Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

N20 or Wisp?
N20 or Wisp?
Hi,

I have been treated for Sleep Apnea for more than a year now. I have tried several masks, since my doctor allowed me to do it. The first masks I tried were nasal masks (at the doctor's office), but it did not work well at all while I was there (claustrophobia...).

Since then, I tried many options. After a while, I found the Respironics Dreamwear. It was a revelation. I usually sleep on my back and the Dreamwear is absolutely perfect for back sleepers, with no leak, the feeling of wearing nothing, low AHI, great air flow, etc. I cannot find anything even close to its comfort and efficiency.

I also have a Resmed F20, which I use when I have a cold or just nasal congestion.

I am looking at finding a mask for side sleeping. As I said, I am mostly a back sleeper, but I sometimes want to sleep on the side. It's hard to explain, but when I do, the Dreamwear is not as efficient.

I tried different options:

Resmed P10 - It had a lot of positives, but the prongs inside the nostrils created a burning sensation. Despite the use of coco oil or Lanolin, I decided I could not use this.
F&P - Pilairo Q - Same issue as above
F&P - Brevida - I had great expectations, but after many nights trying to fit it, I came to the conclusion that the X-Small/Small is too small for me (no leaks, but air flow too restricted), and the Medium/large, too large (leaks tons, cannot fit)
F&P Eson 2 - Many positives, but I find it a bit too cumbersome and heavy and I really dislike the headgear.

What the Eson 2 did, though, is show me that the claustrophobic sensation that I had when once I tried a nasal mask did not return.

I am looking at two options right now for the occasional side sleeping. The Wisp and the N20. I could be open to more options, but as I mentionned, any pillows masks is not an option if there are prongs inside the nostrils (burning sensation for me). I would love to have suggestions and comments!

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: N20 or Wisp?
Unfortunately, what you don't want to hear is that you have to try them all to see what works.
PITA to do, but everyone is different in shape, size & RX pressure

My personal preference, the Wisp and N20 would be last on the list.
I am a (mostly) side sleeper.
The Wisp and N20 have a plastic brace forward of the ear on the cheekbone.
IMNSHO that would dig into your face while sleeping on your side.
Post Reply Post Reply
I sleep on my side about 90% of the time and the Wisp is my #1 mask. I would love to wear my Dreamwear all the time, but just can't control the leaks in any position or with any mask adjustments. Leaks are small, but annoying, and frequent. Leaks are way down on the Wisp and it doesn't shift as much when moving. The mask frame is soft and comes in a choice of fabric or silicone. I have the fabric one and don't notice problems with comfort. The plastic tabs come down around my jawline and don't cause problems with comfort. I use a foam cervical collar which prevents mouth leaks for me instead of a chin strap, and it helps to hold the frame in place.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2017, 01:18 PM)Whacked Wrote: Unfortunately, what you don't want to hear is that you have to try them all to see what works.
PITA to do, but everyone is different in shape, size & RX pressure

My personal preference, the Wisp and N20 would be last on the list.
I am a (mostly) side sleeper.
The Wisp and N20 have a plastic brace forward of the ear on the cheekbone.
IMNSHO that would dig into your face while sleeping on your side.

Thanks. Then what would be your suggestion, given what I wrote? I understand many love the P10 or Swift FX, but prongs are really an issue for me...
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not familiar with the N20 so can only recommend the Wisp.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Solipsiste,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I hope you find a mask that will work for you, it is the most challenging part of this whole thing.
I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I've actually used all three masks.

Of them, the Eson 2 was my favorite, the N20 second and the Wisp 3rd.

I loved the magnet clips on the N20.  It was really easy to get on and off.  I thought it was comfortable.  My issue is that it leaked around my eyes and I couldn't get it to stop.  I even tried the remzzz's liners.  If it hadn't leaked, I probably would have stuck with it.

For whatever reason, the Wisp never worked for me.  I never got it to fit right, even though it's similar to the N20.  Of all the masks I've tried, it was the one that I gave up on the earliest.  I can't really remember exactly what I found wrong with it because I didn't use it very long.

Both the Wisp and the N20 are more minimal than the Eson 2.  I think that was an issue for me as well as I couldn't get either mask to stay put.  However, if you didn't have an issue with the headgear on the P10, you'll probably be fine with either of those two masks.

Everyone is different, so you will really have to try out the masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2017, 10:32 AM)Solipsiste Wrote: Resmed P10 - It had a lot of positives, but the prongs inside the nostrils created a burning sensation. Despite the use of coco oil or Lanolin, I decided I could not use this.
Note: The "prongs" (wrong term, should say "pillows") should NOT be inside the nares, they should only rest "ON" the nares.  If they are inside it indicates a larger size is required.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.
A few things: the Eson 2 is definitely too cumbersome for me. Even if I want to sleep on the side, since I am a back sleeper, I still end up on the back often. The Eson2 then weighs too much on my face for comfort.
As for the P10, I had it for a week. I tried different sizes, but in the end, there was always a burning sensation. I guess some of us are allergic to this fabric? It was enough to wake me up at night, forcing me to take the mask out...

I guess I will have to keep using the Dreamwear for now until maybe I get a chance to try the N20 or Wisp. I love the Dreawear anyway, I just think it's not as easy to wear on the side. A note on the DW: If I use the chart, I should use the small head. Yet, any head works fine, no leak even with the large, and I get even more air this way...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wisp stats mousetrap 6 3,554 09-08-2023, 10:27 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  WISP Nasal Mask users Gus Wah 5 837 07-23-2022, 10:53 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
Gross Switched from wisp to dreamwear. Also... jjohnson 2 679 07-05-2021, 10:26 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Resmed N10 vs Respironics Wisp...? player 10 3,092 12-07-2020, 02:27 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  I hate my P10 so I'm switching back to the Wisp kdmorris410 21 6,600 01-31-2020, 08:47 PM
Last Post: old82
  Problem with new PR Wisp mask? cate1898 6 1,610 02-11-2019, 11:50 PM
Last Post: CB91710
  Wisp nasal-pillows mask? Or is that a canard? Fats Drywaller 0 926 11-07-2018, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Fats Drywaller

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.