Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

NASAL SWELLING - STUFFED UP @ 3 am
RE: NASAL SWELLING - STUFFED UP @ 3 am
Google says.... Wilson's solution, a combination of Gentamycin or Tobramycin and normal saline solution, is the classic antibiotic irrigation.

think i will stick to my xylitol/saline solution!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Daria. I Googled it also and I guess that I looked right past the correct one. Kept finding basketball stuff. Maybe I was being less than patient.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Payton. I used a steroid nasal spray last night in addition to taking a warm shower before bed (doing this every night now) and slept all night with the CPAP with no congestion issues. It's too early to tell if that will work again, but I was relieved.

I have a Neti pot but need more practice using it. (If that's what you meant by 'nasal rinse').

(02-11-2016, 12:34 AM)PaytonA Wrote: What the heck is Wilson's solution?

I now often wake up once somewhere between 4 and 6 AM and often my nose is somewhat plugged. I do not think that it is swollen. Last night I used a nasal rinse before bed and it helped. I still woke up but my nose was not plugged. I have been using my humidity almost as high as it will go in auto.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Post Reply Post Reply
I have both the Neti Pot and a squeeze bottle for the nasal rinse. I use the squeeze bottle. One rinse has kept me in reasonably good shape for 2 nights and I think I will use it again tonight. I am going to try the Xlear that Daria recommends.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
It's interesting to know about the existence of the antibiotic saline solution. If I had a sinus infection, I'd rather use that than oral antibiotics.

What's the xylitol for?

I have just been reading about alternate nostril breathing (yogic breathing technique) at Holistic Online. Sounds like something to try the next time I wake up in the next time I wake up at 3 am & can only breathe out of one nostril. It's supposed to "regulate" the nasal cycle.

(02-11-2016, 02:29 AM)DariaVader Wrote: Google says.... Wilson's solution, a combination of Gentamycin or Tobramycin and normal saline solution, is the classic antibiotic irrigation.

think i will stick to my xylitol/saline solution!

Post Reply Post Reply
Lucked out today. Had to go to the local drug store anyway and I found the Xlear right there on the shelf. It looks like tonight I will start the Xlear rather than a follow up nasal rinse. Hope this works. Of course it has not helped that my ignorant DME has sent me nothing but standard filters not the hypoallergenic ones that I need and I did not catch it for a while. Needless to say, I will be checking out the next batch much more closely.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2016, 06:52 PM)green wings Wrote: What's the xylitol for?

xylitol is an antibacterial but not an antibiotic. The bacteria die when they try to feed on it, but it has no side effects for you. Dentists have recommended xylitol chewing gum for a long time for that reason.

It was a dentist who created the xlear product after experimenting with using it in a nasal spray for a grandchild with chronic ear infections - if i remember the story correctly.
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
Fresh from a visit with my ENT post nasal surgery. She said that it is normal for the nasal turbinates to swell on the low side and unclog when turning to the other side. I told her that I sometimes had to shut off my machine and stand up to reduce the turbinate swelling. She suggested using Ayr Saline gel to keep my nostrils moist. That could help reduce the swelling. I think I would like to get some of that Wilson's solution as well. Not being able to breathe is a real issue for compliance. I am not a mouth breather so a FF Mask probably wouldn't help. I would like to try a larger nasal mask because the one I have presses on my nostrils sometimes clogging them. Seems like this problem is pretty common.
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Daria. That is good to know about the xylitol.
(02-11-2016, 09:16 PM)DariaVader Wrote:
(02-11-2016, 06:52 PM)green wings Wrote: What's the xylitol for?

xylitol is an antibacterial but not an antibiotic. The bacteria die when they try to feed on it, but it has no side effects for you. Dentists have recommended xylitol chewing gum for a long time for that reason.

It was a dentist who created the xlear product after experimenting with using it in a nasal spray for a grandchild with chronic ear infections - if i remember the story correctly.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using the Xlear product for a while now, and it works wonders. It's much gentler on the nasal passages and doesn't sting. I also use the Kids Xlear on my 16 month old Grandaughter, and she no longer fights me to put nose drops in when needed. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 862 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Eye swelling Luvbug 1 335 12-15-2023, 09:05 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,156 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal Dilators st1800e 9 1,392 06-19-2023, 07:16 AM
Last Post: st1800e
  Nasal Congestion Rgn3 16 1,482 05-08-2023, 03:17 PM
Last Post: hopeforusall
Angry Puffiness and Swelling readyforsleep 7 1,844 09-19-2022, 09:15 AM
Last Post: SleepyGal2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.