Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

N00b
N00b
About a month in on treatment, the results from the sleep lab had me really freaked out, 94.8 AHI (Complex Apnea) something like 10% OSA and 90% CSA the CSA most likely due to the Pituitary Tumor I have (currently under control with medication, 7 years, down from fist size to the size of a Thumb).

It took some time to get this diagnosed and to a Sleep clinic, a lot of waking up gasping for air, thrashing in my sleep, getting up and falling asleep standing up falling onto tables, doors, you name it, I'm lucky I didn't do myself in from one of the falls. It got so bad I couldn't stay awake in the day, major sleep deprivation, for the last 2 years not more than 2-3hrs sleep in a night, yet so exhausted and drained.

Treatment, started off with a CPAP which was a mistake and later found a new provider that has me hooked up with the BiPAP I was prescribed, found this machine is helping a lot, but not without some issues.

Out of habit perhaps, I wake every 2-3hrs and take the mask off, I'll either get up walk around a bit and go back to sleep with the mask, other times I'll be taking it off and falling back to sleep without it on having apnea just as bad as before I started with treatment.

It may also have to do with the mask itself, I started with the Wisp and found the headgear to be to tight at the back of the head no matter how I adjusted it or what nasal piece I put on. Last week I went in for some results and the times I do have the mask on and am sleeping my AHI has gone down to 5-10 on average which is awesome, they gave me a Swift FX Nano to tryout and I really like the fit and feel of this one, feels I'm even getting better air flow than the Wisp but still I'm waking up every few hours and taking the mask off. I have another appointment Wednesday this week and maybe I'll try another mask? So unsure, the great thing is that I have so much more energy now even waking when I do, the Bipap I know is going to be a life saver, I just don't want to be taking it off and falling back to sleep with it not on, also want comfort from a mask, one of the downsides of having a large skull not much fits perfect.

Loving this board, I don't post much but wow what an awesome resource, so much info and that's just from what I've looked at so far...

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: N00b
Hi fx00 Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi fx00,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow FX, it sounds like the machine is doing you WAY lots of good! That's tremendous. Don't be taking the mask off now... Repeat after me, "the mask and I are one, the mask and I are one, ........."

Post Reply Post Reply
Wonder why they didn't prescribe a machine that helps with CA? You would also think that a person with a large skull could get a larger head gear. I wake up a lot too but I don't wake up, take the mask off and don't put it back on. I don't know how to remedy that but I am sure someone will be able to offer suggestions on that
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome -- remember to filter all advice through your particular diagnosis which is quite different from many others here including me.

When you look at the breakdown of Complex Apnew at AHI 95 and only 10% of those are obstructive then basic CPAP would only address an OSA of about 10 which is mild (when considered alone.)

The rest being central apneas had to be treated differently -- which of course you now realize but those of us offering help may not always know that unless you keep reminding us (put it in your signature or equipment listing.)
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2014, 10:33 PM)herbm Wrote: Welcome -- remember to filter all advice through your particular diagnosis which is quite different from many others here including me.

When you look at the breakdown of Complex Apnew at AHI 95 and only 10% of those are obstructive then basic CPAP would only address an OSA of about 10 which is mild (when considered alone.)

The rest being central apneas had to be treated differently -- which of course you now realize but those of us offering help may not always know that unless you keep reminding us (put it in your signature or equipment listing.)

I don't know the exact numbers, what I do know is that I have both OSA and CSA and the BiPAP ST I have been using has been working when I do use it so maybe what I have is Mixed Apnea and not CompSA .. I'll be sure to find out this week when I go in for my appointment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck fx00, I'll be in Vancouver soon so I hope there are good sleep doctors there, make sure to break em in for me Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
You can ask your sleep doc for your sleep study report -- read it now and you will also have it when you know more and get curious.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Good idea, I'll be asking for one... Learning more each day. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stressed and overwhelmed N00b - Where to start? araminta 9 920 06-01-2021, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Geer1
  n00b's first post questions jaydee1445 7 1,553 07-16-2019, 02:48 PM
Last Post: jaydee1445
  n00b trying to figure this stuff out kcducttaper 15 2,740 12-15-2016, 04:37 PM
Last Post: CaseyF
  couple dumb n00b questions aquacifer 6 2,599 05-01-2015, 10:22 AM
Last Post: OMyMyOHellYes
Grin (n00b) First 8 Days Great, but afterwards.. ph0tic 3 2,192 04-27-2015, 08:10 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  [Equipment] CPAP n00b - Question about factory reset on used S7Elite firestorm_v1 6 2,999 04-05-2014, 08:16 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.