Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My zicam addiction
My zicam addiction
Hello, I'm new to this site and I am curious if anybody else has had the same issue I have. Ever since starting my cpap therapy (Jan of 2013) I cannot go one night using my machine without zicam. I also get very congested during the day at about the same time each day. My guess it's when the zicam from the night before has worn off.

I've told my doctor about my new zicam addiction, and his answer is to prescribe me a different decongestant. But nothing works as well as zicam!
Problem is I've never needed a decongestant in my life, and now I feel my nose needs it daily.

So my long winded question is has anybody else experienced this? I know it sounds silly to be hooked on nose spray but I think I am.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My zicam addiction
It is not unusual for CPAP therapy to cause nasal congestion, either because of too little humidification or because of too much humidification. Have you tried adjusting your humidification settings to try to find your personal "sweet spot"?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi joshuatree,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What RonWessels said.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are getting congested later in the day, that's not your CPAP.

But if you are saying you wake up congested, take Zycam, then need more later, then it does indeed sound like a humidification issue.

Turning the humidifier up too high can have the same symptoms as too low. What do you have it set on now?

As an alternative to medication, try some of the menthol rubs or even a menthol nasal gel. Ayr makes one I think. Another option is to get a small desktop humidifier and keep near you in the afternoons.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.