Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] First time user — is it normal that breathing out the nose is difficult?
First time user — is it normal that breathing out the nose is difficult?
I just received a Resmed Airsense 10 to try it for a week. I tried two different masks and decided for the Philips one which is nose pillows if I understand correctly. 

With both masks I have difficulties breathing out of the nose due to the mask and air flow being there. It makes me want to breath out of my mouth instead. 

Is this normal? The med sales rep who delivered the machine to me said this is normal and that I will get used to it. 

She changed some settings but I didn’t feel it made a big difference so in the end I told her to set it back to what my doctor told her. 

Please let me know if you need any further information. I had a sleep study in the hospital and was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. Doctor said that when I sleep on the sides my values are fine but once I sleep on my back I stop breathing more often. So the average turns out to be just mild sleep apnea while the values for sleeping on the back are more severe. 

Also, are there any apps for this machine which can provide data to Apple Health or something that’s easy to read? I currently track my sleep using the Apple Watch and my deep sleep and REM sleep phases are both way below the amounts they should be.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First time user — is it normal that breathing out the nose is difficult?
Do you breathe out of your nose while not on Cpap? It may just take some time to get used the "feel" of the air pressure.

Try wearing your mask and use the Pap machine before bed, sitting up reading or watching TV. This will help you get used to it.

Are you using EPR (exhale pressure relief). This lowers the pressure a bit when exhaling against the pressure. Also what pressure(s) is your machine set at? The minimum may be too low.

Which Airsense 10 are you using?

Airsense 10 Elite
Airsense 10 Autoset
Airsense 10 AutoSet for

Is there a SD card in your machine? If yes, you can use the OSCAR software and upload a chart here. We can help you get your machine optimized.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cool 
(07-18-2023, 07:03 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Do you breathe out of your nose while not on Cpap?  It may just take some time to get used the "feel" of the air pressure.  

Yes, I always breathe using my nose. 

Try wearing your mask and use the Pap machine before bed, sitting up reading or watching TV.  This will help you get used to it.  

Are you using EPR (exhale pressure relief).  This lowers the pressure a bit when exhaling against the pressure.  Also what pressure(s) is your machine set at?  The minimum may be too low.

These are the settings I can see:

Main screen:
Pressure — 4.0 - 10.0
And showing a big 4.0 below (so I guess that’s current pressure?)

Options: 
RampTime — Auto
Humidity level — 4
Pressure relief — on 
SmartStart — on
Mask — Pillows
Tube — SlimLine

Which Airsense 10 are you using?  

Airsense 10 Elite
Airsense 10 Autoset
Airsense 10 AutoSet for

It says Airsense 10 AutoSet on the machine. 

Is there a SD card in your machine?  If yes, you can use the OSCAR software and upload a chart here.  We can help you get your machine optimized.

yes, it does. 

See my response enclosed above in blue.
Post Reply Post Reply
We've found that for most folk here, using a minimum pressure of 4cm is just too low.  It can make you feel starved for air and as you stated... you want to open your mouth.

What is your EPR set at, 1, 2 or 3?  If it's set at 2, you won't feel pressure relief until your pressure reached 6cm.  Example: (6 minus 2 EPR = EPAP of 4).

Set your minimum pressure to 6cm, use EPR 1 and and see if that feels better.

Work your way up to 7cm minimum with 2 EPR after a week or so.  

These are very low settings and you'll be surprised how fast you will adapt.

Order a Clinicians manual HERE.

Download the OSCAR software.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It took me a couple months for it to feel normal breathing through my nose with the mask on. Just make sure you stick with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2023, 09:27 AM)OpalRose Wrote: We've found that for most folk here, using a minimum pressure of 4cm is just too low.  It can make you feel starved for air and as you stated... you want to open your mouth.

What is your EPR set at, 1, 2 or 3?  If it's set at 2, you won't feel pressure relief until your pressure reached 6cm.  Example: (6 minus 2 EPR = EPAP of 4).

Apologies, How do I make those changes? I can’t find it in the settings menu and the sales rep didn’t explain it in that detail.

(07-18-2023, 09:27 AM)OpalRose Wrote: We've found that for most folk here, using a minimum pressure of 4cm is just too low.  It can make you feel starved for air and as you stated... you want to open your mouth.

Ok I found the clinical menu. My EPR was set to 3.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I changed the settings as suggested above and indeed it feels easier to breath. I believe I should be able to do it.

Even though I changed the minimum pressure to 6 though, it seems the pressure keeps staying at 4.0 (if the big number in the big circle is the current pressure).

Also, not sure if it’s important, but the mask they gave me actually isn’t a Philips but a Resmed Airfit P30i. Guess when I showed her the Philips one she picked a similar one from Resmed.
Post Reply Post Reply
It may be that the ramp feature is set to 4. You may want to turn off the ramp feature.

The mask brand doesn't matter. What matters is if it is a good fit for you and you're comfortable with it.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
After my first two nights:

1. First night was terrible. I woke up frequently as my nose started to hurt from the nasal pillow and I got panic attacks fearing I would suffocate. I must add that I’m currently going through a sh**ty phase of my life with anxiety and panic attacks from a break up and subsequent health issues.

2. Second night felt good and I thought I slept well. Waking up in the morning I almost couldn’t notice the mask and breathing through it anymore even though the autoset had increased the air pressure to 6.5 or so.

But I guess this was due to the fact that I was sleep deprived from the night before (I also took 2mg of Melatonin). When I checked my Apple Watch sleep tracker my sleep phases actually were worse than other nights. I generally don’t get enough deep sleep and REM sleep (probably because of the break up and midlife crisis I’m going through) but this night was particularly bad with less than half hour deep sleep and more awake time than I could remember:

Total time asleep: 7:53 hrs
REM: 19% (vs. 20% on average)
Deep: 5% (vs. 9% on average) 

I’ll try to get that Oscar data later.

Question: Will the CPAP eventually improve deep sleep and REM sleep phases? This was one of my objectives (my sleep apnea seems only mild).
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m still figuring out how to get the Oscar data so bear with me. 

But this is what the CPAP machine says as a summary:

Used hrs. 45.4hrs
AVG. Usage 9.1hrs
Pressure 7.0 
Leak 22L/min
AHI 1.4 
Total AI 1.2
Central AI 1.0
Events per hours 1.7
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 81 1,511 50 minutes ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Is this mouth breathing on flow r. Experiencing aerophagia with pressure above 6cmH20 Jonkier 1 81 6 hours ago
Last Post: Narcil
  Anyone else have trouble breathing through their nose when sleeping? POOKISTAN 7 207 Yesterday, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Inspiration and Expiration Time MrIvanDrago 18 1,118 04-22-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: jake79
  My insp time is always longer than my exp time...is that bad? jake79 2 99 04-22-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: jake79
  myAir when sleep time is 4am to 4pm the next day iknownothing 1 91 04-22-2024, 12:31 AM
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 12 308 04-20-2024, 05:26 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.