Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: AirFit F10
Humidifier: integrated
CPAP Pressure: 4 - 18
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

NASAL PAD
After a few nights of using my CPAP machine I am adding one thing : RESMED GECKO NASAL PAD. The bridge of my nose is adjusting to the mask and is a bit sore. Mask is not over-tightened at all. I chose a full mask as I'm a nose and mouth breather when sleeping. Anyone use a nasal pad ? How is it working for you ?

For me I'm new to CPAP and have just begun using it after recent diagnosis of apnea. I have adjusted the mask to be just tight enough but not to loose to cause leaking.
02-08-2016 12:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Ed1101 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed AirSence 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Aifit F10
Humidifier: Integral
CPAP Pressure: 15-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Began APAP 8 Feb 2016. Titration Study AHI=29 PreCPAP AHI= 86

RE: NASAL PAD
Only 2 weeks on APAP with same setup. I had problems with the F10 mask with my pressure 15-20. The mask seems marginal for that pressure and the mouth opening on the medium size is small for me but fit vertical (eye to chin) and it tended to leak at corners of my mouth. During the night it would slide up and the bottom would be in my mouth leaking and leaks around the eyes dried them out. Loose straps/tight straps made no difference. Mouth so dry it felt like it was glued shut. Someone here had suggested a chin strap to stop dry mouth.

I have not tried the RESMED GECKO NASAL PAD but I did get the RemZzzs CPAP mask liners and a ResMed chin strap. RemZzzs liners are not cheap at ~$1 per night but leaks are mostly gone, bridge of nose ok, slide up gone, mouth only moderately dry (changed humidity from auto to 6 and 82 deg temp also). If you do use the RemZzzs liners be sure to stretch them ALL around to ensure a good fit. They curl up around the mask when stretched properly. They feel good ... better than the silicone and straps can be loosened a bit.

Please post your results with the RESMED GECKO NASAL PAD.

It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. --Confucius
02-22-2016 09:01 PM
Evpraxia Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift LT for Her - Nasal Pillows System
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 7-17

Other Comments: Cat Staff, bibliophile, love Classical & Byzantine music

Sex: Female

(02-22-2016 09:01 PM)Ed1101 Wrote:  Only 2 weeks on APAP with same setup.

I have not tried the RESMED GECKO NASAL PAD but I did get the RemZzzs CPAP mask liners and a ResMed chin strap. RemZzzs liners are not cheap at ~$1 per night but leaks are mostly gone, bridge of nose ok, slide up gone, mouth only moderately dry (changed humidity from auto to 6 and 82 deg temp also). If you do use the RemZzzs liners be sure to stretch them ALL around to ensure a good fit. They curl up around the mask when stretched properly. They feel good ... better than the silicone and straps can be loosened a bit.

Mask liners can be made by cutting up a t-shirt or other all cotton knit fabric. You might want to try this while you still have the purchased liners, so if the home made ones need tweaking you still have the purchased ones to use as a pattern.

My husband used to use liners before he switched machines and went to using nasal pillows and chin strap.

Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
02-23-2016 01:11 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Welcome back Evaprxia. Haven't seen you post in some time now.

Kindest regards,

mongo

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-23-2016 01:23 PM
Evpraxia Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift LT for Her - Nasal Pillows System
CPAP Pressure: 7-17

Other Comments: Cat Staff, bibliophile, love Classical & Byzantine music

Sex: Female

Thanks!

Been busy repairing walls and painting - that is how my retirement looks!

Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
02-23-2016 01:48 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
steelerduk Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto
Mask Make & Model: AirFit F10
Humidifier: integrated
CPAP Pressure: 4 - 18
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Update:

Have been using the pad and It does keep the bridge of the nose from getting sore. The cost for this Resmed Nasal Pad is too high though. For anyone looking to add this type of gel pad I would suggest Respura boomerang gel pad. It is $8.00 compared to the Resmed pad at $24.

I've bought both now and they are the same. One issue with these gel pads. Although they are " tacky " in the way they feel ... they don't stick to your nose bridge very well so when applying I needed to tilt my head back after placing it and putting on my mask.

Very comfortable and does keep the nose bridge from getting sore. As mentioned above postings, I'm also going to try the fabric liners and see how they work for me.
02-27-2016 03:46 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Nasal vs nasal pillows: my impressions rhodesengr 8 1,909 06-29-2016 10:40 PM
Last Post: OMyMyOHellYes
  [CPAP] Nasal mask versus Nasal pillows MsFigg 3 1,614 05-28-2015 11:27 PM
Last Post: Jim Bronson
  Nasal Irritation iwth Nasal Pillows... flyfishinbob 12 3,087 01-31-2015 04:40 AM
Last Post: TheManseHen
  Note to nasal pillow users - probably not a good idea to step on the nasal pillows Evpraxia 6 1,604 01-01-2015 11:47 PM
Last Post: Evpraxia
  Switching from nasal mask to nasal pillow mask Dewayne759 12 4,343 06-08-2014 12:11 AM
Last Post: BamaSteve
  Nasal prong and nasal mask fitting -- seal question. Help me save my dad! weeabooshogun 14 9,286 10-28-2013 01:46 PM
Last Post: djjwilly
  Nasal bridge infection - sleep iq gel nasal mask whodi 15 6,020 12-26-2012 05:02 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred