Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking up unable to exhale
Waking up unable to exhale
Hello,

I'm 39 female and for the past several months have been waking up a few times a night with the feeling of being unable to exhale.   It usually is always in the morning hours.  I did a sleep apnea home study and the findings came back borderline.  But I'm still experiencing waking up not breathing because I can't force air out.  
I've done sleep apnea studies in house in the past too because I snore and I'm always tired, but they came back borderline as well.  
I'm overweight but not majorly so.  An ENT once told me I have a very large tongue and a tiny epiglottis.  
Anyway, I was wondering if it's worth it for me to pursue getting more sleep apnea testing done.  Would a CPAP machine even help me, since I'm not gasping to breathe in, I'm struggling to breathe out? 
Anyone have experience with something similar?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking up unable to exhale
I had exactly that, and it is terrifying.  Some nights I was sure that I was going to die.  Getting on CPAP made it entirely go away.  It is wonderful knowing that you can go to sleep and won't wake up in terror.  I think that a real sleep study in a sleep lab is worth pursuing.  If nothing else, you could rule out sleep apnea.  Whatever is happening to you, it is not normal and not OK.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like something i had, got better after UPPP, the part of the surgery where they removed the tonsils under the tongue, you dont have to have a full surgery, just ask for removal of those two under the tongue.
Post Reply Post Reply
BlueRabbit,
Not being able to breath out sounds like you should see a Pulmonologist first. He/she will probably do some lung function tests. Rule out stuff like COPD.

And definitely agree that you should have an overnight sleep test.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have a copy of your studies it would help us understand your apnea.
Another option would be to trial a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet our slightly better, a AutoSet for Her.
The ResMed brand is important because their implementation of EPR has the advantage of better management of the subtle forms of breathing disorder we have. The For Her algorithm may be the best one for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes to another polysomnography overnight.  If done correctly, it will not only show which problems you have, but they'll take steps to correct the problem with a view to a prescription which will make your treatment better and make it more sensible, and supportable (insurers?), to get new equipment that actually works for you.  You need evidence, and so do the people whose job it is to ensure you get treated correctly. That comes via the sleep lab.

And a visit to a pulmonologist is a good idea as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Before CPAP If I was lying on my back and managing to breath out my nose, my exhale could be blocked. Apparently I have loose tissue in my throat area that does this. It is only on my back. Haven't had a problem wince using CPAP--I have felt I couldn't breath but it was because my nose was plugged. Instead of opening my mouth I took off the mask. Can you mouth breath when this happens?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 810 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 281 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 155 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,857 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 394 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 259 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 191 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.