Pressure Black Small

Are these any good?

Here is the chart for last night

Post Reply Post Reply
I would be very tempted to increase minimum pressure by 1 cm and reduce EPR by 1. So minimum pressure 8.0, EPR 2. Higher priority on the increase in minimum pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My wife first day on the CPAP - 2 weeks after!
I think we have good news overall, she is getting used to the CPAP machine and actually like it.

Here AHI is way down but not in the below 5 area consistently.

Last night she added a Neck Brace to help keeping her airway open,

Any comments or recommendatiions would be appreciated. 

Happy 4th!

Here are her settings.

Mode
APAP
Pressure Min
7.00 cmH2O
Pressure Max
16.00 cmH2O
Antibacterial Filter
No
Climate Control
Auto
EPR
Full Time
EPR Level
3 cmH2O
Humidifier Status
On
Humidity Level
Mask
Nasal
Patient Access
No
Ramp
Off
Smart Start
Off
Temperature
27 ºC
Temperature Enable
p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 537 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 196 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Sleep HQ Chart Feedback RobertGeorge 9 239 03-21-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Leaks/Flow Rate Issues - Feedback Greatly Appreciated CavemanDoctor 1 350 01-22-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 934 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feedback and Help on OSCAR Data, I am a new user of a CPAP machine and feel tired! fdm1990 3 537 11-29-2023, 01:39 AM
Last Post: fdm1990
  Feedback on OSCAR data Jobaaayyy 13 770 11-27-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.