Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

NEED HELP!! Getting equipment tomorrow!!
NEED HELP!! Getting equipment tomorrow!!
Hi Guys

I did not realize how difficult it was going to be to get my equipment, it has been like wandering through a maze, with the insurance companies, incomplete paperwork, doctor's signatures, etc.  Well tomorrow is day!!  I had researched the equipment and know that i am getting a Resmed Aircurve V10 Auto bipap machine and had an idea about masks.  I had read that the DME should have you try on masks, have you lay down and bring you up to pressure and help you with the initial setup,  seems like a reasonable way to start.  I happened to be going by the selected DME today and stopped by, I dont think that I am going to get that sort of service.  It appears to be a typical office setting with out any where to lay down, etc.

I guess I need some help determining what the best method would be in working with the DME to obtain the best mask.  I am not a mouth breather and would prefer not to have a full face mask and would like to have a minimalist mask.  I really want this therapy to work and feel that getting started out in the right direction is best.  I understand that the process is not going to happen immediately and that it will take some time.  I am hoping that some of the more experienced members could give me an approach in dealing with the 
DME to advance my chances of getting a mask and other necessities that starts my treatment in the right direction.  Looking forward to your advice!!  Thanks

Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: NEED HELP!! Getting equipment tomorrow!!
Hey, you're going in *prepared*, so you've got a leg up!

I have been looking at mask selection like getting a pair of new shoes. I'll try them on, and find one that seems to fit and feel the best. And maybe later I may want some new shoes, or just to have a choice in shoes. So I can order a different one on my own, out of pocket, maybe from a supplier who lets me return it if I don't like it. At least, that's been how I've been approaching it.

Also, I don't know if all DMEs work this way, but even my crappy dr DME said he'd let me come back and get a 2nd mask after I tried whatever mask I decided to take home.

Based on what I've read here, I'd say it would be very unusual to find your perfect mask on the first try. (Then again, I bet some P10 people will chime in to the contrary. LOL)

Oh, and don't judge a book by its cover.
- My crap dr DME operated out of the sleep clinic, so "fittings" were in the same room sleep studies are done (ie: you could go lay on the big cushy bed). But they actually didn't even fit me! They just handed me the mask that I'd liked at the sleep study, and sent me on my way.

- At my 2nd DME (because I fired my dr as my DME), it is an office room with a conference table, dry erase boards, and desk chairs (on swivels and wheels). This was a weird environment (for sure!), but the BEST fitting! The guy brought in several masks for me to try, with many sizes for each mask. He hooked them up to my machine (with it blowing). He instructed me how to lean back in the chair to try to simulate the angle of my head for sleeping. He instructed how best to put on each mask, with the nuances, etc.

So... you just never know.

And honestly, after my dealing with my crap dr DME, I'd just settle on walking out of the office with the machine you want (who cares about the mask?). But that may be my jadedness speaking.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mark, many of us use the Resmed Airfit P10 nasal mask. It is lightweight, quiet and very easy to get a seal. The retail kit comes with all 3 nasal pillow sizes. The DME may want you to select one size, and I'm going to tell you that universally, if you think you're a medium...get the large.

Most of the time, you have 30 days to exchange a mask or try different sizes. Just make sure you understand the policy before leaving, and then take your time and get used to your selection. As long a you don't have serious mouth leak problems, the P10 is very easy, both my wife and I use them, and many of the people on the forum. As I like to say, you will be assimilated.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a good testimonial I just saw... http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid196024
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well don't feel like the Lone Ranger Silversnore. I had my prescription over a month ago and finally today got an "appointment" with the better of two DME's in our area. Anyway, that story is for another part of the forum I am sure. Yet this forum did a great job in preparing me to deal with the Sleep Centers and the DME's. You also seem to be prepared so just be positively assertive. You are in charge of your health so, being firm, get what you want. You are the one that has to live with the equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can highly recommend the Fisher & Paykel Eson nose mask (and they have the Eson 2 available as well now)

I am not a mouth breather, and I can't tolerate the nose cushion/pillow style of mask due to them irritating my nasal passages horrendously.

I'm a side sleeper, I use a firm flat "contoured for neck support" pillow, and I have no problem sleeping with the side of my head on the pillow.. I toss and turn much of the night due to shoulder and lower back pain, but the mask stays put in spite of that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi silversnore,
Good luck to you when you get your machine and mask tomorrow.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck.

If you haven't already please read the mask primer. See my signature.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2017, 08:56 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Mark, many of us use the Resmed Airfit P10 nasal mask. It is lightweight, quiet and very easy to get a seal.  The retail kit comes with all 3 nasal pillow sizes.  The DME may want you to select one size, and I'm going to tell you that universally, if you think you're a medium...get the large.  

Most of the time, you have 30 days to exchange a mask or try different sizes.  Just make sure you understand the policy before leaving, and then take your time and get used to your selection.  As long a you don't have serious mouth leak problems, the P10 is very easy, both my wife and I use them, and many of the people on the forum.  As I like to say, you will be assimilated.

+1 on the P10 and the retail kit with small/medium/large pillows in the kit.   I made the mistake of starting off with a nasal mask before reading up on CPAP message boards.  I bought a P10 kit online using my own money after about 30 days and never looked back.  I then had my Rx changed after I changed over successfully.

You have the rest of your life to experiment with other options.  The conventional wisdom is to try the P10 first.

Pretty much all of us navigated the same gauntlet you are living.  Your first month or so living with the thing, I think you'll find that this message board is far more useful than any durable medical equipment supplier, physician/nurse practitioner, or insurance company.   Hopefully, you end up like me where the machine is so integrated with your life that you rarely do anything beyond checking your AHI numbers on the LCD most mornings, cleaning the mask/hose, and occasionally ordering filters, pillows, and replacement hoses.

I buy gallon jugs of distilled water for the humidifier and only use tap water if I'm traveling.   Walmart is usually the cheapest place.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for all of your help.  Visited and received my equipment today.  I am very thankful for this forum and the guidance that was afforded by the members.  I was in a group of three people getting their equipment at the same time.  The other two simply took the equipment and mask without asking a question (and really not making sure that their masks fit, simply told to turn on mask fit and that was it).  I tried on a variety of masks, hooked them up to my machine and tried them out.  I ended up getting the Resmed P10 and to those that recommended the mask thanks.  It is like wearing nothing.  I brought everything home, set it up and tried it for  an hour, I think that I will be able to adapt, fingers crossed.  I then downloaded the data to Sleepyhead and looked at the data, wow.  Again I feel that I out in front of the pack due to you members help, thank you  all!!

Mark
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 546 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 375 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] Successful equipment modification tcurran 8 551 01-05-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  hammer44 - ASV Therapy Equipment Question hammer44 11 601 01-01-2024, 01:47 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] CPAP Equipment Selection mgonthier 1 333 09-13-2023, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Help assessing recent charts, appt. tomorrow (!) Julia63 3 461 08-28-2023, 11:10 AM
  What to do with "old" equipment? Paul Van Benschoten 10 939 06-30-2023, 08:34 AM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.