Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

NEED EXPLANATIONS RE: Ti MAX/MIN, TRIGGER, CYCLE please?
RE: NEED EXPLANATIONS RE: Ti MAX/MIN, TRIGGER, CYCLE please?
When I got my Aircurve V10 Auto I thought I'd try it out while awake. The default settings (previously mentioned) were on and I settled back to see how much comfort this machine was going to give me. Max Ipap was about 20, Min Epap was about 9.5 and PS was 4. I'm lying there and breathing away when I notice something strange. I'm still inhaling but the machine now wants me to go into exhale mode. WTF? Is the BiPAP controlling my breathing?

Some research strongly suggested that I raise my Ti max so I played around with it until my own exhalation made the machine go into exhale mode which was about 2.7. I also set the trigger function to Very High and the cycle function to low. These settings made the VAuto experience a comfortable one for me. The Ti function is very important for your comfort levels so keep experimenting until you get it right. If you set the Ti max higher than necessary your own exhalation should make the machine do the same which is the reason I set the trigger cycle to very high.
Post Reply Post Reply
Coffee
Good morning holden4th.  It is nice to meet you.  Thank you for replying.  I was jus sitting here trying to figure out what to make of last night's results.  I'm going to post the OSCAR chart in my main thread,  In anticipation of my BIPAP Re: New Thread, but I am now going to address this Ti biz here.  

It has previously been pointed out that in my case adjusting the Ti Max higher than 2.2s really wasn't a factor in my therapy based on my chart information.  But, on my own I did bring down my Ti Max setting to 2.3s from 2.5s for last night just in case.  So of course I did reach the 2.3s setting...2.3s for 95% of the time.

I am a little hesitant to spend time adjusting the Ti Max and other "comfort" ? settings because a sage advisor mentioned that the bottom line TI isn't really a factor in my therapy.  That being said, your reply sits well with me, and I am going to try your experiment today.

Thank you very much for participating in this thread.

Regards,
Plmnb
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2020, 07:22 AM)Plmnb Wrote: I don't care about the numbers in as much as they are just numbers, I just don't feel as rested as I want to be and I get sleepy too early in the day.  Don't the numbers help to act as a guide to FEELING better?

In your case, no. Because you are not getting enough sleep while wearing the mask. You can make all manner of adjustments to your CPAP machine, but if you are using it for only a couple of hours a night you can't expect it to make you feel better.

In my opinion, the first step is compliance, the second step is addressing leaks, and the third and final step is making adjustments to the CPAP machine. You are skipping over the first step and going to the third.

So, what can be done? Well, try things like bobby pins to attach the mask to your hair so that it's harder to take off. Some people also add an extra velcro strap. Also, wear the mask and have the CPAP machine running while you are awake and doing something like reading, watching TV, or listening to music, podcasts, or audio books. This will help you adapt.

You mentioned that you have brought this up with health care providers. I urge you to follow up on that. Perhaps a change in medication, or at least a temporary addition of a medication to help you sleep. You will eventually get adapted and will be able to keep the mask on all night because it will become your new normal. But you must be in the one to make the commitment to wearing the mask
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to hear from you Sleepster.

Thank you very much for the tips, quite helpful indeed.  I like the ideas of bobby pins and extra velcro strap.

As to using the system while watching tv etc. I have thought about it but always discounted it because I didn't want to mess up my OSCAR results.  I was unsure of posting charts with readings from times of doing this.  I know others do it, but I can't recall anyone posting disclaimers that such and such a session were "while not actually sleeping on purpose".  Is there a way to handle this, how should this be done?  Does it matter in the scheme of things?

The more actual sleep issue is such a tough one for me, but I am trying.  I am pretty sure that darn 1 1/2 hour sleep and feeling fabulous night is messing around with my actually accomplishing this.  I suppose it was an anomaly that I need to get out of my head.

I actually spoke to my psychiatrists office yesterday.  I asked them for medication to help me sleep.  They said no at this point, which I can understand because they want to see how I do with the medications they just prescribed.  The meds I am on now require blood tests at certain intervals and I actually have a blood test to do this morning.  Depending on the results, we shall see about if adjustments need to be made.  I suspect that IF sleep medication is prescribed it would happen at my next psych dr. visit which is coming up in a little bit.

Regards,
Plmnb
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirCurve 10 Vauto - Trigger Settings MrIvanDrago 1 327 02-08-2024, 05:31 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Importance of Spont Cycle % SingleH 10 638 01-14-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Trigger in Airsense 10 Autoset Zeitung 3 373 01-06-2024, 02:09 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Aircurve 10 VAUTO - missing Ti MAX/Min,Trigger, Rise time? sleep2023 9 1,018 06-26-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: sleep2023
Video Little deep sleep based on sleep cycle Mouchet 3 1,395 04-02-2023, 11:09 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  ResMed AirCurve Trigger/Cycle brainf0g 17 8,209 02-20-2023, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  what is this in expiratory cycle? koy23 7 790 01-05-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: koy23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.