Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

N30i vs. F30i
N30i vs. F30i
Anyone have any preference between the N30i and F30i? I am currently using an N30i and even though I am not a mouth breather I am looking to switch to a F30i mask! The reason for the change is that ResMed redesigned the exhalation port on the N30i and I feel like I have trouble exhaling with the new port! The F30i has similar exhalation ports as the original N30i design! Your thoughts on this change please!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: N30i vs. F30i
I have tried both. I actually have the opposite issues that you do. I am a default mouth breather, so I like the F30i, but dislike the exhalation port, as it blows so much. Vice versa, I like the port on the N30i, but I wake up whenever I get even a trivial a mouth leak. Go figure!

The F20 I originally had has a third type of check valve-like exhaust port (which was my favorite) located on the elbow, and it has minimal resistance and no blow back. But I did not like a FF mask on the bridge of my nose and I prefer the hose on the top of my head. If you find your preference would be for the check valve, it may be that the key difference is finding a mask family compatible with that elbow.

I really have no experience with other brands, so I am curious to see what others may think.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm just trying out the N30i. I love the design and it works (I've trained myself to keep my mouth shut!) but it feels like I can't exhale enough. Apparently the older design used to have more air shooting out but people didn't like it, so they made this new design. I've seen more than a few people complaining that they "can't get enough air" with the new design.
Post Reply Post Reply
I removed the "filter" in my N30i, it's louder, but easier to breathe.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve been seeing people doing that! And it doesn’t cause leaks or pressure drops doing that?
Post Reply Post Reply
Not that I have noticed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm also using the F30i, but trying to switch to the N30i. 
What I've noticed about the mask and also read somewhere in reviews is that if you tighten the mask to much it will start blocking the airflow, either by squeezing your nose, or because the mask is pulled so far up the the mask cushion get compressed (new mask type).
However if I leave it so loose that this does not happen, It will leak and I will probably just lose it somewhere in the night.
What I am trying now is attaching the straps of my F30i to the N30i using a couple of tie-raps. I noticed when I pull the mask backwards instead of upwards, the fit is much more stable, and the mask is easier to breath.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started off with the N30i and the NEW cushion design. hated it. didn't feel like I could breathe. Went to my DME and they happened to have some of the old cushions in stock, and I can breathe just fine through them. (the only bummer is that because of the hard plastic they can move a bit more if you're a side sleeper). 
well, it's a triple bummer because it's hard to get the old ones!
Post Reply Post Reply
@theredheadsaid...

I've started the opposite, from the old to new. From my perspective, the adjustment of the headgear and the old N30i nasal pillow had been more forgiving than the new style. I did get to the point, where the new N30i works well after a number of trial and error. It's probably designed more for people sleeping on their back, it is marginally usable for side sleepers.

I don't recall, if the pressure had been adjusted when started to use the N30i, it's currently ranges 8-20, but most of the times it does not go above 12...

@DJont...

Removing the filter sounds interesting... may even try removing the filter from the new N30i and drill the same size holes for the outside, that effectively would make it the old style n30i...

"Life is dream, awakening is death..."
- Chinese proverb
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: N30i vs. F30i fitting
I was using n30i, loved it but mouth open issues happening, so now I'm trying the f30i.  I used a small n30i, but small f30i seems more pinched, anybody have to go a size up when switching?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,567 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 342 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,540 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  New CPAP User - f30i Mask Troubles CcReesezzzzz01 6 824 01-31-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: CcReesezzzzz01
Question [Equipment] N30i / P30i pillow attachment fail glomph 2 340 01-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: glomph
  ResMed F30i recall (for warnings about magnets) NelsonM 7 987 12-27-2023, 03:18 PM
Last Post: alpharomeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.