Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

N00b
RE: N00b
I personally think that taking the mask off is a natural reaction, and just requires a learning curve. I am new to cpap therapy myself and my first few weeks, and even now my initial reaction upon waking is to take the mask off immediately. Now when I wake up I have to tell myself, "don't take off the mask" over and over again. Yet still I do it, it happens, it takes time. Just my 2 cents worth.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
Thanks, makes me feel a bit better actually ..
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2014, 09:23 PM)fx00 Wrote: It may also have to do with the mask itself, I started with the Wisp and found the headgear to be to tight at the back of the head no matter how I adjusted it or what nasal piece I put on.

also want comfort from a mask, one of the downsides of having a large skull not much fits perfect.

Check to see which set of headgear they gave you with the Wisp. When I tried it out, they gave me the Large version, but then changed it to the Standard, which worked much better for me. I used the Large cushion.

Post Reply Post Reply
My suggestion is to establish a routing that you follow.

I will NOT take off the mask while lying down in bed. My rule is that I must be sitting up and reaching for, or have pushed the, off button on the machine.

Must of the time I don't take it off then - but merely disconnect the mask pigtail hose from the machine hose since I am taking the mask to the sink to wash it and leaving it on is one less thing to carry. Cell phone, SDCard, etc., & mask.

Then I hit the info to see my stats on the machine.

I always pull the SDCard in the morning and keep it with my cell phone until I can shove it in the computer walking past to the kitchen.

SleepyHead and Rescan are usually running on my machine, so first time I sit down at the computer the data gets loaded.

First time I think about it, I return the SDCard to the machine (hate it when I forget to put it back in and miss some data or have to get out of bed to go get it.

Maybe after the first month or so, I will only load data every few days or so, but for my first 30 days I want the positive feedback of seeing it regularly.

--
HerbM
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello and welcome to the forum and to being a hosehead. I agree with creating a good pattern to follow, as muscle memory will also come into play - if you have a sleeping partner I would ask for their help in this as well.

Time, positive thinking, and finding a mask you can really be comfortable with, and more time will help.

You may wish to consider a few practice sessions while awake - wearing the mask of choice while reading, etc.
Another thought that might help? A more massive-sized/shape mask that is bulky may help you get used to wearing it, and then feeling somehow wrong if you are laying down without it.

As I too am in Pain MGNT, I also added an Oximeter (recording - CMS50F) to see and verify that my O2 levels were being maintained while sleeping. These also have an alarm function that can be set if you like, to go off if your O2 level drops too low, etc...

Best luck to you~!

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I want to know what the heck is N00b?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2014, 10:54 AM)Sevensox Wrote: I want to know what the heck is N00b?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=noob

I haven't seen any on this forum though
Post Reply Post Reply
"Newbs are those who are new to some task* and are very beginner at it, possibly a little overconfident about it, but they are willing to learn and fix their errors to move out of that stage. n00bs, on the other hand, know little and have no will to learn any more. They expect people to do the work for them and then expect to get praised about it, and make up a unique species of their own."

Ha ha, I'm a Noob and never knew it. I'm sick to death of everything related to medical issues and expect to be waited on hand and foot. That leaves out any possible medical care on this planet. Still, Noobs rule and I'm Noob! Smile...I've been wondering what I am all my life and know I know...
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, thanks. Now I can understand what I am reading!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2014, 10:01 AM)Sevensox Wrote: Ok, thanks. Now I can understand what I am reading!

Me too.

Thanks,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stressed and overwhelmed N00b - Where to start? araminta 9 920 06-01-2021, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Geer1
  n00b's first post questions jaydee1445 7 1,553 07-16-2019, 02:48 PM
Last Post: jaydee1445
  n00b trying to figure this stuff out kcducttaper 15 2,740 12-15-2016, 04:37 PM
Last Post: CaseyF
  couple dumb n00b questions aquacifer 6 2,598 05-01-2015, 10:22 AM
Last Post: OMyMyOHellYes
Grin (n00b) First 8 Days Great, but afterwards.. ph0tic 3 2,189 04-27-2015, 08:10 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  [Equipment] CPAP n00b - Question about factory reset on used S7Elite firestorm_v1 6 2,999 04-05-2014, 08:16 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.