Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mystery Awakenings With BiPap
Mystery Awakenings With BiPap
Hello,

I received a UARS diagnosis after two sleep studies reported an RDI of 14 and 9, with an AHI of less than 5. I also have extreme daytime fatigue, dizziness, brain fog, etc.

My doctor put me on a Resmed APAP during 4/2022. I felt a little better, but I still woke up 10+ times per night and felt tired, dizzy, etc, during the day.

I was switched to a BiPAP in 9/2022 to deal with the aerophagia. My current settings are PS 4, with an expiratory pressure of 6.4.

1) Every night, I wake up between 2.5-3.5 hours after falling asleep. I know this because I turn the machine off, which is visible in OSCAR. Interestingly, 90% of the nights, per OSCAR, the pressure has ramped up around the time of my nighttime awakenings. 

2) Zooming in, I see lots of breathing events (flat flow rate, flat inspiratory tops, etc) often followed by crazy flow lines (wake breathing?), finally followed by me turning the BiPAP off.

My sleep doctor isn't interested in this data, and I'm wondering if anyone can determine if I'm waking up due to breathing events that the BiPAP hasn't prevented, and if so, what I can do about it?

I'm already dealing with some aerophagia later in the night, so I'm a little worried about increasing the pressure. 

Finally, I should also mention that my AHI index increased by 1-2 points (along with the 95% pressure) after switching to the BiPAP due to an increase in central apneas.

A) Please see the full night graphs from the last few nights here: imgur.com/a/pO8P359. 
The pressure breaks in the graphs are when I turned the unit off.

B) Please see a couple of zoomed-in charts around the time I first woke up here: imgur.com/a/IMSNCTg.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mystery Awakenings With BiPap
I forgot to include last night's data. Please see last night's full graph and a zoomed-in graph around the time I woke up here: imgur.com/a/Wtcvyts

Note: The break in the graph is when I turned it off (I was awake).
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know about anyone else but I can not see charts in your post.  Use the F12 key to take a screenshot in OSCAR and attach it to your post using the button at the bottom of the post.  Once we are able to see the nights charts we will have some idea what may be wrong.

See the bottom of this post (my signature) as to the charts and order of charts we need.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi staceyburke!

Thanks for the response!

I uploaded the graphs to imgur to save space on your server, and so I could upload more than three graphs.

From my original post:

A) Please see the full night graphs from the last few nights here: imgur.com/a/pO8P359

B) Please see a couple of zoomed-in charts around the time I first woke up here: imgur.com/a/IMSNCTg.

Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
Trying to be useful here  Big Grin I think I know how to embed the pictures. Here are the first five as a test:

[Image: ?raw=1]
[Image: BIMx7mJ.png?raw=1]
[Image: NMZRXzC.png?raw=1]
[Image: gUOrxmL.png?raw=1]
[Image: 8um8sjN.png?raw=1]
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cathyf,

Thank you! Can you also post the images from these two links imgur.com/a/Wtcvyts and imgur.com/a/IMSNCTg? I'm new so I'm not able to post images.
Post Reply Post Reply
SBDhelp - You can post images as a new member, just not links.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Understood. Here are the remaining graphs, which are zoomed in around the time I first woke up. As I noted in my original post, the pressure is elevated and I'm usually having breathing events (the flow rate is not normal) around these awakenings.

Final graphs.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Actually... embedding pictures is not the best way to share them. They cannot be enlarged and they take longer to scroll past.

Use the Attachment feature, which is found below the text entry box. This creates a small thumbnail view which links to the full size picture, so people that want the full detail can see it, and people who don't can skip past it easily.

Even new members can attach screenshots - no worriers.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi pholynyk,

I have ran out of my allocated space, so I'm not able to upload the remaining charts, which are my night-long charts.

As said in my original post, I posted the graphs on Imgur, and they can be seen here: imgur.com/a/IMSNCTg
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 modem/provider mystery richapple 4 567 12-22-2023, 09:33 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Early awakenings - CPAP Help Sonatine600 0 349 11-22-2023, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Sonatine600
  Many Awakenings with Heart Rate Spikes jr991 3 497 11-18-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: jr991
  Help with bipap Al N 7 697 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N
  Night awakenings correlated to HR- REM sleep + OSA or UARS. logart89 1 559 06-21-2023, 06:19 PM
Last Post: mper6794

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.