Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

NASAL PAD
NASAL PAD
After a few nights of using my CPAP machine I am adding one thing : RESMED GECKO NASAL PAD. The bridge of my nose is adjusting to the mask and is a bit sore. Mask is not over-tightened at all. I chose a full mask as I'm a nose and mouth breather when sleeping. Anyone use a nasal pad ? How is it working for you ?

For me I'm new to CPAP and have just begun using it after recent diagnosis of apnea. I have adjusted the mask to be just tight enough but not to loose to cause leaking.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: NASAL PAD
Only 2 weeks on APAP with same setup. I had problems with the F10 mask with my pressure 15-20. The mask seems marginal for that pressure and the mouth opening on the medium size is small for me but fit vertical (eye to chin) and it tended to leak at corners of my mouth. During the night it would slide up and the bottom would be in my mouth leaking and leaks around the eyes dried them out. Loose straps/tight straps made no difference. Mouth so dry it felt like it was glued shut. Someone here had suggested a chin strap to stop dry mouth.

I have not tried the RESMED GECKO NASAL PAD but I did get the RemZzzs CPAP mask liners and a ResMed chin strap. RemZzzs liners are not cheap at ~$1 per night but leaks are mostly gone, bridge of nose ok, slide up gone, mouth only moderately dry (changed humidity from auto to 6 and 82 deg temp also). If you do use the RemZzzs liners be sure to stretch them ALL around to ensure a good fit. They curl up around the mask when stretched properly. They feel good ... better than the silicone and straps can be loosened a bit.

Please post your results with the RESMED GECKO NASAL PAD.
It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. --Confucius
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2016, 09:01 PM)Ed1101 Wrote: Only 2 weeks on APAP with same setup.

I have not tried the RESMED GECKO NASAL PAD but I did get the RemZzzs CPAP mask liners and a ResMed chin strap. RemZzzs liners are not cheap at ~$1 per night but leaks are mostly gone, bridge of nose ok, slide up gone, mouth only moderately dry (changed humidity from auto to 6 and 82 deg temp also). If you do use the RemZzzs liners be sure to stretch them ALL around to ensure a good fit. They curl up around the mask when stretched properly. They feel good ... better than the silicone and straps can be loosened a bit.

Mask liners can be made by cutting up a t-shirt or other all cotton knit fabric. You might want to try this while you still have the purchased liners, so if the home made ones need tweaking you still have the purchased ones to use as a pattern.

My husband used to use liners before he switched machines and went to using nasal pillows and chin strap.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome back Evaprxia. Haven't seen you post in some time now.

Kindest regards,

mongo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!

Been busy repairing walls and painting - that is how my retirement looks!
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
Update:

Have been using the pad and It does keep the bridge of the nose from getting sore. The cost for this Resmed Nasal Pad is too high though. For anyone looking to add this type of gel pad I would suggest Respura boomerang gel pad. It is $8.00 compared to the Resmed pad at $24.

I've bought both now and they are the same. One issue with these gel pads. Although they are " tacky " in the way they feel ... they don't stick to your nose bridge very well so when applying I needed to tilt my head back after placing it and putting on my mask.

Very comfortable and does keep the nose bridge from getting sore. As mentioned above postings, I'm also going to try the fabric liners and see how they work for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 862 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,156 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal Dilators st1800e 9 1,393 06-19-2023, 07:16 AM
Last Post: st1800e
  Nasal Congestion Rgn3 16 1,482 05-08-2023, 03:17 PM
Last Post: hopeforusall
  [Pressure] Nasal IrritTion? NannyRobina 2 613 06-20-2022, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Nasal swelling/congestion after 3~5 hrs with CPAP, will steroid nasal spray work? ronragus 7 1,269 03-17-2022, 10:04 AM
Last Post: hegel

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.