Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

MyAir accuracy?
MyAir accuracy?
So how accurate is the MyAir data? I've been on my AirSense 10 for almost 2 weeks now and I've taken to it very well. Not to brag, I just feel extremely fortunate that I adapted almost immediately to the machine. I check my numbers on MyAir every day about 2 hours after waking and they're great. AHI is consistently under 1. And the highest leak rate has been about 8L/min.

However, last night my wife was awakened by a "blow drier sound." It was me! Evidently I opened my mouth and the air came out rather forcefully. Yet this morning I scored 100 on MyAir and it said my leak rate was 0. This just doesn't seem right. So I'm going to get sleepyhead today and look at the data itself. Perhaps that was one small blip in the night and the MyAir reports the whole 7-8 hour average?

So has anyone noticed accuracy issues with MyAir?

Dave
Happy Wife and kids
Big Yellow Jeep
Homebuilt hardtail
A Dozen Guitars
Once I can sleep, life will be perfect
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: MyAir accuracy?
My husband reports the same thing and that's often on nights where MyAir reports no major leaks.. however, I *think* I remember reading that the ResMed machines measure major leaks as leaks that last for 10 minutes (????) or more, and my husband says he nudges me after a min or so and I move and close my mouth. Maybe your wife got you to close your mouth? Lets see what the more experienced members of the group say.
------------
Allynpsych --- Psychology Professor, wife, and mother of a 4-yr old... in need of a good night's sleep. Dreaming
Post Reply Post Reply
MyAir is a very high-level, normalized view of your therapy. If your wife woke you up when she heard the "blow drier" that was your mouth, the leak probably did not last long enough to have a net effect on your therapy or numbers.

If you want a detailed view of your therapy, you should download and begin using the free Sleepyhead software, available at the link at the top of our page. This will give you a breath-by-breath view of every second of your therapy - you can see every leak, no matter how brief, as well as many other relevant metrics that can help you make adjustments to optimize. For instance, you can see if your pressure range needs to be tweaked (I noticed that it's quite narrow) by looking at the pressure traces.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the exact same setup only I am not having as good results. I get 100's every night (99 when I have to pee). My AHIs around 3-4. The readings from SleepyHead are spot on with MyAir. However, I do get different numbers with leak but I think MyAir throws out the worst 5% of the leaks.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2016, 09:26 AM)partsmutt Wrote: Evidently I opened my mouth and the air came out rather forcefully. Yet this morning I scored 100 on MyAir and it said my leak rate was 0. This just doesn't seem right. So I'm going to get sleepyhead today and look at the data itself. Perhaps that was one small blip in the night and the MyAir reports the whole 7-8 hour average?

Dave

myair is *accurate* but *dumbed down*.

anytime you try and reduce everything that happens in a whole night to a couple of numbers, it's very dumbed down.

your leak rate may be zero, because the big leak wasn't happening for very long.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi partsmutt,
It's great to hear that you are adjusting to your mask and machine so well, keep up the good work, WELL DONE.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2016, 09:26 AM)partsmutt Wrote: I check my numbers on MyAir every day about 2 hours after waking and they're great. AHI is consistently under 1. And the highest leak rate has been about 8L/min.
[...]
However, last night my wife was awakened by a "blow drier sound." It was me! Evidently I opened my mouth and the air came out rather forcefully. Yet this morning I scored 100 on MyAir and it said my leak rate was 0. This just doesn't seem right. So I'm going to get sleepyhead today and look at the data itself. Perhaps that was one small blip in the night and the MyAir reports the whole 7-8 hour average?

I'm sort of at the same spot you are in therapy (maybe a week or two more of experience). After some horribly leaky nights, I wasn't convinced of MyAir's accuracy, so I got a copy of sleepyhead and started looking at the details.

All I can say is that I don't know how MyAir is coming up with the leak figure it reports, which seems to usually be more optimistic than reality. I also can't figure out how the S10 is coming up with the leak figure it reports (which is different than MyAir, and seems less optimistic).

There's been a couple of nights that I was sure I was leaking intermittently all night, and sleepyhead confirmed it, yet somehow MyAir seems to think I wasn't having any problems. My favorite was the night that I apparently didn't secure the mask correctly and I awoke with it laying on the bed beside me blowing air in my face. Yet, somehow I had virtually no leaks according to MyAir and a smiley face on the machine. Yeah right.

So.... It seems like MyAir ignores all but the most extreme of leaks - which doesn't seem very helpful while I'm trying to figure out how well I've got my mask adjusted and so on.

I'd highly recommend a copy of sleepyhead, as for me it has made all the difference in the world for being able to adjust masks and gain enough data to be able to understand when I had a good leak night and when I didn't. Especially since my leaks tend to be large and short. I'm also getting to the point that I can *tell* when I wake up how things went.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will have to go home and look, but I seem to remember that there were different display options for the report on the A10 machine. /Daily, /Weekly, /Monthly. Depending on what you are set at, may be why your are seeing differences with myair also.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are different display options for the A10. Additionally, MyAir may be reporting a different percentile for its leak rate - I'm not sure it's reporting the 95% leak rate. It maybe 90 or even 70.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2016, 09:26 AM)partsmutt Wrote: So how accurate is the MyAir data? ...

I've been on CPAP treatment for almost 30 days and I have wondered exactly the same thing about MyAir. Some mouth breathing and mask leaks don't seem to be captured. However, I'm not getting perfect scores very often because my sleep/therapy time is usually under 7 hours and I often have a "mask off" bathroom break sometime during the night.

In my opinion, SleepyHead data and charts are much more informative.

Another alternative on the AirSense 10 is to add the Events per Hour indicator for better wake-up info - in the ApneaBoard forum search for Thread-All-you-wanted-to-know-about-the-ResMed-Airsense-10 for details
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Resmed Myair wrong region bobdobbs 3 629 10-05-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  My best streak so far on MyAir App scores DaveInDenver 1 464 09-13-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  AirSense 11 and MyAir App - Poor Experience necochino 29 4,633 08-24-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: krsattler
  Took 6 months but finally got 100 on myAir app. Any way to improve my treatment? 1978 0 489 08-22-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: 1978
  new resmed user - question about Myair and airview wooders 4 1,089 08-20-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: krsattler
Gross [CPAP] No data being sent to myAir account. cuteandwicked 17 14,813 08-09-2023, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Question about OSCAR accuracy during high leak periods raptosnorus 13 965 06-26-2023, 12:55 PM
Last Post: raptosnorus

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.